Are the Admins at GAG sexist or what?

So I saw a question earlier that asked if feminism was evil. One guy commented the following:
"Feminists are pieces of white dog shit trying to emasculate men FUCK them bitches if I seen one I'm knocking her ass out she gets no respect for me and in my eyes she's just a stud dude looking ass bitch".

My response to this was to call the guy a "Total idiot" I have since recieved a message from GAG telling me that my comment was offensive and it has been removed and I have been warned about my behaviour. However the original comment I was responding to has not been removed. Can someone please explain the logic in this?

• Yes GAG is sexist
  • No GAG is not sexist
  • GAG is not sexist in general but this scenario is ridicules

Most Helpful Girl

• Your opinion was removed due to namecalling which violates our posting guidelines. Instead of engaging with someone like that, you can always report their opinions which notifies the admins. This users opinion you are referring to has already been removed for being offensive.

• So calling sombody an idiot is deemed worse than calling somebody "white dog sh*t and a b*tch". If that's how GAG sees things. Perhaps the guidelines need a morality check.

• @LokiOfEngland Both are violations of the posting guidelines so both were removed.

What Guys Said 21

• The exact same ting happens when people post racist comments. If you RESPOND in a 'rude'way, YOUR comment will be removed, but it seems never the racist question...

THat's how, after two weeks, I was fired as a moderator, for deleting obviously racist posts.

Catering to US teenage prejudices, the admins don't crack down on racism or sexism, at least not sexism that's directed at foreigners... strange considering Gag is run by Turks if I'm not mistaken!

• And I consider myself totally anti-feminist. but that sort of language, containing physical threats, I would never use against anyone, feminist or not! That person should be immediately suspended from Gag for a time, if not permanently banned, and of course Their question should have been instantly deleted!!! It's a scandal they only acted against YOU,,,,

• GAG is sexist for sure and some of the admins are too. I know one of the female ones here that is but I am not going to mention her but GAG is a sexist website anyway.

• That is incredible - I don't think it is deliberatly sexist it is just totally inconsistent that was the reason I resigned as a moderator.

• The admin/mods aren't sexist. They are just extremely inconsistent.

• He didn't attack you directly. You did attack him directly. None the less the admins troll hard on a lot of different accounts and sometimes they get their feelings hurt.

• They're not sexist, it's their system that is stupid. They automatically look for insult words like "idiot" and report you for it regardless of the situation or the question.
    This happens on multiple question/answer websites: somebody posts an offensive question and doesn't get reported. But then someone responds to that offensive question with an insult and gets reported.

• In my experience a majority of the time yes. When I had my old account a year ago I didn't really have much problems speaking my mind now I have to censor what I say and how I say it. Usually I am pretty docile but if someone doesn't agree with you they will report you and your comments or takes will get removed.

• If individually see your case apart others, i would say yes. but with so far such amounts of attention seekers and security boosting question on this site every day. i would say the gag definitely been tolerant and inclined to feminism ,

• Well I think it was because he wasn't attacking you directly while you were. I'm sure they want to promote feminsism as well lol.

• Normally I don't think they are but in your case something was seriously messed up.

• No I don't believe so, sure they may have some outlandish opinions but everyone is entitled to there opinion. People who blurt out extreme non sense just ignore because they are normally trolls.

• They seem random in terms of what they'll remove but whatever no hard feelings

• If anything, gag has been trying and trying to promote feminism and for every single guy in this site to accept it so...

• It has nothin to do with that but words you used.

• You were in the wrong, not him.

• How was he not in the wrong? Recalling woman "pieces of white dog shit" is acceptable is it?

• It's his opinion tough and even if it was antagonistic he didn't direct it at anyone, unlike you.

• We all have our opinions, but name calling is not appropriate

• Normally I only see guys answers get removed. Girls answers rarely get taken off.

• i'm a gag admin.

• lol the gag admints are idiots... my acc got frozen for 48hours and they already have deleted 4 questions of mine...

• If you're looking to GaG to be a morale compass, look elsewhere.

