Do you think GaG has gone to far with the ads?

I am sorry for the horrible quality this question shows up and for all the mobile users that won't have the text fit for there screen. Sadly i can't make a long post on this site because of the annoying limitations so i had to do this trick in order to bypass the limit. In addition the site does not allow posting of high quality images as they wan't to convert and host everything themselves. So if you want the view the original high res image you can go here.

• Yes, GaG has gone to far and should change there site. I plan on quitting if they don't.
  • Yes, GaG has gone to far and should change there site. I block ads until they do.
  • Yes, GaG has gone to far and should change there site. I am less active as a result.
  • Yes, GaG has gone to far and should change there site. I won't post content until they do.
  • No, everything is fine as it is / Yes, They have gone to far but i don't care to much.
Those of you who are a higher exper level like me and don't get the ads when you are logged in try to vote based on your experiance when you are logged out. This post is mainly to defend our lower level users.

Most Helpful Girl

• Thank you for your feedback! We have taken care of the explicit advertisement. The first screenshot you included is not an advertisement though. It's simply a social integration test we're doing to spread the word of GAG through social media. The testing should be done soon :)

• I wish i could give you MHO but the recommended false advertisements are still there with the same questionable content. On top of that i spotted yet another recommended content ad yesterday.

Why is it that you need so many ads? Most sites get away with adsense alone and a max of 3 banners on the page. Or otherwise since gag is a bit bigger, a couple of CPM doubleclick ads and viglink.

Viglink and doubleclick i dont think many people would have problems with. Its the exsessive amount of ads from these 50+ ad providers that is the issue.

• It's a free site, ads are pretty much the only way for the site to profit. We realize that users don't like ads though which is why when a user reaches level 7, they no longer see ads.

• Ofcourse i understand that you need the ads for the site to have profit, its the only reason why until now i have not used adblock yet. What i do not understand is why you need this excessive amount of more agressive ads. Why is GaG so expensive that a regular banner ad doesn't cover the cost of the site and you keep adding more and more?

Most Helpful Guy

• well i have an ad block on, so 90% of this isn't really an issue for me. The related articles thing has always been bad, which is why i don't click it. All in all though, what interests me are a select few of the people on gag at this point. What the site owners choose to do with ads doesn't really concern me much. They also frequently dance the line between what kind of sexually explicit material is allowed and which isn't. If it bothers you this much, i probably would leave because its definitely not changing any time soon

What Girls Said 13

• Yes I'm kind of pissed I was promised after I reached a certain level adds won't pop up any longer and it hasn't for the longest and yet with this update I keep seeing this stupid "Do you know anyone who would like this?"

I also see all of the other ones of course but I don't really care as much because it isn't really popping up.

• I get pissed off with the ads when trying to log in. Just fuck off and let me log in for christ's sake. They make the page jump around.

However, that is what pays for the site sooo... they have always had really bad pop up adverts here, I don't think it is any worse apart from that dumb social media share thing. No, if I wanted to share it I would - stop trying to make me!

• I don't really care enough. That weird sharing pop-up is super annoying but I don't see any other type of ads because I'm Level 9.

• Would you have cared if you wasn't?

• Probably, but then again I'm only still here to get another Amazon gift card before I go back to school.

• when i was still level 8, i only saw ads when i'm on a work computer. the way they were displayed was really annoying.

i understand GaG makes money off ads, but instead of having ads everywhere that just make people get adblock (thus asking us to donate), the ads should be tastefully placed. like some could be placed on the sidebar in place of the "Top Topic Xpers", etc.

• i find it really annoying when a random add starts playing or you just get tonnes of adds blocking up your page, i now have adblock active when i use GAG but 5 minutes it asks me to disable adblock or donate..

• You can get rid of that using the Block Element option.
      Just keep clicking on the things to block until it is gone.

• I do it on my laptop but when I'm on my phone GAG becomes a total pain in the butt

• It's annoying when trying to log back in so I can imagine how annoying it is for the lower level users that have to deal with it constantly.

• its not cool and it kind of annoying tbh i voted A

• I find it most annoying when I use GaG on my phone.

I end up clicking on the ads instead of what I intended to click on.

• It doesn't bother me. I'm not here very often. I'm reducing my Time here.

• Absolutely

Its a f***in nuisance

• I have only been getting the 1st one. But its like every 3 damn minuts it pops up!
      Ok i got the idea already 😒

• And once it even made me click somewhere else when i was answering a question and i ended up posting my answer in the wrong question 😑

• Yea annoying as all eh?

• They have to make money somehow

• USE ADBLOCK... thank me later

What Guys Said 10

• I am lucky that I am above the ad threshold but I remember when I was getting ads it annoyed me a bit - I have been thinking about the ad for telling friends about GaG is a bit weird because anytime there is a question about knowing anyone on GaG in real life, a lot of people are horrified because they say personal stuff here. I think GaG made mistakes making over level 7 ad free and offering prices for Xper.

• I've only been getting the first one frequently so far. its a bit annoying yeah but I don't think it will be this way forever, maybe they're just trying to boost their stats keeping these ads up for maybe... a few weeks.

• You should browse the site without being logged in more often bert, most ads dont appear for us i am speaking from a level 6 or less users perspective.

• I can give that a try but in my case it would be pointless to browse while logged off since I can't post. but for the lower levels, im not sure if that means more ads for them or not, we'd have to consult with an admin.

• Yes the have gone too far. I use to get no ads because I was over the xper to not get them but now I click on a question and an ad fills my screen so annoying. :(

• But then again I guess no one would pay a monthly free to use the site, I know I wouldn't.

• I can't open a question without closing ads , it totally has gotten out of hand. , I get zall the ads I want on tv and radio thank you very much

• Adblocker Plus doesn't stop it every time and on my phone the add is blocking me.

A major PITA thus.

• Adblocker is your friend!

• it doesn't work the first add will end up appearing again after several minutes

• Yeah i just noticed that with each new tab, the ad comes up again. It could be worse..

• Adblock Plus for Chrome gets rid of all of them

• Completely true, the problem is the site doesn't get any money that way.
      This is mainly here to raise attention before everyone starts using adblock like many already did.

• I don't see ads as I'm past 9xp level

• it is starting to get annoying. Very annoying

• One word: AdBlock.