Are people really only here for the Amazon gift cards?

I know the price of the cards as a reward here went from 5000 to 7000 points, and that is a lot. However I've been seeing so many questions and posts complaining about it and people saying that's only why they were here in the first place.

Is the amount of time and effort required to get the 7000 points really worth the $20 gift card? I could work for just a couple of hours and buy something for $20 with the money I made, instead of spending months here to accumulate the points required to redeem for it.

• I'm here just for the Amazon cards.
  • I'm here because I like it and the Amazon cards are a bonus.
  • I didn't know I could redeem my points for a prize.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think anyone complaining about this aren't on the website for the right reasons and need to stop being "cheap skates". This website is nice enough to even allow such a option. Nobody is forcing them to do it. They're under no obligation. It's extremely kind of gag to offer rewards for posting so I feel like people who complain about the increase need to get a reality check and thank their lucky stars that there is even such a kind of reward. I voted B. I enjoy what I do and even if there were no rewards I'd still be here.

What Guys Said 37

• I've thought and said the same thing!

Like, don't people consider the return on investment? It takes a LOT of energy just to get that twenty dollar gift card, and if that's the only reason people are here then they're really spending their time inefficiently.

• Yup well said bro!

• @Prof_Don Thanks, man! And I agree, the Xper jump seems a little random, right? I'm glad that I redeemed mine not even two weeks ago. LOL

• @DodgersGM For newer members it would take them way too long to get enough points to get either gift card and the TGIFriday's is only for USA. look at me I am between 5800 and 6000 points and I have been on here for 3 years so newer members would need to have no life to get a git card in a short amount of time or it is not a good investment

• Sadly, it is that important for many people. And that is crazy. First for the reason you gave. But also the purpose here is to get your questions answered, and to help others. I did not even know that I could get any rewards for the longest time. And to this date I still have not used any points.

• I've only ever used points to feature my questions, and I think I've only done that a few times over the many years I've been here. I've received an Amazon card in the past for good moderating, but that's it.

• Well that card was not even asked for. So you have never done something for the tangible reward.

• Only $20 for a gift card. I redeemed 2 so far, but it's not the reason I'm here. Like you said, it's not much, just a bonus for active users.

Oh, and why to be here just to get $20 and leave? Wouldn't it be better to continue being active and keep redeeming $20 from time to time?

• Honestly, I voted B), but when you're thinking stuff like "hey I have 25000 redeemable XPER and I'll redeem it when I see something worth buying" then suddenly instead of $100 you have only $60 and that remaining $40 is actually the 5% of your monthly wages which is 1/20 which is kinda lot, then you feel a bit cheated. It's like having cake in front of you, and whenever you get closer, they pull the plate further away.

• This happened to me a bit :(

• It happened to me once more with this hike. The points wouldn't pay my connection costs of course , thus that's not my reason to visit this site but when choosing between a site which gives nothing and one which gives a tiny reward, I'll tend towards one of both. Guess which one.

• I can definitely see your point.

• GaGing is a rather laborious and time-inefficient way of earning $20, lol. Mow your neighbor's lawn if you need quick spending cash.

Really, it's a nice bonus. I'm shocked a free-to-use website is so overly generous, to be frank.

• If they are they're making poor life decisions.

• I'm not. I'm here because I like to answer questions. I mean, what would be the point of having knowledge about things, if you're unable to share it with others.

The $20 gift card is cute and all, but I seriously couldn't care less about it, because I have a job along with saved up money to where the gift card wouldn't really do much for me. Now if GAG was giving out an XBox One or a PS4 or paying for my college tuition then I'll reconsider my statement, but $20 won't do much for me, especially seeing how I make that much in about 2 hours at my current mediocre job.

• Nah... i'd stay here even if all prizes were totally abolished

• The prizes are nice, But they are not the reason why I'm here!

I'm curious why the admins jumped up another 2000 XPER. Usually the increase is in 1000 XPer increment.

• Usually that's what the increase is, and I really think this large jump is what sparked a lot of the outrage.

