What is the logic behind strangers online who try to miraculously proclaim who you are and over-exaggerate the worth of their viewpoint?

Recently, a few people on this website have tried to tell me who I am, what I’m about, and how I operate with incomplete knowledge on who exactly this nameless, faceless person is online. How does that make any intelligent, wise, efficient sense?

You cannot adequately, accurately summarize over two decades of life experience based on selective glimpses and no background information. Why is it that these people attach so much worth and value to their ASSUMPTIONS, SPECULATIONS, AND GUESSES as if they either expect applause or they want you to really ponder what they have said? Are some people really so ridiculously arrogant and pathetically egotistical that they truly believe they can miraculously form a precise profile of someone they have never even met, had a conversation with, and only been exposed to online? Is it that these people don’t have other more healthy hobbies or interests? Are they trying to inflate some delicate, fragile sense of self-esteem by attempting to show off what they think they know?

I’m curious because I find the whole thing quite humorous yet interesting. I had never interacted, had a legitimate one on one dialogue where collective personality traits were displayed or personal info was shared, or even followed these individuals. Yet they seemed to be highly aware of my presence or willing to pay enough attention to me to even try and form a speculation on who I am. What’s up with that? Why do you think these people do this and what are your general thoughts on this topic?

Most Helpful Guy

• I know what you mean.
    The site is officially a question and answer site but I have always viewed it as an advice site. The asker takes advice on board then decides their own way.
    Arrogance is rampant on this site, askers ask questions but often don't want answers then shout you down from their high horse. I do not engage with these people so I don't get into these heated character assessments you talk of.

What Guys Said 5

• Welcome to my world, and I'll up you two more decades. It's the Internet. I take it all with a grain of salt. A one ton grain of salt.

• No offense, especially considering that your question was quite "smartly" worded; but anyone who posts here I would think should expect some of what you questioned? There are quite a few people here who do not seem to act their age or IQ, so nothing has surprised me yet. Best to you.

• Difference of perspectives I guess. As much time as I've spent here, I've never felt the urge to sit around and devote my free time towards trying to profile bypassing strangers online who are not a majorly significant part of my life. That's useless, pointless, and unproductive especially considering the odds that with impartial knowledge, it only amounts to a weak assumption.

• Some people just can't under stand the simplist things around their surroundings and require a little extra help to clarify.

• Those you ignore and block. Why do you let what strangers assume upset you? You play right into their hands when you do. They don't know anything about you and they know that. And they know you know that. They just want to kiss you off and upset you. And you show them they succeeded. Forget blocking, just ignore and if harassment continues, report. That's the adult way to handle immature losers.

• People are ridiculous. If you disagree with them it's because in their mind you're obviously and automatically evil and all the other adjectives they wouldn't use to describe themselves or people they like. Done.

What Girls Said 0