The blocking feature stops you from expressing yourself?

(The post is a little long, but if you don't wanna read it all, at least read the first paragraph, thank you)

I believe the blocking feature is a negative feature, why? Cause it only stops you from being able to say what you think.
Lately I've been being 100% blunt, being honest with my answers and not being all politically correct, and what I've gotten in result is a bunch of blocks just because I diagree with their opinion. You like red, I like blue -> Blocked. You like brunnettes, I like blondes -> Blocked. (these are just examples).

What I'm trying to say, is that people just block you with the only reason that you had different opinions. You comment on their opinion with the only purpose of showing them another perspective, and all you get is people getting offended and blocking you. I would understand it if I was being disrespectful, but I'm not. I've even gotten people messaging me asking for advice and when I don't tell them what they wanna hear, I get blocked.
This obviously stops you from being able to make a comment in those people's questions, or comment in their answers, which just results in not being able to express your opinion, to express yourself, which is the sole purpose of this site.

I get it that the blocking feature is good to stop creeps, but you could easily just allow messages from those you follow, and if you get people that are being creeps and disrespecting you all the time, just report them and leave that to the admins.

I know it's a long post, but I'm tired of how sensitive people are, you would think a 54 y/o woman will be accepting of your opinion, but not even at that age. It feels like it's only a handful of people who you can argue without the convo getting out of hands, you know, arguing in a civilized way, like mature grown ups.

Anyways, I'm gonna stop now, and hopefully hear your opinion.

Most Helpful Girl

• If someone blocks you just because they're tired of your opinion or whatever, they're really only hurting themselves.

The block feature lets people control their online experience. And that's okay. Sometimes I don't have the energy to deal with certain people so I assume others don't either. what if you're recovering from an eating disorder so you block people who talk negatively about body acceptance for your own health? What if you've been feeling like you're near an edge so you block other depressed people?

People don't need to justify their blocking habits. I understand that it's annoying when you can't comment on something that you would like to but that's life sometimes.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree, but it is exactly how it has been since the dawn of time. It is very unfortunate. Many people are immature, and rather just click the block button. It is an easier task than using your brain and actually *think*. I don't really care much about it anymore. I am used to it... But yes, it sucks.

• Yeah, but then it stops you from being able to comment in their posts. Just for one single argument months ago, you now can't even post in their question.
      But you're right, it is what it is. If they wanna have a blocking feature, make it so that that person can't PM you, but don't stop them from giving their opinion.

• Most helpful answer in my opinion.
      They should at least limit the blocking time, like 1 week or 1 month.

• @AledeEurope , " then it stops you from being able to comment in their posts. Just for one single argument months ago, you now can't even post in their question."
      And on the answers they give on other questions and on comments on these answers. It partly paralyses the site that way. (which must lead to loss of traffic)
      But for people who run out of arguments in a discussion it's a boon, of course. Since there are also members who are less gifted, these feel empowered and that's the appeal of the blocking feature. I guess that's why the admins keep it unchanged.

What Girls Said 12

• I don't have a problem with blocking certain people entirely. I had to block one guy who was basically following me around and bashing everything I said.
    However I HATE HATE HATE that anonymous asker can block further comments once you've answered their questions. It's so unfair! 😬

• LET'S CUT HIS HEAD OFF

• @Omar5881
      That's a bit bloody: a 1000 volt jolt to his computer wold be less messy.

• @BelleGirl21
      Indeed, the Anonymous function allows way too much.

• Blocking has the benefit of silencing haters, trolls, and creeps. But it also gives people the opportunity to block someone they disagree with, even if they've never talked to this person before. But that risk is worth it, I think. Otherwise we have no way of protection ourselves from the aforementioned people, which there are plenty of on the internet. Reporting people does not always get them off the site and it does not stop them from harassing you specifically. So it's better for it to stay, even if it's frustrating at times.

• Yeah, that's why I think the admins should get more involved with us, and start banning those users that only troll and harass others, cause those who are being respectful and using this site to give genuine opinions are paying for what some stupid people do.

• Isn't that always the case. I agree.

• I believe that blocking someone who spews hateful vitriol at me is justified.

• That makes sense, but if there was no blocking feature, you could report them and they'll get banned, which I think it's more fair in general.

• @jacquesvol You're also not spoken to the way we are :/

• @BellePepper that's probably true but you may have seen I get my daily dose of insults here.
      I block people too, when they won't stop insulting me but I look a few imes/month at the list and I release some of them.

