Do you come to GAG to debate?

I've noticed various users state that the motive behind interacting by making a comment is simply to debate. Not to have a productive, progressive discussion or to explore new possibilities. Yet simply to seemingly boost their egos and desperately try to show off what they know (or think they know). This often is expressed with entitelment as if they have a right or innately deserve cooperation, extensive time, thought, and effort from a total stranger for no other reason that they chose to invite themselves to that person's space.

I can't get into that. I come here to HELP. My motive for being here is to advise and guide not to waste dialogues and valuably limited time alive bickering in front of a screen. It seems like an utter waste of time to me especially if these individuals do not have the skill and social refinery to adquately debate in a way that's effective.

What's your view on this overall topic? What do you think is the thought process behind people like that? What motivates you to come to GAG?

• Yes, I come to GAG to debate
  • No, I do not come to GAG to debate

Most Helpful Guy

• If it is a constructive debate I will engage but if it is negative I will not engage. I am here to enjoying myself , I wouldn't class a shouting match as enjoyment.

• That is a KEY point. Some people seem to get so caught up in their ego and persistence to demand time, energy, and effort that they are not owed to actually realize when the conversation is unconstructive.

• Thanks for MHO

• You're welcome! Short and sweet answer. You hit the nail on the head in a mature, open-minded way that accurately relates to various situations. You also maturely managed to not be accusatory unlike me in the OP :/

What Guys Said 13

• i would argue that part of having a productive discussion actually does involve debate. You make zero impact with people in life if all you're doing is patting each other on the back and not really challenging the other person to think harder. A lot of people claim they are here for help, but in actuality they are here just to find confirmation bias in the people they are asking for "help". They want people to agree with whatever preconceived notions they logged on with, and they would like to log off with them too. So with some people, challenging them is helping them. Not being open to debate or being challenged is a self admission of the weaknesses in your own point of view. So its not quite as black and white as you're making it here in my opinion.

I come on here to post. That post may part of a debate, it may be part of a jovial conversation, or it may be part of an analysis of a situation. But by no means do i believe that having a productive/progressive conversation means having no debate. Debate is a prerequisite to real progressivism

• I disagree. The intent to be argumentative tends derail understanding towards a basic hostile interaction completely dissolving any valuable exchange of words. Or at least that is what I have experienced and observed in many occasions. You can't assume that the only way others are going to be impacted is by being argued with. Maybe that's how you function, but there are other individuals who don't need an argument in order to absorb what the other person is saying.

• You came in here so egotistically convinced that your opinion was fact that all you have left with is the same arrogant ideas you approached me with.

• Helpful Tip: Try not letting some egotistical mistaken intellectually superiority complex delude you about how factual and legitimate your speculations on total strangers are. You should take a clue or two from a mod like KDA20 who can make an effective point without becoming the problem he was appointed to solve.

• I come to GaG to chat with friends and give my opinion on questions where I might be able to help people. However some users like to shove their opinion down your throat and try to force you to agree with them. I think they are just trying to fill a need or void in their life by trying to get people to agree with them.

• It's not as black and white. If someone has a view in life they should be prepared to back it up in my opinion because if our opinions can't be backed up then why have those views? The world is a diverse place with even more diverse views so it's only natural that people will dispute those views.

I don't come here to debate but if someone comments on my answers and I feel they are wrong I will try to describe why and back it up with as much evidence as I can muster. I do it to other people sometimes when people just want to denigrate an entire group of people for no reason.

With me I enjoy being proven wrong because it gives me an opportunity to refine my knowledge about a particular subject. I don't know why knowledge or simply being exposed to a new way of thinking is so threatening to some people.

• I guess it all comes down to your intent here. If your intent on GAG is to play teacher, then you will probably constantly be awaiting for people to 'back up their views'. I don't go around reading people's answers to make sure that they've backed up their views because I'm humble enough to realize that people don't come to GAG crafting their answers to meet my standards and gain my approval. It's not my place to demand that someone backs up their view and to be quite honest, the act of doing that is a chore to me. I don't come here with my little imaginary red pen critiquing people's answers lol :P

There are ways to expand someone's mind and make them consider a new way of thinking without a debate or a generally argumentative approach.

• Oh yeah I wouldn't directly insult anyone but I will ask questions if I'm curious about a different way of thinking and all that. It's very rarely that I actually get hostile with anyone on here.

• I come here to answer questions, to give my opinions. I don't like debating, unless it's a healthy debate that doesn't cause trouble (and this is very rare).

• I agree! For many people who haven't even truly been trained how to properly debate and are more so just combining a dash of intellect with trying to be a smart ass, it all just starts to sound like noise eventually :/

• Yeah, and this noise really leads nowhere. It's always pointless debating.

• I come here to Give advice/insight, and to ask interesting questions.

