Can someone please explain to me why some GAG users seem to think others are obligated to put up with their unpleasant, dramatic presence?

I have noticed a common attitude on this website where people act as if they are entitled to your cooperation, patience, and listening ears despite how foul, dramatic, and argumentative they present themselves. I disagree. Just as in my real life if someone was completely negative, toxic, dramatic, argumentative, and essentially a child's mind in an adult's body; I would not give them the time of day. I wouldn't speak to them more than necessary if I had no choice, such as a work or class environment. I would essentially "block" them by keeping them mentally and emotionally excluded from my life as I give them zero time, attention, or energy.

So I'm confused as to why so many GAG users don't humbly understand that no stranger is obligated to patiently listen and pay attention to a piss poor, vibe killing presence? Help me understand this? What are your thoughts on this topic?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is the nature of the internet that people evolve personas - I suppose we are happy to see like minded people but like real life there has to be room for dissenting voices - The site can't do anything until they cross a line.

What Guys Said 13

• Just ignore them, it seems like you care since you asked about it.

• Not that I care oh so much but I'm just curious where such blatant entitlement for a stranger's cooperation, patience, and attention comes from. Any ideas?

• Maybe they want to talk? I don't know. If I don't want to talk to them I just ignore them.

• Aggressive people conquered the world and currently run it. That entire the meek will inherit the earth thing only applies after the aggressive people have killed each other off for resources. It's not childish to act that way, it's just not gentile...

• some people r oversensitive actuaally :)

• This is a helping people site... what are you doing Anonymous? please Anonymous, stahp

• There is a block button if you can't handle someone.

• It's not about whether I can or can't handle them. It's about the fact that if you are a grown adult and your presence makes me feel like I'm babysitting or conversing with an underdeveloped, pubescent mind then I'm not sure why these people expect to be taken seriously or given legitimate attention

• damn, i meant to write this to klaatu opinion oh well

• oh lulz, I was SO lost. :P

• Don't worry about it, I'll listen to all of your problems and help you out. Keep on coming negative people!!

• Consider your own statement. Its a two-way street and furthermore an opinion based website and they are therefore entitled to submit THEIR opinion. Just because you do not agree with it, doesn't make it any less valid.

• Never said their opinion is any less valid simply because I disagree with it. I only said that if their tone and approach is toxic and drama, their opinion will never even be legitimately considered.

• you'll meet all sorts of characters on the internet. Best to keep them in the back of your mind

• Block them.

• people have problems dude... they need help, thats why they ask for advice here

• Nice story bro, needs more aliens and vampires

• As long as you don't go and do the same

• It's a free website I suppose.

What Girls Said 4

• This is a public forum. Exchange of ideas is all that matters here. Aggressive and dramatic presentation, only helps influence people emotionally so they can let go of their biases. It also helps to actively shut down morons instead of waiting for them to go away after spewing their moronic verbal diarrhea all over the place.

I explain once and if they refuse to read, instead of explaining, nest time I use the word stupid. It hurts a person enough to either go back and read, or go away and stop annoying me.
    It's like an anti-moron spray. Very useful and beneficial. It also reduces typing time since it allows me to get to the point.

There is no "vibe", if you want vibe, go hang out in real life. This is a forum. The only thing that should be forbidden here is stuff like spam, trolling, harassing in some non-written ways, etc.

If we start banning people for not being "nice", that's censorship that would quickly turn this place into a wasteland of mouthbreathing morons (mostly just women and a few emasculated nice guys). Everyone hates having their ego bruised and "not nice" is an excuse to censor those who bruise it.

If you think someone is not being nice, you can fuck of. Find another question, find another take. No one owes you anything here lady...

• Did I say anyone owed me anything?
      Furthermore, I did not waste my precious, divine time reading your lengthy, excessive moronic post here.
      You should have gotten my point that if people have a nasty, rude, condescending ass tone or vibe: they don't get the time of day from me :) They don't get acknowledged and they've pretty much wasted their limited time alive giving me attention because they won't get it back in return.

• I prefer not to block anyone, unless they pm me perverted things. This is an opinion site, you're bound to meet everyone with every type of personality you described here. I think it's good to be exposed to different types of people, I've found lots of people annoying and argumentative on here before in multiple questions but then once I got past the fact I didn't like their personality, I actually found that they had a few valid points. Also I like to point those sort of people out and tell them why I disagree with them, some of them actually were not as bad as they initially came across.

That's just the way I handle things though and it's the way I am in real life as well, a lot of times people like that are the way they are because people just ignore them and let them carry on the way they do, essentially a block button. It's up to you how you handle the situation though, my way isn't for everyone lol.

• I wouldn't give it attention.

• Amen!

Wow!! I couldn't have worded it better! I totally agree with every word. I feel exactlty the same :-)