Thinking about leaving because there's seems to be a lot of racists and homophobes on this site?

Im not gay, but I do respect people and their choices. Im mixed race and have encountered racism on this site. Not only racism, but homophobic people, people who try to bring you down, 40-50 year olds arguing with teens. I dont really find all of this to be healthy, and considering its all in the GAG community, there's nothing to do other than leave this site behind. Im sure im not the only one that has thought about leaving because of this. But based on my 2 years of being here, I've always accountered some form of abuse, wether it was from a comment, or a comment related to my picture. I used to be bullied so I dont take shit from anyone now, could this be the reason why im thinking about turning away from this site?

Most Helpful Guy

• Could be but, what you're experiencing here is a hyper concentrated version of life which is often perceived from one of many different point of views. One such point of view could be this site is one of the truest means of expressing your right to freedom of speech. Another perspective could be one that people hide behind the safety, anonymity, protection, and distance that the internet ultimately provides. Either way, what members have to consider and too often fail to realize is that if someone posts a question here the reality is despite the personal views of the poster, they are in fact asking EVERY member for their respective and subjective opinions; its a public forum and that is disclosed in the terms of agreement upon signing up for membership. So, to take offense with others for expressing their personal opinions about you, your posts, or the posts of others on a public forum is a bit unrealistic and even hypocritical. It sounds as though you are someone who feels as though EVERYONE deserves to be treated equally and for that I commend you as you are spot on! However, you must consider that by TRULY believing in such rights means that you are not only advocating for the rights of every ethnicity and sexual preference but also support the rights of those who disagree with you as well. So to say that you want to leave because someone disagrees with you ultimately means that you are in fact giving up on your very own beliefs.

What Girls Said 5

• I agree it was a BIG change coming here from tumblr. It was just constant omg you CANNOT say that about other people O_O

But I think it's important to stand up for those other people and add your voice so they're seeing them alone.

As far as the age thing, you really can't trust it. I saw a 45+ Anon asking about a boy looking at her during homer rom but then ignoring her at their lockers. Gasp right?

And there's actually a lot you can do! If you look at the posting guidelines at http://www.girlsaskguys.com/faq/posts If you see any racist or homophobic posts that violate the guidelines, you can def flag them for administrator review.

At the end of the day it's your choice though. So I hope you have fun wherever you decide to spend your time :)

• I don't think these people represent the majority of members here, just those that troll... a lot. I see plenty of race baiting, religious baiting, homophobic posts... mostly anonymous, meaning they don't have the guts to troll openly.

Most of us old codgers don't fight with teens, again that is a small number. I get riled up if, and only if, I am personally disrespected. Does not happen often.

GaG is an interesting cross section of real life. The difference is people feel free to post hurtful things because they will never meet their targets face to face. Keyboard Warriors is the term for these spineless cowards.

Just scroll past the idiocy and obvious haters, and enjoy the spirit of GaG.

• I feel the same way a lot, I mean all the hateful people here and the things they say towards others make me want to leave or at least cut back all of the time. But then I end up arguing with those very same people, hoping that I can help open their minds a little more lol. I don't blame you for wanting to leave, if something doesn't make you happy then I don't think you should surround yourself with it but the truth is you're going to experience hate everywhere. Where i'm from people are racist and homophobic, close minded etc. and all you can do with people like that is try to talk some sense into them but don't let others run your life for you and dictate where you go, they're the ones who are looking for things to hate and miserable and they have to live with that.

• Unfortunately it's all over the Internet. You can't truly escape it, and some people like to be terrible people. And frankly I just started using this site and am already considering not using it again because of the same thing.

• 0|0

What Guys Said 6

• It's just a reflection of society.

This is the internet and this site doesn't forcefully link you to a bunch of public personal information. In fact, it allows a secondary level of anonymity by letting you not even have to reveal your account name when you post.

In real life, you encounter way more racists and homophobes than you would think, but they hold their tongue or lie to you because there are actual consequences attached to what you do and what you say. On the internet, people either troll others or they are actual shit heads that get to say whatever they want with no fear of punishment.

I don't really get your complaint about 40-50 year olds arguing with teens. Everyone argues with everyone.

• I hear you generally my expierence on GAG has been more positive than negative - I try to appreciate the positive more than let the negative get to me - Don't go, take a break

• People will miss anonymous dude. Good luck dude and sorry you feel that way about this site

• I can understand you finding the site toxic but personally I just got myself used to some of it. Endure it and find the site for what it's useful for...

• This is internet, not many people are being realistic.

• Not as bad as other sites, but leave if you want, no one gives a fuck.