Why does GaG take off posts about suicide?

People who as questions about killing themselves need help, not to be ignored!
I'm pretty sure I just saw a question asking people if he should kill himself and GaG took it down and now i'm really concerned.
GaG needs to stop doing this, these people need assistance and guidance.
If the GaG admins/mods think its "innapropriate" or "a bad influence" well bs.
If anyone has any suicidal thoughts or worries or problems PLEASE message me.

Most Helpful Guy

• #1. To protect themselves from lawsuits.
    #2. To protect the asker from being misled by trolls, ignorant or inexperienced people.
    #3. They are sent a message containing various helpline numbers of trained professionals who can genuinely and eloquently help them.
    #4. Even I used to help them and yes I did it successfully with so many people here. It makes me happy whenever I see them smiling here but I don't do it anymore. After the introduction of "suicidal tendencies" guideline, I realised that I should not take the risk. It's very a serious issue. No matter how successful I was, it takes one inappropriate word to take the life of the person.
    #5. I request everyone to hit that red flag and report for "suicidal tendencies" whenever you see such questions. They'll be provided the best help possible. Believe.

What Guys Said 14

• I'd guess that it's a legal issue.

I don't know if they do it or not, but I think it'd be a good idea for GaG to send a courtesy message to users when they delete those questions--they could include hotlines and links to more appropriate venues of support.

I don't know, just thinking out loud...

• Yes, that would be great, i'm not sure GaG would have the time for all of that, but these questions aren't very frequent anyways.
      That would really probably help people in need a lot though, so good idea!

• They do do that already, when the person's post is removed they're given numbers to suicide helplines.

• @itsallover I had no idea. That's seriously awesome! Thanks for telling me. :)

• "If I wanted an opinion from a 15-year-old, I'd ask for it" www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1387543-why-do-you-hate-on-the-under-18-gagers-so-much

i1127.photobucket.com/.../...f.com-add-text_15.gif

They probably don't want a lawsuit on their hands or something I don't know.

• Lmfao yessss, ikr, stop the hate XD!
      And ya, its the law that they care about, its pretty understandable though, I wouldn't wan to get arrested or fined.

• #Agreed and I don't blame em.

• Gag messages the individual with helplines and the such.
    From professionals

More help than they would get from us Strangers

• But they need all the help they can get

• Not from random people on the Internet.

That's why gag directs them to people who can and will help them.

• U r absolutely right. That's poor admininistration.

• These suicide posts are stupid and these people who do it are being selfish. They just want to advertise themselves and love indulging in their own self pity.

I used to be like this, and this is exactly what I wanted. And there is a suicide contact line at the FAQs page but who reads anymore huh?

• WHAT? I do agree that it can b seen as selfish to commit suicide considering that you leave your loved ones and family behind to mourn for you.
      But, i'm pretty sure thats not the reason behind it! Most people are in need and they certainly DO NOT do it for attention, I mean really, attention? I'm appalled by your comment. Maybe you wanted attention, but you're obviously different from the rest.

• Here's one reason why suicidal tendency posts are removed for you OP ^^^

• @bellepepper *kool aid man's voice* OH YEAHHHHH

• I think they don't want to deal with the stuff it creates or have any lawsuits from families, but being someone who did actually attempted it many years ago ( I'm fine now though ), I can honestly say that it helps to have people and stable minded folks to talk to about it.

• I dont know talk to an ADMIN

• simply because the community on here isn´t qualified to help... it may even make things worse. this is a serious topic where just one opinion might lead to a persons death. nobody wants this to happen.

• Maybe not a good idea to open yourself up across the Internet. Im not belittling your age but I can't imagine your equipped to deal with someone who is contemplating sucide let alone the trolls who will bullshit and emotionally abuse u.

• You're right, but there are young people who really have deep emotional problems, no matter what their age is, but I am not one of them.

• True but u can't save people from themselves. If u try u might end up with emotional problems when it all goes pear shaped

• They need to seek professional help, go talk to psychiatrist, not a bunch of online strangers.

• possibly to avoid potential lawsuits?

• yeah on here people can say stuff like 'you deserve it' or 'please go ahead and do it' which wouldn't help them at all

• Thats true. I've heard of that hotline actually! Our school brought in people who worked for them it was called like Not my Kid or something? And they were talking to us about bullies and their purpose, logic, mindset, etc. They also informed us if any of us needed help we could go on that hotline and talk to other kids having the same problems and professionals. And ya, GaG isn't necessarily the ideal place to ask for help but I guess these people need all the help they can get.

