Suggestion, do you think we should be able to regulate what user can send you private messages based on their minimum Xper level?

Many girls here seem to be harassed constantly by guys and end up using a private profile with private messaging disabled, but that is a bit excessive! Most of the creepers are low on Xper level, so I figured it would be nice to set the minimum Xper level for who is allowed to message you. That way, you don't have to go full private, but you would block levels you don't trust.

Yay or nay? What do you think? Would that solve the problem?

• Yes that would help solve the problem and is a great idea
  • No that wouldn't solve the problem at all
  • Actually, I know a better feature request to solve this problem

Most Helpful Girl

• I could have sworn, back when I joined, you had to be level 2 or 3 to send PM's.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes and no.
    Disable PM for level 1 and 2, but let them answer PM's sent to them.
    But that's it. We can't run from the problems, or lock them away. We need to face them and solve them.

And it seems to me that we're talking mainly about spammers, and bad PM's (like dick pics and such)? If so, make it illegal, and IP ban them! Problem solved!

• damn, i got MHO from @mesonfielde? never tought i'd live to see the day. The world is truly going to hell ^^

Seriously though, thanks a lot man :)

• Indeed. I agree on the IP ban, it's just a nuisance but it'd thwart some people.

• IP ban would be a good idea, at last if they use ban strikes.
      Say 3 banned users with the same frequent IP (over a set time. say on year), and the IP is banned permanently. Also temporary profile lockdowns/restrictions can be used for cases not justifying profile bans. Like if you are repped for dick pics, they'll block your ability to PM for a set time, etc

That way you won't get accidentally IP banned. It won't hit many, but it will kill trollers and spammers.

What Girls Said 9

• Yeah, I actually do think that would be a nice feature. Although I would add that it'd also be nice to be able to block only a certain gender. I'm not usually for gender-dividing stuff like that, but when it comes to creepy private messages, I think it's only ever been guys creeping on me, so that could actually be nice (though I probably wouldn't even use it, but others might). But yeah, I do also think the Xper level might make a good addition. I actually once had a dude make a new account after I blocked him for calling me a cunt and sending rape threats just so he could spew more abuse at me. So Xper level stuff would definitely fix stuff like that.

• "block only a certain gender"

Sure, only males tend to send dick pics, but that'd just mean they'd create female accounts instead.
      And also get dick pics from "women". That would be hilarious. But I'm not a fan.

• Clearly we should just teach people to stop sending dick pics in the first place. :P

• Hah, that too, please. But in the meantime, giving people a way to make spaces more safe for themselves is a good temporary solution.

• I have mine set to friends only. I think blocking certain levels would deter younger members and members who are too scared to post. Some people prefer to find someone with a high xper/mho rating and private message them directly for help, as opposed to posting.

• Well, I figured if you two are followers of each other, then that'd override the XPER limit. So that would apply only if they aren't followed by you, and they are a lower level than what you have specified.

• Wait, what? I was talking about private messaging. I never said they can't post questions. I don't understand.

• Read the initial opinion I posted.

• Yes, it sounds as If it would limit those types of messages.
    People that are serious about being part of this community wouldn't leave so early on.

• I doubt that would solve the problem. it might minimize it but won't solve it.
    Why don't they just put their profile on private and filter the people they want to hear from?
    Sounds to me like some of them want to receive some of those messages. O. o

• I like it. At least then they'd have to participate in the community and they might out themselves as gross pervs so they can be expunged before they bother many people.

• Apparently low level users aren't allowed to message people anyway, I heard someone complaining of it the other week. They had just joined and couldn't message anyone yet.

Personally I don't think such measures are really necessary. Just delete and block, it's THAT simple.

• Please god yes. Make it happen!

• nope, I don't mind. I just block them.

• I just posted a question about private messaging.. So the random person that messaged me is most likely a creeper right?

• That is somewhat possible; one time I made a female account just to see what happens and I got 3 private messaging people asking me about my sexual behavior and whether I'm into double penetration; it was definitely interesting in the sense that that just doesn't happen as a male.

It's not legal to have a second account so I don't have it anymore, unfortunately :P

What Guys Said 8

• We already have a minimum level to send private messages... we already have private profiles, anonymous questions are the big majority, and so forth. Pretty soon we'll know absolutely nothing about anyone on Gag, and how can you really advise people in that scenario?

• I think they used to have that and while I think eliminating creeps is a good thing, I see messaging as being good because I can follow up with users who give good answers. I think it was only level 3 though so it would not be hard to reach that.

• I would not use it and I'll seldom send the first pm.

• Well I would set it to minimum level 1, maybe 2, but then again, I am not harassed regularly, if ever.

• GaG used to have a level 3 minimum time send messages... I wasn't sure when this changed!

• What opt you could "Zap" someone who private messages you, and you didn't like what he/she said, and then if you accumulate enough "zap", then you can private message at all for a while?

• Yes they should and I could have sworn it was like level 2 xper

• No, it doesn't sound like a good idea.

• That would work for the "jump in and spam dick pics" i guess.
    Yeah sure, why not.