Why do some people seem to have a problem with "Under 18" users?

It's like our opinions don't matter, we're not allowed to expess what we feel because we happen to be younger. That's terrible. We're allowed to have an opinion too. Age shouldn't have anything to do with that (unless you're like 12 and under, then you aren't really allowed to be here.)

I've seen some immature under 18 users here, but most of us are very very mature, even more mature than some 18-24 users (most of the immature ones are anonymous however). They speak well and give great input.

I've just seen some questions saying we don't belong here, and it upset me because I think we do. This site offers good insight on issues such as relationships and sex, and we need the experience so we can survive out there in the real world with knowledge on these topics. We NEED that, don't you guys understand?

Having knowledge on sex and relationships will help us grow up to be great adults.

Most Helpful Guy

• Part of the problem is immature users that are under 18. But another part is immature users over 18. But if you are looking to label a group and say they don't belong, you can't say all, so you bash the young. I personally have found many young people on here to be quite mature and pleasant in their opinions.

But another problem is with the legal considerations of discussing sexually explicit matters with under age youth. Especially giving advice. Technically, with all the laws on the books about such things, I am sure that almost any sexual advice from an adult to a minor breaks some laws and could land a person in jail if someone actually pursued it.

Aside from the legal problems that could result from innocent advice, the presence of "minors" in the sexual parts of this site exposes them to abusive remarks from some of the "adults" on here, so there is the thing of protecting young people.

So not all of the people who want the under 18 group off of here thinks they are all immature. There are a lot of reasons.

And, Asker, you are definitely one of the more mature ones of the younger set on here.

What Guys Said 28

• I don't know. Insecurity, maybe? Who knows why random people have random opinions. I've never had a problem with under 18 users. It seems to me that under 18 users are going to be the ones with the most questions, so obviously they should have a pretty significant presence on a site like this.

I suppose some could get annoyed if a lot of younger people were giving opinions that were clearly wrong, and would be obviously wrong to someone that was older and had more experience. Particularly in cases where bad advice would actually be worse than no advice. So maybe they have had a lot of encounters where someone that clearly didn't know what they were talking about were being argumentative, and they noticed most of those cases had "young age" in common. That's just a guess though, I haven't actually noticed any questions saying u18s don't belong on the site so I haven't seen the person's reasoning.

• Everyone here is entitled to an opinion, or to give advice. Regardless of age.
    Unfortunately, some people seem to be of the opinion that young people should be seen, not heard (read). Replying to comments with rude or nasty messages... well that shows where the real maturity lies.

• I'm rather neutral when it comes down to teens talking (for example) about sex and sex life.
    Seriously, as a guy who had sex for the first time when I was 13, I cannot really judge them. Plus, I fail to see a problem as long as they're using condoms and common sense.

Personally, when I see questions from people under the age of 18 about sex, I answer "as is", with politically correct bullshit put aside.
    15yo has sex with 20yo boyfriend? Well, if both of you like it, what's the big deal, just use condoms.
    I had sex with 15yo girl when I was 25, we both really enjoyed those nights together. Plus, she approached me first.

So to me age rarely matters in large variety of discussions.

What makes me sometimes disregard opinion of youngsters is when they're talking about politics, especially when they take left-wing / liberal stance, since they have no real experience / knowledge in this topic.
    I can't really blame them for being brainwashed (plus I don't care about youngsters of other nations), but it angers me to know that there are fucks out there who want to brainwash our children just like that as well.

• I don't really like politics. As a teenager who has been in an abusive relationship, battled depression and mental illness and maintained a 4.0 grade average, I know what I'm talking about.

• Ignorant people don't realize they are ignorant. Many teens are ignorant because they lack real world experience.
    There are quite a few teens here that are surprisingly mature for their age (such as @cipher42, you, etc), but many teens here just give atrocious advice.

Regardless, I judge a person's opinion by the content of their advice, not their age.

• BS... some people just like 2 play it mature and all, by bashin under 18s :p

and yeah i admit u r wayyyyyyyy more mature than me :D

• Saying someone doesn't belong here because some representatives of their age group are misbehaving is stupid because then practically no group would be allowed on this site - especially the under18 and 35+ (the former being immature and the later being outright weird)

GAG is for every one, including the trolls which you just have to ignore.