But here MAINLY to debate? Not at all, my life doesn't revolve around conflict. :)

• When I first joined this site yeah I was about debating lol I was that angry pretentious somewhat arrogant teenager. I liked and still like debating but not to showoff, debates kinda just happen sometimes and I like them cause you learn a lot whether you win or lose plus you get to see and understand other peoples point-of-view. I don't debate as often just cause it doesn't happen as often on here since most people will just ignore you, cry about harassment even though you're not harassing them, or respond then block you just so they can get n the last word like the pussies they are. Nowadays I'm just going about my business all indifferent to most things *shrugs*

• I come here to tell it like it is

• Sometimes. But only if it's a good debate or a debate about something that's personal to me.

• Sometimes yes, but only with people that are worth talking to.

• I came here to be a pervert cause I won't get arrested here.

• It depends. i can debate, I do help and I do have fun. I rant sometimes.

• Definitely to have fun

• I debate but not because of ego but because they insult my relgion and I have to defend and I never insult anyone , do u think I do it coz of ego :(

• awwwh, what's your religion? :/
      You don't look familiar to me so I'm not sure if you debate for the sake of ego or not. Couldn't really say.

• Ahhh I see. I don't blame you. Muslims get a lot of ish these day thanks to a group of lunatics who like to misuse the Quran the way the KKK used to misuse the bible.

• I AM HAPPY THAT U UNDERSTAND 😃😃😃

What Girls Said 13

• I wouldn't say that I come here to debate, but I'm open to debate. If someone says something I disagree with, I'll sometimes challenge them on what they've said. If someone disagrees with me, I'm happy to explain and justify my view, as long as they're being reasonable and civil.

• I came here because I was really naive and I'm guilty of asking those 'what does this mean' questions, haha. But I was 16.
    Anyways, I will certainly type my heart out if I'm passionate enough about something. But people aren't going to change because you said some words to them, so I don't have that hope. I don't like to talk just for the sake of talking. I especially don't like to waste my time because there are so many trolls here. But I like how defending my ideas leads to more knowledge on that subject because I don't want to be an idiot.

• LOL! Lets just be honest, some of those "what does this mean" questions are really adorable and hilarious. :P When I was 16, I found myself ending back up at Yahoo asking ridiculous 'what does this mean' f*ckery

It's great to passionately stand by how you feel but do you find something off-putting when strangers online, whom have not earned any ounce of energy from you, have a pushy entitled attitude and practically demand cooperation from you? Maybe it's because one of my newfound pet peeves is entitlement...

• Oh naive versions of ourselves, it's nice to have grown up a bit.
      Hmm, I would be angry if someone was rude about requesting my opinion. But I'm a very curious person, so I can see how passion about the answer/opinion can lead to pushiness. However, rudeness shouldn't be thrown around. That being said, if the person's claim was highly offensive or pure ridiculousness then I can easily see people demanding an answer. Kinda like if someone said the sky was neon green but wouldn't explain anything about that claim. I see it as more of a case by case thing.

• I think a lot of people come here just to argue, which is why you see so many gay marriage, religion, feminist questions etc.

I don't come on the site everyday thinking to myself "I really want to argue today" but some how, I always end up saying something to one of those people lol, I just can't control it.

Also I think it's ok to debate through things sometimes, doing that has actually made me open my mind about various things because of this site and hopefully the same has happened for others.

• In the beginning I did, but now I find it exhausting. I'd rather give people advice and help everyone have as great of a sense of self-worth as I do.

• riiiight? that ish is draining! I'm at a point in my life where my daily end-goals include the maintenance of a peaceful, joyful day. So I find excessive bickering and dramatic, hostile tones to be a deterrent from that.

• I do when people piss me off XD but no i come to kill time

• Lol That's kinda how I feel. I come here to help people out with problems that are stressing them out and bothering them or just impacting them overall or if I have a bit of spare time. My thing is the entitlement that some people have like you owe them a thorough explanation and they have a right to take up your time and energy because THEY want to argue/debate. What do you think about that?

• No. I cannot though allow an irrational opinion to go by without saying something about it... because it's usually a stereotype or a generalization.

It is usually done by people who SHOULD KNOW better. If I ever generalize or make a statement like that without saying "I think/I feel/I've experienced" or something like that, I encourage people to let me know.

Oh well. I do have a problem with putting in my opinions when it wasn't asked for.

• I come to help, purely to help

• I like debate but that's not why I come on here.

• I don't come here to debate but if I'm pushed to do it then I will until I'm fed up and most questions are debatable so sometimes it can't be prevented. Most people that actually enjoy debating are the ones asking the questions that they know will be a debatable discussion.

• Freedom of Speech. It's the first Amendment in our constitution. That doesn't stop at GAG.

• ... uhhhh? lol well duh? I never said people can't have freedom of speech on GAG. I just said expressed that people shouldn't act like they are entitled to demand or drain the energy of others simply because they like to spend their free time sitting online bickering.

• lol I don't think your comment is mean at all

• I feel the exact same way.

• i retaliate when offended

• To examine how people think , Also to help and give advice.

• No, debating means arguing on here and I'm not interested in that