Why do people ask questions on here when they don't want the advice?

Why do people ask questions when they don't want or are not ready for the advice?

Just to ask?

Do you have nothing better to do with your time?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on the particular situation.
    I've noticed that some people on GAG truly, genuinely do not know how to give advice. The advice they give sincerely can be taken as unuseful, unhelpful, or completely unproductive. Their advice may be filled with assumptions, speculations, and guesses that are presented as facts. If not given immediate applause, they may get defensive and try to start a shit storm with a string of argumentative, antagonistic comments. Many users here honestly lack the communication skills, resourcefulness, and open mind to give advice that's actually going to help and push someone in the right direction. Yet they over-exaggerate the effectiveness and worth of their words.

• I laughed while reading your opinion. Funny and true.

• I've been here for a while and I've noticed a pattern where many answerers seem to be here to stroke their egos. They're not really interested in making sure someone walks away with the help that they need. They're not truly passionate about catering to the unique needs of that situation or even attempting to truly understand the QA. It's all about receiving applause for them. It's all about upvotes and recognition so when they don't get that, they get pissy and start name-calling or trying to negate from the maturity level or intellectual stability of a QA. It's actually quite fascinating to observe.

• IKR? I think it's one of the greatest mysteries of life. Hands down.

What Girls Said 6

• Because they want to verify what they think is right.

They have a huge problem and do not welcome others opinions.

• I guess to see what people will say and when it's not what they want to hear then they completely disregard the answers... it really is dumb but I'll have to admit to doing it before

• They ask because they want validation from other people for whatever they're saying in the question, and when someone gives them an honest opinion that doesn't agree with theirs, they throw a hissy fit.

• Troll or just get points

• I think they just want to know what people have to say about their problems...

• They just want to waste our time.

What Guys Said 7

• They know what they want. They just like to hear fom others it's a good decision.

• They don't want advice and opinions - they want reassurance that whatever they're already doing is correct.

Contrast with the tribal fanboy mentality around game systems.

• or just for fun ;)

• Is gag really that much fun?

I'm mainly talking about the really long questions.

• yes GAG never let me down 8)

• Lol. Ok

• Dude i feel the same way sometimes. Just yester day we went back and forth and finally said u will have it ur way

• I think they just want people to write what they want to hear. They want them to feed into their ego that they are right. I would rather have the truth than someone telling me what I want to hear

• rhetoriqual questions r fun

• Yeah, I know what you mean. They want the advice; it just has to be exactly what they want to hear, or you're getting a down vote. :-)