Would you avoid or not take a question seriously if it was asked by a young kid (below 16)?

I see a lot of sincere questions asked by younger people who either get no respsonses or if there are any, they are things like "ask your mommy" or something immature like that. Why would it really make a difference? It really bugs me to see that often on here. If you have done this please explain.

Most Helpful Guy

• i would because i accidentally clicked the wrong year. im actually 20 :P

but yes, i want to answer young questions whenever possible. i want to give them all the positivity in the world to ensure they grow up into full, loving people who know how to treat each other. thats why im on gag.

• Nice answer, thank you for responding

Most Helpful Girl

• Coming from someone who was here when the site was 16+, sometimes it does feel a bit odd to see questions from kids who are like.. 13. Mostly it makes me feel old.

And to be honest, there are a fair number of them that do seem immature and naive. But I mean that's just how you are at that age. I remember when I was 13, I remember how I acted on the Internet, the things I knew and didn't know, what I was curious about, etc... I'm kind of glad this place wasn't around for me then. Given the way the younger users are treated, I probably would've turned out really bitter and wouldn't have lasted long here at all, lol.

I never understand when people get all annoyed by questions from the younger users.
    First off, if something bothers you or you don't have anything to say that isn't patronizing... fricking skip over it. Keep scrolling. No harm done.

Second... I think those people forget what it's like to be that age, and have little respect for those users. It's silly, but age and narrow minds can do that to you.

Third, some people just seem to think that the younger users like, don't deserve to have access to certain kinds of information. A lot of the content here is more geared towards young adults.. not kids fresh out of middle school. But that's a debate I don't think will ever be satisfied, because we all mature differently. My only advice is don't go digging for things you aren't prepared to handle responsibly. But then again lessons and experiences are all a part of growing up... this rambling is getting pretty useless.

TL;DR, this whole thing bugs me too and there's no reason not to take someone seriously just because they're younger than you. But welcome to the Internet, I guess.

• Thank you for your answer i apreciate it and loved your response, i wish more people saw it this way 😄

What Guys Said 15

• I judge a question based upon its subject, and content, rather than the age of the poster. I have no problems answering questions from teens, as they are no less relevant than anyone else's. If I can help them learn something that took me a lot longer to figure out, then I'm happy to do so.

There is one exception to this, however. I prefer not to answer sexual questions for those under 18. If it's a question on how to be safe; that's one thing, but I will not tell a fourteen year old how to give a blowjob. It makes me uncomfortable to discuss that with someone underage.

• I have to agree. Sexually-oriented questions, while valid, and your honest asking is difficult for some because of all the 'underage sex' crimes on the internet. I don't answer sexual questions because I don't want BIG BROTHER to misinterpret the legitimate answer to be a solicitation for sex with a minor.
      While some questions could be answered easily, and simply, to you, from the one responding, the Gestapo may misinterpret that INNOCENT response, attempting to help someone, as something else!!
      We are supposed to have Freedom of Speech, but how the current regime interprets that is questionable, at best!!
      It isn't that we don't WANT to respond, and help you with our past experience, knowledge, or having been there, it's just that too many times it could be misinterpreted by some. . .

• Depends on the teen some are real immature and if you tell them something that they dont want to hear they try to play the oh your old game to fire back at you. It has happened to me twice now and the last time was 24 hours ago.

• I would be less likely to READ a question by someone that young. I honestly think that's too young to belong to an advice site, and until a year ago this site was limited to 16 and up, actually. They only lowered the age to get more advertising, with a larger membership, not because they thought people that young belonged on the site.

Now I think they should split the site by age...

But if the question is interesting or probing, yes, I will take it just as seriously as if it were written by someone over 30

• If the question is actually asking for real information, then I tend to answer even below the typical age threshold... but under 15 (and especially in the 13-14 range), a LOT of questions are just "why are guys so stupid and immature?"

Everyone is immature at that age, they just don't realize, hah. That's the beauty of being a teen.

• It would depend on the question to be honest I mean if it is something serious or something they actually need advice on I'll gladly help them out if I can, but if it is something sexually related like how to do stuff I won't answer it as that makes me pretty uncomfortable.

Or if they are just being trolls or immature or their grammar and punctuation is so bad I can barely read it then I won't answer it. So it depends upon a variety of things not just their age.

• No not at all. Age has nothing to do with maturity. I have met 13-16 year olds who were much more mature than someone two to three times their age. I do not avoid them at all and like to help them if I see those types of questions.

• I judge the question not the questioner.

• I'd answer it.

• It's not like that in fact they are more curious than us and we should guide them if they are asking. (Even a silly question) keep yourself in their age and then think about questions. And in most of cases you will find that at that time you're less knowledgeable person...