• What under 18 girls and guys dont really get is that all people say here are their personal opinions on the situation. Most of the time, they overreact over what is happening to them in their story or they overreact on the opinion that has been stated by one of the users that is older than them.

The goal here is not to put down the under 18 users, instead to help them understand the reality as well as our opinions on the intake. I'm sure that most of us understand that life isn't all flowers and rainbows, and if you ever talk to an older person about their life. They will tell you good things mainly. Since there are few lines that are needed to be crossed in order to unvail the actual truth of life. But don't take the information all personaly, we are not here to make machines out of you.

• I don't overreact to opinions, but I've noticed that some do.

• I'm not saying about you, im saying about the general public. I've been playing games such as Clash of Clans, Game of War and other application games. Well, the majority of the poeple have their opinion and they tend to overreact when they have been told otherwise or on their mistakes. I had conversations with people that most people would draw the line from the start due to the "severity" of the argument/discussion.

Some underage kids, take the information from the adults to seriously and they are offended by it. When they are told that its just an opinion they rage, and they rage at you for stating your opinion.

• Yeah that's true.

• you're right and I agree with you, you are human too.

• You are articulate. You are asking a legitimate question. You are a valuable member and you are not what bothers me about under 18 year olds.

I get irked by the floods of "rate me" and "this boy in my class won't look at me" questions as well people who use this as a blog.

For the record, I know some older users are guilty as well

• I don't have any problem with under 18 users.

• I have never understood this bias and the under 18s seem to get it a lot

• I have no problem with under 18 users at all their questions and answers are as important as anyone else's is. When it comes to questions from under 18 about sex though I tend to keep my distance from those because I don't feel comfortable with it for the obvious reasons so I'll let those under 18 solve those. To be honest though I don't respond to most of those questions regardless who is asking them.

• Why? They made need advice on sex. Think of it as high school health class.

• I know but the law in general likes to vilify men in general and especially when it comes to sex or teens and I would rather not even take the chance that something I say could be taken and twisted into something that it was not. Too many wanna be zero hero's looking for roles to take any chances.

• Everyone has a right to be on here except 12 or younger. It's unfair that other users mistreat you and other under 18 users. I am really sick of it. Even in some of the questions pick on the asker of the question that is under 18. People it's called freedom of speech and i think the under 18 should be able to post about what ever they want.

• Ignore those people. They are ageist. Because they are insecure about themselves, they don't judge you on your own qualities.

• Good question. I couldn't of worded it better myself.
    Some people would be surprised how much more immature older users can be, compared to our age group.
    They usually bring up our age when they've lost an argument and are bitter.

• "A person's a person, no matter how small."

Dr. Seuss

• I agree completely and I respect the opinions of under 18 users. They help me stay in touch with younger versions of myself that are still inside me.

• Well, you should understand there's plenty of mean people in this world. Yeah, it's fucked up, but that's the way it is, so don't let it affect you. I agree with you that this site can be particularly useful for uner 18 users. I wish I was in a site like this when I was your age.

• It's because under 18 users tend to discuss among topics where it is inappropriate, and it's difficult to accept advice from people who lack experience.

• When some under 18 users talk about life experience I (sometimes) take it with a grain of salt. But other than that I haven no problem with it. And some folks do go through a lot, even when young.

• I have no problem. Even they are more decent then grown up.
    They are eager to know the experiences they've to face.
    Its better for them to understand life.

• am i very very mature

• Why do you have a problem with "under 12" users?

• people think we know things we shouldn't know... which is true

• i thought this site was aimed at exactly people your age

• One under 18 user's post pissed me off minutes ago. but I know all of them aren't that stupid

• As a 26 year old, I don't need a 16 year old telling me what to do

• So just because I happen to be 16 I don't know what I'm talking about? That's bogus.

• The QA is basically complaining about the people on here not taking her seriously. I never asked her anything, therefore, why shouldn't I take her seriously

• *thirteen days later...*

• because you think you can actually provide helpful answers despite having gone through nothing in life

• Lol. I've been though depression, illness, an abusive relationship, a job, a 4.0 grade average, and you're telling me I know nothing?

• well ok, maybe you know things, but most of them dont. nice work on that 4.0

What Girls Said 13

• It's the same concept for a 16 year old who would take a 12 year olds thoughts on relationships and dating with a grain of salt. Or a 12 year old who wouldn't seriously consider and ponder the conversational contribution of an 8 or 9 year old.

