Why does GirlsAskGuys™?

Stops (''Taking a break'') whenever there is update but other websites do not?
Why does GirlsAskGuysâ„¢?

0|0
3|10

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know but its annoying. :-(

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• When a website is active, the server has a lock on the DLL files located in the \Bin\ folder. If you need to update one of these files, then you must first stop the website so the lock is released.
    If you do not have direct access, or the ability to stop your website, then follow these simple instructions prior to upgrading.
    Create a file named "app_offline. htm". It doesn't have to contain any text, just a blank file will work.
    Using FTP, copy this file to the root folder of your website.
    After the application is stopped, copy the necessary files into place.

Restart the Website
    When you are finished updating any files, then simply delete "app_offline. htm" to re-enable the website.
    Upon access to any page, the application will restart fresh.

Manually Recycle the Application
    If you are making updates to Asp. Net files, ones that are not located in the \Bin\ folder, then you can use this little trick to recycle the application after new files are uploaded to the website.
    Find and open the web. config file in the root folder.
    Make any small change within one of the comment sections.
    Save the file and the application will recycle the next time you access a page.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 2

What Guys Said 9

• how can they have the update, whilst people postin? o_O

0|1
    0|0
  • As far as I know if there is constant traffic it has to shut down for new update to go live.

0|1
    0|0
  • most websites i know of do actually shut down for a period of time when they are introducing updates

0|1
    0|0
  • that is when they eat their kitkats

0|1
    0|0
  • Based on my opinion there is only one main server and no multiple/backup servers.

0|1
    0|0
  • It depends on how their servers are set up.

0|1
    0|0
  • Some of the bank and credit card websites do the same thing. Being able to keep the data up-to-date across multiple servers and keeping the site in "always up" mode can be costly and difficult. Many businesses choose to have a scheduled maintenance window instead; it's mainly to save money.

0|1
    0|0
  • Reddit does it too, if they do it then I suppose it's acceptable for GaG.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't know thats a smart question

0|2
    0|0