The classic dumb GAG question. "He/she looked at me. Does that mean they like me"?

Variations of that question have been asked on GAG countless times. Do these people understand that no one can answer that question with any real accuracy. People who answer these questions should simply flip a coin, heads the person likes the person, tails the person doesn't like the person. That is as good a way of answering that question as any other.

What drives people to ask a question like that? Naivete, desperation, stupidity, ignorance etc?

Most Helpful Guy

• The stages of crushing on someone:
    Stage 1) Oh man she is way out of my league. I should try to get to know her more at least. I still have a shot.
    Stage 2) *sees her being friendly* Wow, she actually may like me.
    Stage 3) *twist her actions into making me think that she is paying more attention to me then other people* Wait, what happens if she likes me and is just waiting for me to make a move?
    Stage 4) Who am I kidding. She is way out of my league and is just being friendly to me because she is a friendly person.
    Repeat.

It is the fact that since you are crushing on them, you are wanting them to like you back. It is a well known thought that "Hey, if they are paying attention to me more than other people, they probably like me." The problem is we twist their actions to make it look like our crush is paying attention to us more. Since staring = a small form of paying attention, we are hoping they are staring at us more than anyone else. About 75% of the time though, it means absolutely nothing. So yes, it is in part naivety, but it is also the human mind playing mind games. I wouldn't go so far as to call it stupidity though.

TL;Dr; Everyone just is wanting some lovin'

What Guys Said 9

• I would say youthful desperation - If you had " You should talk to them " on a copy and paste, you would get 150 xper points a day in 10 minutes

• Confusion. And they have no one else they feel they can ask, so they ask us. And we're left scratching our heads. I have as good a chance of predicting the correct answer to that as I do of predicting if the next Roulette Dorito will be spicy or not. *munch* Yup yup. That was spicy. o. O

• Hahaa ya I know.. but what if the girl or guy is staring at the asker for long periods? Maybe that's when they ask the questions

• Do u like meh anon cutie 👄💋

• Well said. Completely agree

• Classic answer to that dumb classic question... No it doesn't mean he/she likes you for just looking at you.

• they are seeking validation. they want people to tell them what they want to hear. its no different then paying a physic or a fortune teller lol

• I think it is insecurity.

• Sounds like something a young teenage female would ask another young teenage female.

What Girls Said 8

• I think it's desperation. When people have a crush on someone they reach a different mind state. Love makes you blind and can yes, make you stupid to a certain degree because you keep wanting to see things that might not be there. I try to have some understanding on these kinds of questions cause I realize I've been in love too and might have tried to ask stuff like that too without realizing it how silly I sound.

• High school people are like babies. They look overgrown like adults but their minds aren't fully developed yet.

• They want a validation because they already fell for the person so they want to hear something just to make them feel good.

• Those questions are annoying and I see them way too often so I would hate to think that there are so many people that are so clueless that they can't tell if someone is interested especially if they can't stop staring or asked for your number. Yesterday I saw a 40 year old woman ask if a guy she worked with liked her she said he asked her out for lunch and always compliments her so its not just the younger ones

• Haha! I realized many who asked this question are the really young ones, probably very new to dating :) I know it's annoying but maybe we should just ignore them xD

What drives them? Youth, I guess.

• they look at your for less than 1 second and that must mean something...

• Omg can't stand that kind of question. How the hell are we suppose to know?

• It's a mixture of naivety, ignorance and desperation.