• I would be here anyway I like to help out people and flirt with girls

• I've been here for about a month and only have like 3.700 k xper. i srsly thought i was spending waaaay to much time on this. i honestly dont know how some people's goal can be the gift card... you have to pretty much be on this 24/7 for it to actually pay off

• I could care less about having my question featured. I would not want a GAG t-shirt becsue it does not appeal to me. I rather give to other charities and organizations. I have not been to TGIFridays In quite some time and I am trying to not eat out as much. Amazon would take to long to get even though I am over 5800 points. I would have to post a lot of questions and comment a lot and I do not comment a lot when I am on just depends on the day.

• I have been a member on here for 3 years and do not even have 6000 points yet so where is the motivation for newer members to want an amazon gift card. They would have to take a lot of there time and spend it on here or it will take years. Most people I believe would not care if their question is featured or not. Who would want to advertise for this site. Not sure how many people have actually heard of raven. The other two would not be good investments because it would be too much time to get too little in return. I can understand if there were no prizes to begin with.

• I've been here for 6 years and only reached the Guru status about 6 months ago (maybe more, I don't keep track of that). That was after they raised the threshold from 10K points to 20K after the site overhaul. Some people accumulate an insane amount of points in less than a year though, but you notice that they also spend a significant amount of time here posting. Some of them are what I like to call "Xper Farmers" - leaving short and generally unhelpful answers just to get the points. Those are the kinds of people who are here just for the rewards. They always leave after they get what they want.

• @musicbrain5 You are right about that. Yo have to go through all the trouble it takes on here to get an amazon card was it really worth it.

• I didn't know you could do it until two years in, and I'm yet to bother. I think it's a bit backwards since all I do on here is judge people and hate things.

• I think its a feeling of having been affronted that is making people complain, because no one in their right mind would spend the dozens of hours necessary here just to get enough experience to get a gift card.

• Yeah exactly. For me it's just a nice bonus. No other forum I've ever been on has been so generous.

• Yes, the system does seem to work a little better here. I was surprised when I heard the first complaint.

• Nope I'm here to chat, help folks out and talk about things, the gift cards are just a bonus.

• No impact on my behavior. It amazes me anyone would do it just for the cards. The 'pay' is so low that if you don't enjoy being here it's not worth doing it for the cards!

• I'm here because I like it, and I actually knew about this like a month after I signed up.

• no matter what change the admins make, people complain about it... whether it was a good move or not. That's just how people are.

• I'm here to comment, give advice and aks questions.
    Getting points and working my way up the rankings is a good thing.

• Im here prizes or not. What else am I going to do when shit faced drunk.

• It's only recently that I've learned this, I just come on here for the LOLs.

• I didn't realize you could do that at first.
    For me it's the icing on the Great American Cookie Cake. Mmmm p:

• Yeah, I just saw a post about a girl who is basically on here to get a card

• I just do it for the Children lol

• I probably didn't help with my rant yesterday but getting half points annoyed me ( the 15 min point was taken away ) - There was things outside GaG that didn't help my mood , so GaG got the full force of my hissy fit.

• I didn't see that so no, your question hasn't influenced this one. Half points? We only get half xper for things now?

• You used to have a chance of getting 3 points per question. First male/female, answer within 15 mins and point for question. Klaatu51 is always first male but I was getting 2 for every q but with 15 min gone I am only getting 1 effectively halving my xper take.

• Oh yeah, I see what you mean now. I remember way back when I first joined (Dec 2008) and for a few years afterwards, you got 3 points for every answer, and every upvote was 1 point.

• I like it here it makes me feel like im not the only one here who has so many doubts over such silly things... 😄😝

• When it only took 4000 points, and GaG wasn't giving 0.0025 points per answers/questions/etc, then absolutely I was here just for the cards.

• @arabianpwincess197 she is here to dig my gold 😂

• I couldnt care less about the amazon cards... I have a job, I can buy my own gift cards ;)

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 26

• Helping people with hardships they face in their lives is a reward in itself.
    The gift cards are a bonus that come along with it.

