Why do you down vote?

Like really why?

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 14

• What is it with this site and getting on people for blocking and down voting? Do those thing hurt anyone? No. They do not.

You know what hurts people? Harassment, horrible words, and ignorant posts.

This is like the bully complaining about one of their victims standing up for themselves.

• If harassing people by writing words about them can hurt them, I don't see how downvoting them can't. It's clear in sites that include both upvotes and downvotes that they quickly become political circlejerks, and differences in opinion are bullied in that way. And that's what happens on here to, even if to a lesser extent.

Any opinion that's plainly wrong can be rebuffed by logic and reason.

• @Kinstrome

If you don't see how those things are vastly different, I do not see how we can continue this conversation.

You rarely if ever see posts where a single group of opinions has a consistent set of up or downvotes so I fail to see the "circlejerk" aspect.

• They both affect people with the power of suggestion, not by physical harm. A word is an arrangement of letters that affects the person by that person's interpretation of the word. That's exactly what a downvote does. It doesn't affect people directly, but it is used to try to push people a certain way.

I don't mind it when people like either or neither, but there's no point in being self-righteous about verbal harassment and not indirect forms of harassment. They are only different by degrees. And I seldom see people who decry harassment who don't substitute it with bitter sarcasm or mockery. This happens the whole internet over. And there are circlejerks on GAG for sure in feminism/circumcision/post-a-pic questions.

People stand up to bullies by standing up to them. The proper counterpart to that online is countering something ignorant somebody says with a logical (and not sarcastic/belittling) response, not downvoting them and hoping that that means something.

• Because sometimes people give out medical advice they really shouldn't be giving, or maybe a girl's asking for advice and a guy will say "give him a b*** j**" or maybe the opinion's just downright offensive:P

• I never downvote.

• Here, let me speak on behalf of all of the jealous people on here.

If they see a person on here who they "just don't like" for any particular reason, they automatically down vote them.

• I only downvote if the comment is offensive/stupid. Probably like most people here.
    Although I've seen some people being downvoted just because they said they're gay in a question about sexual orientation... WTF o_o

• I don't really downvote. I always mostly upvote.

• Because I don't like the comment and GAG gives me the option to downvote so why not use it?

• if i think someone is plain rude and misguidef they get a down vote

• Cause we can

• Only if it's something really stupid.

• I don't agree and I dislike the opinion.

• Why not is the real question.

• I don't have time for that

• I've been on here for about two weeks and I haven't down-voted anything.

What Guys Said 10

• I very rarely downvote unless it is unnecessary something like

Is this dress nice on me?

No because you are ugly.

• i disliked da comment

• i'll downvote someone for outright/blatant racism, something surprisingly retarded... even for gag, and posts attacking people who do not deserve it

• I don't like downvoting. It seems like a passive-aggressive way to get a point across.

If someone says something bad, and a person knows it's bad, then that person should know how to repel them with logic and reason.

• I don't downvote
    if I dislike an opinion... I just leave it lol
    or attempt to articulate my own opinion based on theirs and hopefully begin an interesting debate.

Although some do it just for shits and giggles

• I just dickslam the downvote button

• I always upvote you bitches

• Sometimes, people give incredibly stupid opinions that you just have to down vote.

• If I really disagree with an opinion or it's just stupid or offensive I downvote

• I only down vote if I really disagree with what's written.