• I get what you are saying but what if someone just won't shut up after they have already expressed themselves and are just determined to keep debating on something that the two of you clearly won't agree on? That's when I block people because I see it as harassment when I stop commenting on a post and come back with 10 notifications because someone is trying to get reaction out of me. I'm all for expressing yourself and a healthy debate but a lot of GaGers don't know what that means but the examples as for the examples you made I would never block someone for something so small and petty.

• That makes sense, but couldn't you report them to the admins? If it's harassment, it's against the rules of this site, so they could get a warning for that, if they keep doing it, they'll get banned.
      I hope GAG reads this post and see if they do something about it. I think a warning system is a better idea than the blocking feature.

• Asker, that makes sense.
      Or limit the blocking in time: 1 week or month, for instance.

• @Creole_Flavor
      "I would never block someone for something so small and petty. "
      ---
      " That's when I block people because I see it as harassment when I stop commenting on a post and come back with 10 notifications"
      Maybe think about changing your blocking technique.
      (I suppose you'll block me now)

• i have only blocked one person who started asking if i gave him my email i said i would never give it since he is a stranger and he said i was rude and i was shallow and i told him advice about stop hating himself that personality is much more important that i didn't like his attitude i could care less of his looks and then he frustated me saying you aren't even nice and you are telling me of pity i told him one last thing and blocked him (he was to negativa and boring ) he only wanted to take about what he hates in himself and how he labels me as person

• wanted to talk* i know its kinda inmature but still even if i report him it would be a nonsense reason to GAG but he was wasting my time, my advice and my friendly way towards him..

• I hope more people comment...
      And yeah, McDonald's in the first date is unacceptable xD If you wanna go cheap, even a walk in the park eating some ice cream is cheaper and a better option hahaha

• hahaha of course :)

• Ugh... I agree. This site needs to have some kind of regulation on the reasons that people block others for. Like for example you have to give a legitimate reason for blocking a user, like how you can report them. Blocking someone simply for merely having a different opinion to you is just foolish. You should only really block someone if you feel genuinely threatened or harassed by them.

• Exactly. It's ridiculous that in a site that the purpose is to give and receive opinions, you get blocked by doing that.

• Yup, you never know that the person you blocked could hold the perfect answer to a question you have. By senselessly blocking everyone you're only hindering your own experience.

• Couldn't have said it better, and it could also be the other way around, you could have the perfect answer for one of their questions, and not just for them, but other people that wanna know the answer to that.

• I could not agree more. People will block you for simply disagreeing with them, it should be stopped. Blocking is only when someone is harassing you.

• Exactly. I'm guessing you've been blocked many times, since I've seen you around here and you tend to be pretty blunt in your comments.

• @Gojira Yeah, that's usually how it goes. Most of the times it's them who start the argument and when they don't know what to say, they insult you, and block you (this happened with the 54 y/o woman I mentioned in the post).

• @ShaeNeilson - Sheesh 54? Some people never grow up!

• I love blocking people when they bother me. And if GAG takes that feature away then I will leave this website

• Just for that reason? Why don't you report them?

• Candy12345
      If they bother you sexually or insult you, or simply if you don't like what they write?

• I only have 1 chick blocked which I shall not speak of because of how badly she pissed me off.

• You definitely have a point. Props.

• Me = Yet to ever block any one on any site, even email.

• I block the creepers. It protects people from stalkers too. I have a stalker who keeps harrassing me. My only protection is to block him

• That's the only reason why I think the blocking feature is useful, but you should still report him, get him banned.

• I've always said this when it comes to the same person creating new accounts: the admins should block that person's IP so that they can't create a new account. There are some guys in here that keep creating new accounts and getting banned over and over again, but they still do nothing about this. Cause even if you block them or get banned, they just create a new account and do the same thing, that's why I think their IP's should be blocked.

• That's a great idea! Something needs to be done about them, because it's unfair to the genuine users. It causes me a lot of distress at times

What Guys Said 12

• Blocking has goods and bads. I've personally never blocked anyone. I have been blocked a plenty though. They are even conversations where I thought everything was cool then suddenly the mention feature wouldn't work because they blocked me. Overall what you're seeing is people being close minded.

I notice a lot of people are just looking for what they want to hear. yoh can see this through the mho system. You can have a girl asking about whether or not to take back a repeatedly abusive ex where tons of people are saying that it is a bad idea and the she will get hurt but once somebody says to take him back and that he will change watch how it gets mh.