When that award is taken away... we can't pretend like it isn't a real bummer.
    It is.
    Especially when you realize how close you are to that gift card... only for you to now be 2000 points from earning it.

Here's analogy

I'm extremely hungry for some food.
    From where I'm standing I can clearly see the store is open.
    The lights are on, and people are entering and existing the establishment.
    Ahhh... the scent is sooo strong!
    The food smells so good !
    I could see the food through the window.
    As I approach the store and get closer,
    I now see all the customers exiting and the lights are now off.

Sure, I could get food from another story.
    And probably one that is closer to my home instead of traveling so far.
    But you see,
    I wanted food from this particular restaurant.

I can't help but be disappointed.

That feeling may pass... I just have to deal with the emotions I'm going through now.

• The Amazon gift card being pushed farther out of reach, for me, is more like... one additional reason not to stay. It's for sure not the only reason, but I was getting really close to being able to redeem points for it, was actually kinda happy about it, and now I feel like I got excited for nothing.

If it was never being offered, if I hadn't gotten close, I wouldn't have cared. I appreciate that this is one of the only sites that offers rewards like this!

But it's the disappointment. The disappointment is like... the nails in the coffin. I'm willing to bet that some of the people who are leaving because of it are similar in that respect. They were probably already losing interest, and now they're just done.

• I didn't sign on because of it, but I would like an explanation why it went up. That number is so unattainable. I'll never refer anyone to this site again, that's for sure.

• When I joined it only took 4000 points. Then when I finally got 4000 they raised it to 5000. Similar, thing happened to me with the latest change. I'm definitely not here for it, but it sucks thinking I lost a potential $40 in bonuses.

• I don't have over 22,000 to spend. @fun-weird-guy

• I know that that I was responding to someone else

• I'm not going to lie I'm pretty pissed about it... Wasn't that the 2nd time they went up? I believe they use to be 3500 points or something around that range.

But no that's not why I joined GAG. I had no idea that we could get rewarded for this when I joined. I was just here to give advice. So I'm here to stay regardless but the value going up is pretty bogus.

• No, I'm here because because of other reasons, the gift card is just a little bonus. If there were no prizes, nothing would change for me.

• I'm here because I have genuine questions to ask. Now, I'm typically here to pass time with humour. The gift cards are bonus.

• Lots of people seem to be...

• B

At first I had no idea I could exchange any points for anything... I didn't even know I had points. O. o

• The cards are nice. I was a bit disappointed they raised the points, as now I have the points for one card instead of two. It's like waiting in line for an amusement ride only to find out it's closed just as you reached the front of it.

But staying here JUST for the gift cards is such a low return on investment to me. These people must've been broke college students.

• I enjoy being here and see what others think.
    I can't redeem my points for a Amazon gift card, but if I could I would consider it a plus. And, of course I wouldn't be here just because of it.

• I didn't even know you could get them till yesterday.

• I have 31,000xper points do you want them?

• It's always an added bonus.

• i m not here for that... 20 $ are not worth so much time.. i m here cuz i like it..

• Well there are many question and answer sites so they might choose this site as opposed to others because of the gift cards but I don't think they are on this site ONLY for the gift cards - unless you live in a poor country where you think a $20 dollar American gift card is worth 200 hours of your life but even then I believe the gift cards correspond with your country so if you live in India your gift card will be 20 rupies - just guessing though - not sure.

• I voted B. It's nice that we are able to earn them but that's not my sole purpose for being here.

• I don't really care about the points - I keep forgetting that they are redeemable.

• I seriously didn't know about this. Wow thanks

• I'm not here for that. I'm usually here when i'm bored.

• I didn't even know you could do that.

• I never knew you could get prizes on here, I thought it was only questions

• I think they should just eliminate it.

• Amazon gift card is a bonus, but main purpose is to pass time away. I guess people are disappointed that they cldnt have the best of two worlds so easily now.

• I didn't even know they give out prices but I don't really care either. I came here to ask and answer questions

• I didn't know there were amazon cards rewarded :O

• Never knew you could get a gift card...