Why all the hate of bitter people?

Bitter, in my opinion, is when a someone has been given the short end of the stick somehow and is upset about it. Here there seems to be a bit of an "well, sucks to be you" attittude towards these people. Others are downright hostile. As someone who is sort of half and half between bitter and not bitter I get where these people are coming from. Why do bitter people get so much hate? The way I see it, they need constructive critisism and advice. Personally, I don't see a point behind outright attacking people who just need a good honest kick. I understand when bitter people start putting others down, but when they simply point out the obvious and immediately get verbally assulted, my heart goes out to them.

• I see where you're coming from.
  • Bitter person sympathizer, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!
  • I'm indifferent.
  • Unsure/answers.
What i'm saying is that most of these bitter people don't do anything wrong and are still pushed around. And isn't that what GaG is all about, getting help and honest advice?

Most Helpful Girl

• The bitterness that is being referred to comes from the people who are outright rude, insulting, hateful people who absolutely refuse to see reason. They don't want to hear what you have to say unless it coincides with the way they think/feel. For instance, one posted his take in which he proceeded to put down every person he was referring to. Then, when people disagreed with hos point of view, instead of pursuing in a debate of the minds, he verbally attacked and insulted the opinion poster. When some tried to reason with him, he got more aggressive and hostile. This is a bitter and hateful person.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree. Bitter people can take their frustrations out on people which is bad because people aren't guilty of anything, but the anger on its own is justified. When you wind up in a difficult position it's rough and I don't blame anyone for getting frustrated. They are often very aggressive when they try to speak about it, because it's usually when they're having a particularly bad day that they decide to voice their troubles.

Getting shitty with them in turn helps no one. Not getting what they want created their bitterness, yet we demand they stop being bitter they can get want they want. That reinforces their negative attitudes about people. Instead, I'd like to melt their bitterness with kindness, sympathy, empathy and affection.

What Girls Said 7

• It depends. I personally believe that the short end of the stick is not as common as people think. I believe if you are constantly working on yourself and towards something that some good can come out of most things. However circumstances will strike and shit will happen so I understand that you can get upset or a bit bitter about it. The issue I take up with this is there are chronically bitter people who take no blame for their shortcomings (which we cause a lot of our own shortcomings, such as with dating without realizing it) and then, like you said, verbally attack other people. I also don't like when I am trying to encourage a bitter person and they basically reject it and tell me that my help is worthless. At that point I have no sympathy for you.

I also hate the "My life just sucks and I can't do anything about it no matter what it'll never ever get better!" mentality. And I hate VERY FEW things.

• There are a few things wrong with your description in my opinion.
    1. Bitter people often haven't had it worse than other people. They're just holding on to the bad things that happen and play the so-called victim role and refuse to take advice or get helped.
    2. Bitter people actually often do bad things to other people. They're overgeneralizing a group of people with they had bad experiences with or insulting other people because they could never really understand "how they actually feel" and how their lives are so less fortunate than others.
    3. Bitter people are often totally close-minded to anything other people have to say if it's not in-line with what they think.
    Do I feel sorry for bitter people: sometimes yes. It's unfortunate they think that way, but I have honestly no clue how to handle it since giving advice or telling something else doesn't work. Maybe you can't help them, because they don't want to be helped.

• Everyone gets the short-end of the stick over at least something at some point in their life. That's not the problem.

The problem is a bitter person's attitude toward the situation. Not too many people are attracted to negativity unless they're bitter & negative themselves. You claim that bitter people aren't doing anything wrong... while they have the right to feel the way feel, not too many people want to hear someone complaining & playing victim 24/7.

Bitter people often have deeper issues that they hold on to, so it's really hard to give them constructive criticism anyway. Most people (including myself) get frustrated with bitter people because they never seem to get the point we're trying to get across. That leads to the fact that no one can help them... they can only help themselves.

• The problem I have with the bitter people I've encountered on here is that they're insulting and generalize based off of their own experiences. They seem to blame everyone for whatever injustice (s) they feel have been perpetrated against them, and get angry when I point these things out to them.

• No, see, bitterness is usually when something bad happens, and the 'victim' clings to it, refusing to ever get over it. They often have the opportunity to better their situation, but instead focus on the bad things, bringing down everyone around them. They expect everyone to sympathise, and tell them that everything will be ok, while simultaneously rejecting any and all advice given.

Bottom line, being upset over a bad situation, and being bitter and holding onto your anger, are two very different things.

• im gonna cry... someone finally gets it

but the thing is, you are probably THE only one here with that mentality... and many people here are hurt/bitter.. so yea :(
    thank you though for the hope boost though

• Being hurt and bitter are two separate things. Bitter involves anger and hostility towards one or more people.

• which is coming out of them being defensive because they are hurt/scared...

• i dont really care.

What Guys Said 5

• I've noticed this too. I don't really condone bitter people taking out their anger by insulting others but I can look past it and understand that there are reasons for them being that way aND that even botter people need help. In fact they might even need more help than non-bitter people. Also you're right (especially on gag), don't care about helping them. They'd rather just insult them or use some condescending remark which only makes the person more bitter.

• The thing is that some people call someone bitter when they state the truth cause they can't handle the truth.
    I think someone's bitter when they're constantly complaining about something and bringing it up all the time.

• It depends what they are bitter about to be honest truthfully we are all bitter about something.

• Ok im bitter cause i can't get a girlfriend i can't be so repulsive that no girl will ever date me but it is the case and my mind refuses to process that

• I see where you're coming from but sometimes when bad shit happens you've gotta suck it up and move on, or at least pretend to. I'm bitter but I keep it hidden, when I see people ranting I just think it's funny.. I can empathize because I see myself in them but a rant online is like a fail, it's amusing.