Should we upgrade minimum character limit for opinions from 10 to 40?

I guess 40 is a more logical # than 10….. so we could avoid answers like “dump him/her…” in long-description questions where asker dedicates his time & soul to ask this question…

So in this case a person who’s willin to post “dump him/her….” Then he/she’d have to put a little bit more thought to answer this question so he/she’d reach 40 characters.

Ok I know there r questions who need less than 40 characters sure…but still u can reach ‘em…. like if someone asks “wot did u have for lunch today?”…. and instead of answerin just “spaghetti.” Then u can answer…. “I had spaghetti for today. It was really awesome!”…so u could reach 40 characters ;)

How bout it?

• agree
  • disagree
how about addin a "recaptcha box" then?
i mean this one wid #s and letters u know... and this box would disappear after someone posts more than 40 characters. there u go.

this will make "human-bots" here (i mean those who post short answers without readin descriptions) avoid answerin such questions ;)
whoa only 1 agrees? :(

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the asker should be able to edit the minimum character limit. For example- if it's a simple question like "What's your favorite color?" You won't want long exotic answers on why they love the color orange. But there are other questions where the asker might want more insight. So I think both yes and no?

What Girls Said 8

• There are many questions that do not require long answers such as - Can you rate me from 1 - 10? or Would you ever wear socks with sandals? Yes or no answers are fine for those type of questions.

• that's y i suggested recaptcha.

but wot should we do about those who post short-answers in LD questions?

• Maybe they can say that you have to average 40 characters in their answers - or limit how many short answers they are allowed to give but they should not force all answers to be long.

• "or limit how many short answers they are allowed to give"<--- that's a very good idea actually!

• You do realize people will just continue to do as they do now and write "filler" a thousand times over to fill up the extra characters? Or use random things, as I do when I post a picture but don't have anything else to say. I'll just write " //////// " until I've got the proper amount.

• we could use filler just once.
      then "/////....//" would count as just a single "/" same wid "...",",,,,,", etc

there u go :p

• GaG upped the character limit to 10 because many people before would answer simply "yes" or "no."

But if it went up to 40, i would just see a lot of this:
    filerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    or
    ////////////////////////////////////////////

some non-yes/no question do only need around 10 characters

• copied from anothr comment here:

"how about addin a "recaptcha box" then?

this will make "human-bots" here (i mean those who post short answers without readin descriptions) avoid answerin such questions ;) "

• No, because then people who already add "filler" to the end of their responses will just do the same until they reach the required amount of characters instead of providing a more thoughtful answer.

• then wot if only one "filler" is allowed? ;)

• If there was some way to eliminate the word "filler" I would be very pleased.

• I think ten is too much sometimes questions don't. Require much other times yes it does but I wouldn't like that.

• I disagree. I hate it when gag says my opinion is too short.

• how much shorter than 10? o_O

• fuck no, lol. Because some questions don't need that many. They should lower the thing to 5.

• That or give the asker the choice of picking the cap.

• "That or give the asker the choice of picking the cap."<--- yeah this is better

• Why stop at 40. lol hahahaha

What Guys Said 15

• I can see it from both sides - The big fear someone has phrase "Yeah" or "I agree" in their clipboard and paste it in 2,000 questions (2,000 pts for a couple of hours) - I think there maybe a spam block on repetive answers but on the other side "What is favourite colour?"
    Red (3) - No
    I choose Red (12) - No
    Red is my favourite colour (22) - No
    Red is my favourite colour by far (27) - No
    Red is my favourite colour by the way (35) - No (Oh Gawd)
    I feel in my heart that red is my favourite colour (41) - Yes ( Thank f*** )

• yeah u got a point about such questions...

but see update... that's y i suggested recaptcha box...

• I find with these kind of counter moves that within days they will find a way around it pretty quick - Maybe just live with the fact they were always be a percentage who will do this and that it is low enough as not to interfere with the running of the site.