• No GaG is not the sexist , they remove stuff that they want to, the other stuff remains
    posted and it's the stuff that should be removed , i don't get involved with no
    arguments and keep a clean record so some day i can purchase the
    Girls Ask Guys domain , yes i will make a offer to the company and turn this
    place into something for people who can speak on their mind but lay off of
    the adult sexual questions that needs to be saved for a Adult Website ,

What Girls Said 13

• Moderators are people, and as such we all have our own biases. While I think it's important to try to keep your personal biases in check, I imagine that some people make an effort to do so, and others might not. Moderators have the ability to hide posts that break the rules, and then the admins make the ultimate decision to remove them.

There are far more moderators than admins, so I imagine that most of the questions and comments that are removed are done so either because a moderator has hidden it or a user has reported it. If neither of those things happen, it's unlikely that an admin will know about them. Also, even when things are hidden or reported, it can take some time before admins get around to removing them (for example, in the past, I've tried to hide things and been told that they were already marked for review or that I myself had already hidden it at some earlier point in time).

The rules that we are given are, to be honest, pretty vague. They leave a lot up to the moderator's discretion, which is good in some ways, but also leaves even more room for people's personal biases to come into play.

In my personal opinion, both of those comments should be removed. I would consider yours to fall into "Offensive" and the other users' to be "Antagonistic".

"Offensive
    The posts that contain content that is insulting, degrading, distasteful, and/or irrelevant. Healthy debates are encouraged, but racism, sexism, and blatant personal attacks and/or insults are not.
    Example: “Black people should all be killed.” “I want to rape and kill all women!”, “You are stupid”"

"Antagonistic
    While we encourage lively debate, posts that bait, antagonize, or lack a genuine question should be hidden.
    Example: “I hate all Christians. Here’s why.”
    Example: “Democrats/Republicans are all idiots and lazy. Do you agree?”"

A charitable view of what happened in this situation is that your comment was a "blatant personal attack", but the person hiding it may have been unsure whether or not the other comment should be removed (I'll admit that while that comment seems pretty clear cut to me, there are many others that I feel unsure about---it can be difficult to find a balance between allowing for open discussion about sometimes controversial topics, and making GAG a welcoming place where people feel comfortable engaging in discussion).

A less charitable view is that the person has a bias against feminists.

• It's not a matter of sexism whatsoever.
    Like @xHoneyxBeex said, the rules encourage users to report a post or a user whenever they're being disrepectful. Reporting is a good tool to let the admin team know when somebody has posted something that is inappropriate.

• Probably because gag is more likely to remove offensive posts that are directed to users specifically. Or his post wasn't reported while yours was. Try reporting his post and see what happens.
    If you read the guide lines, it clearly says that your comment gets taken down if you call someone an idiot. Be careful next time, lol.
    http://i.imgur.com/2XDsVle.png?1

• I feel like... It depends on who actually sees the post. Different admins/mods are sensitive to different things. I'm more surprised that question stayed up than anything else.

• That Is just stupid... why would they send you the message. They should remove that guy's opinion

• I dunno if it's sexist or just completely ridiculous... but this morning I got a message saying my comment on a question was removed because it was "antagonistic" when I was answering a girl's question who was like "He chose an ugly fatty over me, WTF, Is he retarded? I'm super gorgeous and skinny and guys say she's curvy but she's just fat" with "He probably didn't choose you because you're a stuck up bitch. Him choosing her has nothing to do with you. Chill".

• Personal insults are removed. Your insults are addressed to someone directly. This is why it got removed.

• Admins take them down in entirety, mods only hide them if they see them and obviously they can't see everything so report it so the admins can take it down directly

After mods hide them, admins decide if its to be deleted from the site completely

• that makes me sick.

• Not in general are they sexist... but that's just messed up. Contact admin

• in that case yes totally

• because your comment was flagged but not the question itself...

• Not necessary. When a comment is flagged, the question and the original opinion are also monitored first and then they check the comment to have a right idea regarding the intentions of the poster.

• I don't think so.