Do you know why this is?

I have noticed the users on GaG who give the most intelligent, respectful answers are the under 18's.
Why is this?

The 25-29 males are the ones who are most disrespectful and give the most silly unintelligent answers
Why is this?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think some of us young 'uns with a modicum of imagination can understand what the questioner is really asking. We take the time to put ourselves in the shoes of other people. We ask ourselves, "How would that feel if it were me?" "What would I do in this situation?"

We want to help because we may have experienced similar things quite recently, as we are learning about ourselves all the time. So a 40 year old may ask a question about something that they haven't dealt with for 20 years. A 17 year old may have experienced it last week, so it's all fresh in his mind.

• See you have proven my point. You are 17 and given the most intelligent comment using reasoning.

• Thanks for MHO!

• Welcome!

What Guys Said 13

• hmm.. it can't always be like that. but there are accounts with incorrect age so its hard to come up with some statistics.

• Good point! You have had a lucky escape, you are 24 you just miss the 25-29 so you're safe

• don't hate me in a few months! D:

• I've noticed a few things myself:
    under18 - generally nice and respectful with some rare exceptions.
    18-24 - the most varied group. Can't be defined.
    25-29 - here's where the crazies start appearing but generally most are still decent.
    30-35 - I've noticed that most of the sexist males come from this age group. The way they speak about women and life in general just seems so nihilistic and cynically sexist and what not. The women are no better, either desperate for attention or trashtalking.
    45+ the craziness is somewhat diminished at this age group. Normal people are more frequent.

• Its probably because they are still young and impressionable, and therefore are easily influenced by what they are learning on GAG. And since GAG is the source of their learning, they treat the site much more seriously. While the people who joined this site when they were already adults already have their own beliefs and have already been brough up a certain way, and therefore they treat the site much more lightly; and usually only use it as a means to kill time.

• I think each of the genders and age groups has its good/bad users.

• Maybe it has something to do with teenager being still kids, but wanting to be grown ups? (I believe kids see adults as intelligent and respectful people). Because being a teenager is like being torn between two sides. It's like you are still a child, but you aren't any more and you need to start doing things on your own. So we can say that teens are kids trying to be adults, thus giving such answers. It's just my opinion though.

• Intelligent? No, really not. Many under 18s here wouldn't be able to calculate the square root of 4, with a calculator. They don't understand people too well either and they are certainly not really educated yet. The only thing about under 18s is, thanks to media propaganda of the 21st century, they are usually very "tolerant" and "open-minded" and so on.

• I have no idea what you're talking about ma'am.

• Oh you are within the 25-29 range so of course you don't know

• It's probably because what you consider an 'intelligent' answer is one that panders to your feelings/bias instead of being honest and holding any substance.

• Edit: oh god, please don't tell me you're that one troll who doesn't shut up and speaks about how nice and kind you are and how evil guys are..

• Lol no i love you guys, so it's nat me

• I think it's the 18-24 that gives intelligent respectful answer and 30+

• idiots come in all different age groups and genders. let's avoid categorizing

• Maybe because we're actually trying to help each other ya know they're to old

• because you have the inteligence of a 18 year old... .

• My point is proven

• your initial statement/question is more stupid and generalizing than anything i've seen on this site. and my comment gave you the answer you deserved. you relate better with teenagers cause thats as far your development/intelligence goes... .

• You keep proving my point

• You sure we're on the same site?

Guys tend to more often be disrespectful (particularly the younger, under 25 ones). Intelligence is about evenly divided, guys are more often silly, when girls want to be funny they are more often wry or sarcastic.

The under 18 guys tend to give bad advice and the under 18 girls are not a whole lot better.

• You would say that. Look at your age range

• the guy tried to reason with you and talk with logic, but that seems a realm completely unknown to you.

• I think she was joking. At least I hope so.

This question and thread reminds me of a story by Richard Garnett.

www.gutenberg.org/.../10095-h.htm#p114

What Girls Said 8

• I personally haven't noticed this.

I have seen intelligent answers from pretty much all age ranges.

I've spoken to under 18s that were rude, and your stereotypical know it all teen.
    Then I've spoken to some that seem knowledgeable.
    The same goes for every age group.

There are wise people in each and every one of the age groups.
    As well as disrespectful , rude people as well.
    I'd be lying if I said most intelligent answers came from the under 18s.
    That isn't true in my opinion.

• I don't agree with this.

• I haven't honestly seen this.

• Not to sound cocky, even though it totally is, but honestly I agree. I find it rather surprising because you would think adults would have learned respect by now.

• I get disrespected the most by the age group even when I am giving polite insightful answers

• I have noticed. I have given the most MHO's to under 18's because their opinions impress me the most and are most helpful

• I don't believe I've personally noticed this about guys, but I have noticed that many 25-29 year olds are fed up with women and the dating scene, and some even go as far as to say that women aren't worth their time or effort anymore. As for the 18 and under, I think they're just happy to chime in and to be able to be open even if it is just strangers on the internet.

• intelligence can not be calculated from here
    i think most of the male users give fun answers, this is what bothers you maybe?

• Because they think they are so mature and look down on the younger kids. :/ I see that often too.

• I haven't seen this.