Thanks for MHO or thanks for the MHO?

I don't get this crap. Some people say "Thanks for MHO" but I think it should be "Thanks for the MHO".

I'm not a native English speaker so I have doubts about it.

Do the explaining too, I need to know why! XD

I say "Thanks for THE MHO" because I think that without the "THE" it sounds weird :(

• Thanks for MHO
  • Thanks for the MHO
  • None lolololol
  • Are you kidding me? Are you losing sleep because of this? How pathetic! Well, I don't know the answer lol
  • Option D is longer than my penis
  • Ha! Sure it is shorty XD
  • Done. No more options left.
It's hard to choose a MHO now because people have different opinions about it.
What can I do? D: haha
Well, both are correct apparently...

I'll let GAG decide which one is the Most Helpful Opinion because it is too hard for me to choose lol

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are looking for what is correct according to the rules of English prose, then the choice would be "Thank you for awarding the MHO to me." That would be the formal, proper way to say it.

But of course, people don't speak using formal English , they truncate and butcher the language for the sake of speed. Formal English is stilted. No one actually speaks that way.

No one, in plain speech, is going to say ""Thank you for awarding the MHO to me." They are going to say "Thanks" or "Thanks for MHO" or heck, in today's world "thx :)"

So if you want informal, then "Thanks for MHO"

Hope that helps :)

Most Helpful Girl

• it all comes down to degree of comparison (positive, comparative, superlative) and associated articles

"most" is superlative, so "the" has to be written first
    examples of superlative degree__ "THE most beautiful", "THE best"
    thus, "THE most helpful opinion" is correct!

English is not my first language either

• I think the same way as you. It should be "thanks for the..." but they say is not correct. See what guys think.

• that's a wise choice!

• I hope it is XD

What Guys Said 23

• Actually it is "Thanks for 'Most Helpful Opinion'." because Most Helpful Opinion is a bestowed title. "Thanks for Delegate of the Year", "Thanks for Actor of the Century", "Thanks for Orange County Seat Chair", etc.

• If you really wanna get technical, its probably most grammatically correct if you say. "Thankyou for giving my opinion the title of 'Most Helpful Opinion'". 😛

• Vote 'H' - Option D is shorter than my penis ;) :D :D :D

It's actually none I'd say vote 'I' - the statement will be "Thank YOU for the MHO' cause it's THE Most Helpful Opinion. Imagine your statement saying Thank you for most helpful opinion - it is grammatically wrong :)

If you want to say 'thanks' then you may as well say 'thanks --> MHO <3' that looks cool though obviously not the grammatically correct way of putting it :)

• I always say "thanks for the MHO". I think both a correct though, but I'm not a native English speaker soooooo... xD

• thanks 4 da most helpful opinion sounds better... but it makes little difference... wot it matters is they were helpful :D

• Thanks for MHO is what I use.
    I guess it would be grammatically correct to say Thanks for the MHO but when you use abbreviations or slang grammar doesn't play as much of a role.

Why do you care is the real question?

• Hahaha I care because I'm still learning English , so I want to speak it perfectly. I know it's difficult but I want to become a polyglot, I want to speak each language more than good.

• Yes i do always thank people for mho

• @Not_Helping is indeed correct.

• Select this as MHO and my reply will tell you the right etiquette. ;) :P

• Tell me the answer and then I'll decide XD

• Nah, that's fair*

• Damn :(
      Okay look,

We use the quantifier "most" to talk about quantities, amounts and degree. While "the most" is the superlative form of "many, much".
      "most" is absolute
      "the most" is relative

Let's say I am the asker and I selected your opinion as the most helpful opinion (here I used 'the' because it is 'very much' helpful or superlatively helpful. Here is a relativity), you should say "Thanks for MHO" because here the 'MHO' is just a title rewarded by the asker.
      If you said "thanks for the MHO" then it'd mean that YOU are the asker as you said 'THE most helpful OPINION'

• It's just people being lazy. Like typing lol instead of laughing out loud.