• If someone complains they will take down the post. Any post, whether it's actually offensive or not. It's a knee jerk reaction.

• wtf i asked a question about it and they didn't take it down

• If I wanted an opinion from a 15 year old, I'd ask for it

• Whats that supposed to mean? >.>

• Sometimes it really doesn't matter how old someone is. They could have a better mindset than someone who is suicidal, and thus can think more logically and appropriately. Don't be so quick to judge and belittle those younger than you.

• I agree, age doesn't decide someone's maturity or intelligence.

What Girls Said 6

• I KNOW RIGHT!! I had just read that question too, I wrote a long ass answer, like more than 1000 words, only to find out when clicking send that a mod had taken it down. I'm mad af, that guy could've used some help. I know GaG sends these people suicide hotline numbers and what not, but if the person wanted to call to those numbers he would have done it already. Sometimes the thing that can help people the most is support, advice and kind words from conplete strangers who may even feel or have felt the same way. This made me sad and angry. I'm glad you asked this question.

• Thank you! And ya, I think these people need all the help and support they can get. I also just sent a long paragraph to this one guy with the same problem and the mods took it down! I was like Oh my Gosh.
      These suicidal people obviously searched for help and hotlines would have popped up, so you're right if they wanted to call those numbers they would have, and if they did it doesn't mean they don't need GaG.

• I agree with the others. It's a liability for the website, you get a mixed bag of replies, and it's not a good situation for untrained professionals. Plus it says right in the posting guidelines that posts encouraging or threatening suicide will be removed and the poster will be sent help.

http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/posts

But suicide is also a very (and I hate to word it this way) triggering topic. It's a sensitive subject that inspires a range of emotions in people. It's hard for survivors and relatives and friends of victims. It's really really hard.

And even though it is so kind and generous to offer to help someone it's better that you don't. The dynamic can turn unhealthy fast. Plus you might be playing into someone's sick game. I don't know if you're on tumblr or heard about the supernatural fandom losing its collective mind over a series of suicide hoaxes last year.

It was a bunch of stupid little girls running around faking their suicides and a bunch of other stupid kids believing them because they were goaded into believing people out of the goodness of their hearts. One person even tracked down one of the girl's parents because the kid *linked her tumblr and facebook* and it turned out the girl had done it before. I cannot even express the depth of my disgust. They didn't care who they hurt or what happened.

And do you know the worst thing? Suicide, especially teen suicide, is contagious. It's why news stations tend not to report on it.

That's why you can't feed into helping people. You need to get them professional help. Talking to siblings, parents, or random people on the internet does not save people. It hurts the people around them and it hurts the individual. It doesn't stop them or save them. The only thing that helps them is professional help.

• This site's responsibility is NOT to convince people not to commit suicide. It contains many people who are inexperienced in suicide prevention and could possibly make the situation worse for the person who wants to kill themselves. When their post is removed, they get a message directing them towards appropriate suicide help lines where experts can deal with the issue appropriately, like they have been trained to do. Although I appreciate that you want to help them, I strongly advise you leave it to the people with formal training. Either report the question for 'Suicidal Tendencies', or give them the number to a suicide helpline.

• At first I was a little unsteady with your comment, but now that I read the whole thing I agree, some people really aren't experienced and give out bad tips and advice or there's some sick and horrible trolls who say "ya go do it, kill yourself".
      They should leave it to the professionals but there are people who share the same experience, there are people who could make it worse, but there's a lot who could make it better, but I guess GaG doesn't want to take the chance.

• True, but what I was saying though is that we understand it from a point that no one but people who have been through it themselves can understand. Which makes it easier to relate but as you said if someone is determined to do it, they'll do it no matter who's on the line.

• @Phoenix98 Yeah, you're right.

• I actually agree with you. Those question are a cry for help, and they shouldn't be taken down. Sometimes people just need a stable mind to talk to.
    In reality, people don't want to die, they just want to be saved.

• Protect themselves legally if their parents sue them for their death of child if they found out their child got ideas how to kill themselves here or were being encouraged by stupid idiots who would say shit to fuel the depression.

• Suicidal people need to be dealt by a professional. Not people like us. GAG doesn't guarantee the oopinions of an professional that can direct them properly.

• *GAG doesn't guarantee the opinions here that are of a professional that can direct them properly

• Its understandable.

• Because it's more serious than just answering or asking.
    - it needs to be professionally dealt with. If not - any response could take the person to an extreme. + they could sue the site... so... xD