I will say though that the blocking has some use for some. Some people feel that other users "follow" them into questions just to annoy them for example.

• Yeah, I hate when you think everything's cool and then you get blocked xD But you're right about the MHO thing, it's not about most helpful but about who said what I wanted to hear.
      I do agree that the blocking has some good stuff, but like I've told other people, you can just report them and get them banned, which is even better cause it stops that person from annoying other people in the future.

• You're free to express yourself all you want in your own opinions long as the Asker hasn't blocked you, but the block feature exists for a reason. Some users on here are really toxic and don't care about improving society or anyone's lives but just want to bring others down to their level. Reporting might weed out the obvious trolls but some of the smarter ones hide behind political correctness and the rules to try and cause as much grief as they can. The admins shouldn't have to thought police us and ban everyone who disagrees with someone else, that's why we have the block feature.

• You have good point there, but the blocking feature is just hurting others who just try to help.
      I got in this site mainly because I like to answer questions and help others, and if I get blocked because my answer wasn't what you wanted to hear, why on earth would I stay here?

• You do have a point but you have to understand those individuals don't want to improve themselves or admit they did anything wrong, they want other Liberal minded people to come pat them on the back and tell them it was wrong of their husband to slut-shame them for sleeping with his brother, best friend, and dog. Basically some questions are intended to be a big circle-jerk. However there are some Askers who actually do take criticism seriously, and you also have to remember that people other than the Asker and those who respond will read and like your response or learn something. Personally I don't put too much effort into answering questions or care about MHO, XPer, or any of that. I just kind of goof around and give advice sometimes.

• I've never used it, either I find someone does wrong and than I report them.
    Or I simply leave them alone, but I've never had to block a user. Fortunately :-)

• Me neither. I've had occasions where I could have blocked them cause of insults, but I just ignore them and move on, I don't even report them. I would only report if the post has explicit images, that's it.

• Yeah me too, if possible I'd rather walk away and do some peacekeeping haha :-)

• Yeah I don't really like the blocking feature as well, but you need a way to get away from those people that have harassed you or simply trolled you in the past.

• Specially with girls who are bombarded with messages and comments on their opinion from the perverts and creeps, but I do agree with what you are saying

• I get that, but you can just report them, get the admins to send a warning, if they do it again, they get banned.

• Then that means that admins has to be stricter and plenty of people would complain about that too

• i have been blocked a bunch of times too
    to be honest screw those people, they wanted a variety of opinions, and so i gave them some... take it or leave it
    I dont care if they like it...

• Yeah, I'm still gonna be giving my opinion, not gonna stop, but it's like you're getting punished for giving your opinion, which is ridiculous. I think people should only be taken their right to give their opinion if they are disrespectful or violate any rules, but just because I say something that's not like your opinion, or something you didn't wanna hear, it's not fair to be punished.

• yeah dude it sucks, but lets hope our honesty, gets through to some
      No reason to lie, no reason to agree on GaG unless you truly feel that way

• If they don't want your opinion, they don't want your opinion, it's that simple. I don't like the way the feature is implemented here though, it's definitely backwards compared to any other such site.

• I understand, but I still have the right to express my opinion.

• Actually, no you don't. They have a right to exclude you from their discussion of they choose.

• I only use blocking for offensive users.

• well i think you're probably purposefully offensive. and realise nobody has to welcome or accept you... get with that reality..

• I'm not saying they have to agree with my opinion, but it's still my opinion and as long I'm respectful, I shouldn't be punished for expressing it.

• Yeah, I know what you mean. What's more annoying is when you are blocked on an opinion on your own question.
    I think most people are just bigots or maybe it has to do with the famous saying "ignorance is bliss"

• I've never gotten blocked from an opinion in my own question, but that would be ridiculous.
      I guess your last sentence is totally right.

• Blocking is for cowards unless used to ward off persons attacks and abuses. I don't know why people want to waste arguing opinions.

• I agree with that, if you don't wanna keep talking to them, stop replying.

• Those who block you and me without any interactions, offenses, talks etc. are coward and insane..

• I agree. I've been blocked by people I've never seen in this site... xD Never talked to them and I'm already blocked ahhaha

• Apparently you're sensitive as well if you let that offend you.

• What offends me is when I can't express my opinion, and I think anyone would be offended by that. If you think being offended by not being allowed to express yourself is being sensitive, well, I guess I am.
      I'm not getting offended by the fact they block me, I get offended cause I can't give my opinion.