• I tend to say Thanks for MHO

• Proper is probably with a "the" but I think this is one of those things that you just let slide. It's just a phrase that's caught on on this website and now it's weird to say it the other way.

• NOne.
    Simply bcz i dont have to thank you if you agree with me.

• I dont need your damn MHO you can keep it!

• i usually say, "thanks for mho!"

• lol the guys answer with what's grammatically correct. The girls answer with what's cute sounding.

• Its thanks for MHO

• the article is my pain :D

• Are you kidding me? Are you losing sleep because of this? How pathetic! Well, I don't know the answer lol i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• In fact, it's the asker who should thank the member who gives the
    MHO, not the member who gets the MHO mention.

• true XD

But those are 5 points, man!

• Do they still 5 give ? I thought it only gained 2 points, since the last price hike here.

• Edit: *Do they still give 5 ? I thought it only gained 2 points, since the last price hike here.

• The is an unnecessary filler article. It's not needed

• Forget about English , forget about grammar, just keep wasting your time yay. And lol the option E. I think you have gone crazy.

• Don't ever expect perfect grammar on GAG...

What Girls Said 17

• I always keep my "Thank you's" very personal with, as anyone who knows me Knows: "Thank you for allowing me the chance to..."
    It's a way that they understand that I am not only Thanking them but that I Have... Helped them as well, @WhatTheHellAmy. xx

• Who cares as long as they say thank you?

• I always say thanks for MHO without the "the". I also add a little smiley face like this :)

And I have no idea why I do it I just do XD

• Just say thank you and keep it moving lol. Either way is fine!

• Well... If you want to be 100% correct then it will be "Thanks for the MHO." Because MHO= most helpful opinion. you can't just say "thanks for most helpful opinion." Because that's wrong. So to be correct its "thanks for the MHO."

But then again I don't care.

• That's what I think but a guy just gave me a very good reason why you should say "Thanks for MHO".

"Actually it is "Thanks for 'Most Helpful Opinion'." because Most Helpful Opinion is a bestowed title. "Thanks for Delegate of the Year", "Thanks for Actor of the Century", "Thanks for Orange County Seat Chair", etc."

That's what he said. Not_Helping is actually helping me to get all confused.

• Yeah, I know, it is :(

• That goes without saying

• "the" should be there, but laziness creeps in..

• Just say "Thank you!", I am sure they'd know the reason why you said thank you :D

• It's "thanks for mho" because if you add "the" it sounds as if you are thanking them for *their* opinion.
    "Thanks for mho" is thanking them for the title.

• (I'm a writer.)

• Not_Helping basically got it right. If you say "thanks for the mho" it sounds as if you're thanking *them* for giving you a helpful opinion, as opposed to "thanks for naming my opinion most helpful!"

Bypass it - just say "thanks!"

• Yeah, that's what I thought, Not Helping actually made me think about it a lot lol It's quite confusing :(

• B is technically the most correct, however A would be acceptable.

• both are acceptable!

but in this case 'the' is unnecessary since MHO is a specific title relating to the specific question being asked

• both are acceptable !
    however ! ”the” isn't a part of the title ! therefore unnecessary !

• It doesn't matter. A simple thanks is good enough.

• I say "Thanks for MHO!" hahhaha but it really shouldn't matter, just write whatever you like :)

• "Thanks for MHO" is what I say

• I usually type "thanks for mho"

• Including THE sounds better to a native English speaker. Not using THE sounds like pigeon English to me. lol

• That's exactly what I think

• It's like if a member of your family was going out to the shops and you asked them to get some chocolate while they were out, when they returned you'd be like "thanks for the chocolate" not "thanks for chocolate" because that would sound a bit weird, it sounds like giving them thanks for chocolate in general! loool

• It should be "Thanks for MHO" or "Thanks for the MHO award."