• that's sad though... i say it's sad coz those comments never get removed by mods :(

• " if someone asks “wot did u have for lunch today?”…. and instead of answerin just “spaghetti.” Then u can answer…. “I had spaghetti for today. It was really awesome!”…so u could reach 40 characters" The person asking wanted to know what you had for lunch, not if you enjoyed it, not how much you paid for it, not why you chose it, etc. It is kind of dumb to require more of an answer that the asker is looking for.

If I want to know what people's favorite colors are, I would want answers like "red" (which is not even long enough now) not "red at the wavelength of 627 nm", which by the way would still be too short.

Sorry bud, but this idea is a not starter.

• does @lemonlimetime 's idea sounds better then?

• yeah but if they wanna get Xper just answer some question like "wot did u have for breakfst/lunch/dinner"... not some question like this:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1612462-is-he-trying-to-patch-me-up-with-my-ex-or-does-he-likes-me

(^thankfully nobody answered here yet... phew)

or this:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1613840-he-likes-me-i-like-him-why-isn-t-he-doing-anything

(^here it happened :( )

• Actually, most of us could easily go over 40 characters answering what did you have for dinner. (Fried rices, chicken chow mien, and Asian noodles.) But the point is that if you impose a minimum number, it would apply to all questions, not just a few.

• nooooooooooooooooooo way man.

see I had to lengthen that shit out just to meet the 40 mark lol.

• so wot we should do in order to avoid responses like "dump him","he likes u", etc

• it is difficult to implement a system to encourage a person to type more when they never wanted to in the first place.

• Filler filler filler filler...

• Some questions here are so stupid that they don't deserve long answers. I mean, if you can't ban the retarded crap, at the very least you can either ignore it or make it shut up with just the minimum of 10 letters.

• those questions go deleted anyway so u don't need to answer to 'em i guess...

• "no... this won't make u a slut. and nobody has da right to call u one.
      tbh i'm surprised how did u manage to have sex wid 50 different guys in just 2 weeks... but anyway if it was consensual it's fine... no worries :)"

(200+ characters)

^that's how i respond in such questions

• ... ok, have it your way.

• I disgree!
    Imagine I ask your shoe size or first name... how are you donna make 40 characters of this?
    You would see "fiiiiiiiiiiiillllllleeeeeeeeeerrrrrr" everywhere haha :D

• how about addin a "recaptcha box" then?

• actually i'd rather see "filllllllleerrrrrrrrsssss" everywhere than a "dump him" in a LD question :) ;)

• I usually read over the "dump him"... I got used to it so my selective vision filters it out :D

• Oh Christ no.

• It wouldn't make any difference aside from the fact that instead of writing "filler" once or twice, theyd write it 20 times.

• i doubt human-bots would bother write "filler" 20 times ;)

• 40characterfillerfillerfillerfillerfillerfillerfiller

That's what you'd wind up with if you upped the minimum. There should be NO minimum. There are tons of yes/no questions on this site.

• even worse! if this happened then those people who do this... would post "yes/no" in every question... and there's NO "yes/no" question here... every question has a proper answer ;)

• Uhhh... Not sure why gag decided to cut my last comment in half, it was well under the 1000 character limit.

• those question have DESCRIPTIONS i guess...

• I think ten is already more than enough. Some questions don't need long answers. The good members will sort out how long the answer should be.

• that would work against you klatuu :P

• dat was a kick in my balls actually... u should "stalk" me more often i guess, just in order to see i'm not some moron who posts <40 character comments in serious questions

• I get you some questions require a binary answer at most not the OP fault

• only questions like "boobs vs butts"

• Noooooooo!

• They should let people comment in as few characters as possible. Lots of times its hard to answer a question in more than 9 characters

• really? even if it's a "wot did u have for lunch today?" question u can reach 40 characters... look:

"i ate cold spaghetti wid mayo and i drank a sprite wid it"

50+ characters... see? :p

• "yes u look pretty nice. i'd give u 8/10 :) "

^40-42... see? ;p

• But i dont feel like being personal...

• I think we shouldn't have a limit, so people can just answer with a simple "yes" or "no"

• and let human-bots clutter all those questions eh?

• F:):) k No.