While it's great for young folks to challenge their understanding and confidently express themselves: Some grown ass folk dealing with grown ass issues are not going to an adolescent seriously when they most likely don't have the LIFE EXPERIENCE. They have not been alive long enough on this Earth to directly relate on a certain level so their thoughts are more likely to be speculations rather than based on hardcore facts. Also, teenagers are going to speaking on romantic experience with boys and girls who have not evolved to men and women. They're most likely to be speaking on a LESS EVOLVED standard of romance, maturity, and overall depth. Other than that, for me, I think it's ridiculous and innocent idiotic when adolescents desperately try to think and speak like adults instead of enjoying the blissful simplicity of their youth and letting their minds mature with a gradual process, rather than just sitting online desperately trying to achieve 'growness' via GAG vs life experience.

• Autocorrect jacked up my post lol

• Here's another example...
      Despite the fact that I'm 22 and confidently feel like I have accomplished a certain level of maturity and understanding, I do not try to answer questions from women who are 36+ seeking guidance for marital issues. This is because that is a level of expertise I have not earned personally with my own encounters so I humbly recognize that my speculations, guesses, or assumptions may steer her in the wrong direction or waste her time. Same concept except most teenagers don't humbly accept that they HAVE NOT EARNED THE LEVEL OF EXPERTISE and rather entitledly proclaim that they should be listened to and regarded with the same consideration as someone who actually has.

• I've experienced more than most people my age, but I understand.

• It's a generalization and a very unfair one. Most of the questions here will have different answers based on life experience. People assume because you're young you simply don't have enough or don't have the right kind of life experience to add to the discussion.

You're right having open frank discussions about relationships and sex isn't going to do you any harm... in fact it may just help some of you younger folks avoid some of the things those of us with a few years under our belts had to go through.

You belong here just as much as anyone else!

• I have nothing against under 18's per se. But all ages do ask stupid questions...
    I had 27 year old man talking me down on this website a few months ago (when I was 19) using my age against me saying I wasn't as wise as him... I said something about being in university to study being a doctor and he went off discouraging me saying I will never be a doctor and that he is a doctor himself and that it is 'just learning to mix chemicals masked as medicine'... no that's what you learn to be a medical researcher or pharmacist... not a doctor and then he went off to say he didn't believe in medicine. "Then why are you a doctor if you don't believe in the cures?" besides he wasn't a very good liar in saying that he was a doctor. He needed psychiatric help!

• Because some younger users are incredibly immature, even for their age. Younger users will often think that their views will not change. Ever. I was the same when I was a teenager, you think you know everything and nothing will ever make you think any different.

You belong here just as much as anyone else but you have to face facts that a lot of younger people are more immature and say some stuff that makes it really hard not to take the piss and call them children for... but you can say that about people of all ages on here.

• I don't know everything, and I'll try to be mature to prove those people wrong.

• I get shit for being over thirty so don't sweat it - let the 20-29 year olds bitch and moan all they like, it isn't their site and they can piss off if they don't like it, or block you. No big deal.

• Haha that's right.

• I don't have problem with the younger users here. I've seen so many immature adults who gave crappy advice. Age doesn't determine maturity but experience does.

• I think that's because we live in a different era. They didn't have access to that much information in the 90's or 80's. They had access to it at an older age and that's why they don't consider us human beings before that age. We're kind of expected to be ignorant.

• i've noticed "under 18ers" always complaining about this exact issue. you shouldn't get upset over the opinions of random strangers on the interweb..

• because the immature ones, spoil it for the rest of us -.-

• Don't worry about what people think. Just continue to give your opinions and advice. Show them better than you can tell them.

• I personally think that this site are really very helpful to us because we're adolescents and we are always curious about things yet sometimes its awkward to ask about sex or other stuffs to certain people. Like I find it awkward to talk about sex stuffs with my mum so yes, I question them here and I do received many helpful answers from the elders. I've met some people who are 20+ and is just so immature I can't help thinking how are they even of their age.

• Because of the way the immature ones act, people are generalizing

• I feel you! I sometimes feel like the brush away our opinions for being under 18

• Oh my gosh I know right? There are so many over 18s that are just as if not more immature and i think some of the users on this site are very ageist.