Should GAG remove the first comment bonus?

It just encourages people who don't genuinely care to comment so they can boost their score. Which means points takes precedence over actually helping people.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes because it should not be about who can answer the fastest but rather who provides the best quality answer.

What Girls Said 4

• No, but they should only give the bonus to the first quality response. There are more than a few people who click on new questions just to leave some nonsense or not helpful one or two sentence "answers". They are point farmers and all they care about is getting that bonus point.

• That means admins would have to go through every query to make sure that the response is quality isn't it? And what iff that quality response is 20 comments later?

• True. The point system is automated so there's probably no way around avoiding the nonsense first answers besides setting a minimum word count or something. And that would just be annoying.

• They can do whatever they want

• Yeah, I think they should.

• No. A lot of people don't want to answer questions because it's too long. So the bonus motivates them

What Guys Said 9

• I voted no. I think it helps encourage people to answer unanswered questions which is a good thing. Maybe the extra Xper could only apply to posts that weren't answered within one hour of them being asked? Then there wouldn't be idiots racing their answers to get that extra point.

I do think that there should be some kind of way of rewarding good opinions as opposed to the crap ones. Maybe every 3 up votes gives an extra point and mhos are fifteen Xper? Or how about the asker can reward good opinions by clicking a button and that poster gets extra Xper.

I'm annoyed by posters who just give crap one line opinions without trying. Obviously we all do it occasionally but some do it constantly and get twice as many Xper as someone who posts rarely but very well.

• It used to be a lot worse and actually they lowered the bonus. There used to almost always be the same user (s) posting 1 sentence "opinions" and they eventually toned it down.

• Yeah it used to be an extra three points or something for leaving the first answer for your gender. That's how they racked up so many points in such a short amount of time. Ridiculous.

• Yea that was ridiculous seeing the same user posting bogus "opinions" like that @musicbrain5

• I think the point is more to get people to answer every question, so you get at least one guy and one girl. I understand you and think you are right, I have seen lots fo users who do this and it is super annoying, but I also like the goal... not sure if there is a better alternative.

• I honestly didn't even know there were points or first comment bonuses and such. Shows how much I pay attention. I'm just here because I like it; seems like a good community and the topics never fail to peak my attention.

But should they remove the bonus; doesn't really bother me either way. I see the point in providing incentive for people to respond sooner but I think if you ask something your going to get an answer regardless. With that being said I voted yes to remove it. Seems like all the kids who post "First" in the YouTube comments or in a forum thread; no reason they just want to be first and have their name up there.

• Why have Xper points at all? The only reasonable measure of ability seems to be MHO. I don't care if I'm Guru, Master, Xper 1 with 10 points. I'm only here to give the best help I can.

• I wouldn't lose any sleep if it was removed.

• Hey that's me lol

• That or at least modify it, often I'm the second to comment on a question and will have been beaten by only a couple seconds. Yet my answer will be detailed and have involved some consideration/thought and the winner (first answer) will be some crass comment or a poorly worded fragment of a sentence. Which indicates that I would have likely started answering first and that had I been just as lazy would have been the first answer. I think the question asker should be able to check which answers where helpful and not helpful (as well as having MHO) and that way it could be the first helpful answer that gets it.

You could have a minimum word limit to get first answer but then people would just submit garbage paragraphs, so I doubt that would fix it.

• they need to add other bonuses and probibly increase the mho reward more