Why do people have pics of themself on here as their profile?

i just wondered why people have pictures of themselves as their profile picture? Why would you want anyone to know who you are on this site?

Most Helpful Guy

• i'd never do such a thing coz people would take my posts less seriously i believe

also i don't want people i know irl find me here... for xample wot if my mom bumps into GAG one day (even though chances r ultra-small... but still...) and notice me askin questions about farts and poo?

she'd kill me!

What Guys Said 18

• Because everyone needs to know that I fought to keep the Nazis from getting a hold of the Ark of the Covenant; and then later I fought to keep them from getting a hold of the Holy Grail. xD

• I salute you sir!

• @BelleGirl21 /tip-hat-to-the-lovely-lady

Just doing what archaeology calls for, ma'am. "They belong in a museum!" ;)

• Well that's a good question. I suppose many people today, young people especially, have a very liberal perception of acceptable public exposure. "Social media," such as it is, plays a role in this trend. I suppose there's some degree of anonymity in people's generally having usernames on GAG instead of going by their real names.

• Why not? Is it really that serious?

• Just because I won the World's Strongest Man five times doesn't mean I should be ashamed for using this website.

• I'm probably never going to post my picture on the profile but I usualky have one of myself on the 'what's your mood thing?' thing.

• I've considered this question and decided to go for a middle ground. Some people just like to have the identification while others use it to grab people's attention or for rate 1-10 questions. It's all personal preference

• I personally don't care if people know what I look like, I'm not trying to hide myself or anything

• Each has their own reasons for their avatar, I am just very simple and my own pic is easiest.

• I don't have a one and i will not, the reason is that i am keeping my privacy because i am only here to offer my opinions and i don't see any need to upload my picture..., but for those who have profile pictures it's their own choice, they have probably their reasons and i should respect that.

• Well why not, it's not like I'm getting stalked or something, and if people really wanted to do that, it could happen on facebook too, so should I refrain from putting a pic on fb too?

• Don't mind me. I'm just catfishing here O. o lol isn't that what "personalize" your profile means? To put whatever you want to put about yourself?

• Well, why not

• because i like putting a face to te opinions i give. makes it more personal

• Just why not?

• To put a face on the words.

• Because they want to make it easy for creeps to creep on em.

• totally agreed with u

• Because they want show that they can give best opinion for u

What Girls Said 8

• isn't that what a PROFILE pic is for? am I missing something? same with FB and other social media. Whats the difference? I sure as hell hope everyone else's profile pics here is who they are, otherwise i'd feel like an idiot for doing it!

• Sadly no... There are some catfishes on this site :/

• *rolls eyes* barbie... like i dont get that every fucking day of my god damn life. how original!!!

• haha you do? that is not that surprising to be honest

• Why not? Isn't that why there is choosing profile pic option? I don't mind/ simply don't care if my friends/ coworkers knows I'm here.
    This is a simple question, answer website. Where people try to help each other. Gives good advice and opinions and interact with some cool people. I'm not ashamed of being a part of it.

• My picture shows them what I look like not who I am. What I look like doesn't matter and I don't like silly cartoons/anonymous icons so that's why it's there. I also don't care if friends find me on here, a lot of them know i am on this website. I've answered questions in front of them before too.
    As if anyone on here who saw me IRL would have the guts to come up and say they know me.

• The site culture encourages people to use their own personal picture. I like sticking to my cat personally XD

• Because why not?

• I always have a picture of myself. It makes it more personal and I guess it doesn't bother me that people know what I look like.

• Because I don't see anything shameful about my face

• Yeah, I used to feel like you. Then I realized that at least half the people I followed had a pic up too and I thought it was unfair that I didn't and also that the chance someone from my real world could be here too is close to 0%. Nonetheless, I think I'll deactivate if someone would find their way here and were to recognize me. Not because I'm ashamed of what I say here, but because they are entering my mind without permission. I'm a private person in the real world.