How do foreign users on this site have such good english?

a lot of users on the site are from countries that don't have English as a dominant language but seem to have perfect English anyway. how did this come to be?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm from a country where English isn't the first/national language, but it is mine due to my ancestors. I cannot say that my English is perfect, and I'm still learning. For me (public school), it is a must to study English since 7 until 17, which is from elementary school up until high school. You cannot learn other foreign languages such as French, Spanish etc. But we can learn Mandarin, in public high school, its optional if you want to learn Mandarin. Movies, reading and conversations really help me tho.

What Girls Said 17

• English is simply a n essential language to learn. Most schools teach it to their students. It's pretty much a requirement.

Don't ask me why English became the popular language. All I know is that we're offered to learn a second language while others are forced to learn ours. I guess it's just the way the cookie crumbles.

• "Don't ask me why English became the popular language"... is a consequence of the British empire, and the anglo American super power dominance in our time.

English is THE international language of our time, the British empire spread the English language across the globe. And post WW 2 the American super power continued it's place on the world stage.

• Oh please, there are just as many people, especially dudes, especially Indians and Turks who suck at English big time, I'm embartased for them for being so shitty.
    But to answer your question.. English is easy af, that's why.

• *embarrased

• I'm not sure why but I find your sentence arrangement is quite weird. So maybe you shouldn't be judging others and think that English is easy? :)

• I grew up with a woman from the Netherlands. She said they didn't just take about 2 years of English and all it quits (like we did with foreign language) but that it was mandatory and they had it for several years. Also she watched a lot of American TV

• Everyone studies English at school starting from a very young age, plus it's not too difficult and it's everywhere: movies, songs... I learnt it watching American/English tv shows.

• In many places around the world they have English as a course taught at a very early age until they're older.

• My English is nothing near perfect, but I guess it is okay-ish since I've been having English lessons from grade 3 to 12 :)

• Is English a required course for you to take in your school or did you choose to take it?

• It is required from grade 3 to 10, then it's up to you. But if you drop English , then you HAVE to have either french, latin or Spanish :) @Octavius

• In The Netherlands we study English in primary school, secondary school and sometimes continue in college/university. We also are obliged to study a second foreign language in secondary school, usually French or German.

Next to that all American tv shows are subtitled and not synchronised. So we hear A LOT of American English and American English slang. And so most of us in The Netherlands speak with an American English accent.

• Well, I think it's easy to learn English as you can find it everywhere: movies, songs and basically most of the fun stuff on the Internet. English is not a difficult language and it's easy to catch up. My mother tongue is way more difficult than English .

Also, it's easier to write in English than actually speak.

• they regularly travel to places where they have to speak English or try to nurture their English skills they learnt at school through exposure to English shows, websites or news.

• it's easier to type than speak it

• We must study it at school, it`s not that we have a choice. I've been studying English since I was probably 5

• We learn it at school

• Maybe because of good education and good social communication skills

• English is my third language. Also, I have an MA in English Studies.

I think it's because people whose native language is not English learn and speak a more formal version, while native speakers tend to use everyday English .

• You're so wrong, mate. There are no foreigners on GaG, we all are Americans, Brits, Aussies etc pretending to be foreigners just to show off our alleged second language skills.

• i just don't get this answer at all

• There's no need to be such a cunt, anon.

• as retarded as what you just said is, it's actually an improvement over your original statement.

• I'm from a country where English isn't the first language but it is mine because of foreign ancestors. However most of my close friends have good English too because they went to private schools where the level of English is very much higher than most public schools. On the whole of course the level of English in my country is very low, that's probably why I haven't seen a single person who is from there on gag.

• which country is it?

• Sri Lanka. Hope you've heard of it lol lots of people haven't

• Writing on the internet doesn't mean they speak well in English .

What Guys Said 19

• A lot of countries put emphjasis on people learning English and other foreign languages. Many people abroad can write English really well, although few could speak it fluently.

• My girlfriend is from Europe and is on this site, she learned English from a British teacher. Most people in Europe tend to be bilingual cause it can be effective.

• That is purely down to the arrogance of the English speaking world - You travel around Europe most will speak better English than you and our response is to shout loudly at them "You understand English , yes?"

• Because a lot of TV series in my country are in English , so we are exposed to it at a very young age already. Then we are also taught English in school from the age of 10 ish. Nowadays with everyone having access to the internet, it's even easier to learn as so much online is in English .

• I don't know but I wouldn't consider my poor grasp of the English language to be adequate enough for intelligent converse. Please do forgive my shortcoming.

• Lots of Internet exposure. And my brother used to translate the Final Fantasy games he was playing, which helped.

• Well I played a lot on my computer / playstation / nintendo quite early as a kid (~4 years old). Plus we had internet. At that time (1998) there was barely any Hungarian material anywhere in the digital world so we "had" to figure out all the time what certain expressions mean. Plus I had private English teacher from 3rd grade.

• I made a question bout it bro recently

• We were born with special abilities.

• seems like it. that sucks as far as superpowers go though

• We all grew up watching some English speaking shows like Courage the cowardly dog, Recess, Friends, Futurama etc etc.. Pretty much English is everywhere, at least for me.

• English is an International business language. It is also an official language of The European Union if my facts are correct.

• I'm not that good in English . I'm still learning some stuff and junk. :-/
    Besides, English is easy to learn.

• I learned English from the internet, being forced to talk English to help eachother out, that's what taught me

• Very basic typing-based conversation does not indicate English level.

• One more thing, such typing is much easier than real-life, face-to-face conversations, standardized tests like SAT/ACT/GRE/GMAT/LSAT/MCAT and research journals/essays.

• i never said that

• We have better schools and they teach us more than 2 languages! lol

• a lot of places learn English , I have also seen some og the worst English around on this site

• so have i, but those have only been from a few people

• Because native English speakers suck at speaking English ... At least it's that way in the U. S.

• Because English is so lame, it's easy to understand for every one !!

• They don't teach slang in school plus they don't hear other people speaking bad English