• I don't take questions less serious when a young teen asks it

• Would depend on the question. If it was sensible then I would answer it..

• I usually can't take anything someone around the age of 14 or below seriously,
    it's more often than not ridiculous what they say, think and write.

• you disregard the question when you see their young age? Or you just don't feel it is as important or serious because of the age? I mean i have seen plenty of immature posts from older askers as well. If you can, please explain to me if you just can't take it seriously or if you dont even bother looking at it, etc.

• Give me an example of a question asked by a person below 16 and I'll give you an answer

• 1"What are your favorite bands?"

2"What body type do you prefer?"

3"I saw my brother naked what do i do?"

4"Wondering if social anxiety will stop me in life?"

5"Favorite horror movies?"

6"How do i deal with these bullies?"

• I'll answer #4, it depends on how bad your social anxiety is, is it stopping you from going out of the house, meeting new people, interaction etc? If you answered yes too at least one, it's always best too deal with it right away, stalling will only make it worst. I used too have social anxiety, maybe I still do, I'm not sure but the way I dealt with it, is forcing myself into situations where I was the center of attention. I went too a Toast Master and we did speeches, skits in groups and solo, in front of our peers. I'm not going too tell you to to that right away, it took me a REALLY long time too convince myself too go. I watched some videos on YouTube on how too deal with speaking too small and big audiences. Surprisingly it helped a bit, and that's when I went too my first Toast Master. The first night was nervwracking, but everyone is there for the similar reasons, so there is little too no judgement. I made a lot of friends during my year doing that.

Good luck :)

• Thank you so much i apreciate the advice! Hopefully that helps me in life good luck with your situation as well

• I really hate the ageism on here.

• I don't but they aren't really looking for advice a lot of the time they just want people to reaffirm what they've already decided. I was trying to tell a 14 year old why dating a 19 year old was bad and literally me and 8 other people were all saying why it was bad but they just kept ignoring it and getting pissed we weren't agreeing with her.

What Girls Said 13

• I agree. Some people have terrible parents and should not be asking their parents for advice about ANYTHING at all. Sometimes you need to ask outsiders for help.

• No I wouldn't in general. However sometimes I find myself typing the same old answer on nearly every 13 year old's love dilemmas. It can be tiring. However I do not in general let it influence me.

• It depends on what they are asking for the very same reason you don't like seeing immature responses. I usually avoid answering questions that I see that makes me shake my head and the majority of 16 and under ask questions like to argue with experienced GaGers when they are only trying to help. If I notice that you are arguing with everyone in your comments I won't bother answering. If you already stated in the details of your question that you don't want to leave your boyfriend and you ask if you should, I'm not gonna tell you to drop him like a bad habit especially if you are looking for someone to tell you stay. I've also come across teens that tell half the story and when we answer their questions we get insulted for "judging" because we don't know the full story. l and its not just an age based thing It's a lot of sensitivity and know it all attitudes that love to say just because you are older than me does not mean you are more experienced and I should listen to you. This has been my experience here all are not like that but I generally just avoid touchy subject questions instead answer general questions if I don't think it should be common sense.

• I ignored the most of the time. They will either argue with you or won't listen

• Yeah i have noticed sarcastic comments like that too. It is very immature of people posting comments such as that. I never ignore young peoples questions if i feel i can help them in some way.

Actually , a while ago i asked a question and i gave the MHO to a guy under 16. It was the most sensible , thoughtout , sincere opinion out of all of the other opinions. He was very insightfu, and extremely helpful.

Just remember to never judge yourself based on other peoples sarcastic opinions , they judge people based on their ignorance.

• The chances are if an under 16 year old is asking questions on here is because they don't have anyone to ask or they are too embarrassed to. I think personally they should be given advice just the same as anyone over 16. 😊

• I almost never look at the age of the asker. It gets me into trouble at times lol

• Honestly I am only 13 and yeah I have parents but sometimes I don't like what they have to say and sometimes I can't ask them things.. I think if someone is my age or under 18 they basically don't take it seriously... I know we are young but we need help too! thanks for actually noticing

• I've seen it and experienced it a lot. It's annoying. We need help just like everyone else so why can't we get it? When I ask a question, I expect serious answers. I rarely get them. And we're the immature ones? Sure.

• I barely notice the age on questions.

• Take it seriously, we have all been there so to demean someone's question because of their age is pretty rude and insensitive.

• It really bugs me as well. I'm 14 and I am not immature or am I? I'm just trying to get answers from safe sources. Opinions please?

• Yeah people do this to me a lot. If you don't want to answer, scroll past you idiotic fools. Maybe they're things you can't "ask your mummy" so shut up and either answer or leave.