G@G should allow us to choose what age group we want to hear our answers from... who's with me here?

this isn't a complaint, this is more of an idea.

i mean recently we were granted with the option to choose which sex we want to exclusively get our answers from. this had to be a triumph for all of us as i'm pretty sure that in the last five years on this site i wasn't the only member who felt annoyed when asking a question aiming towards females and male members would answer, likewise when asked a question aiming at males and still getting answers from female members. so this to me made this site go from being worth 1,000$ to 10,000$ (just a random estimate).

anyways getting to the point i think we should also have the option to choose what age group we want to get our answers from. i thought abou this because in the past i've asked few mature oriented questions hoping to get answers from the older and experienced members just to end up in deception after receiving answers from the teen members. you know a perfect example of this would be like asking a question like...

"what is the best age to be a parent?"

obviously i pretty positive that anyone who ask a question like this would not want to have underage members answering this. but that is just one example and i can write a whole book on this when it comes to more example, which obviously that is not what i'm here for.

but anyways, who else is with me?

• we should choose the age group we want to hear our answers from
  • this is a horrifying idea!
thank you for your time and answers everyone! really appreciate it.

and for those of you that took this personal and got offended by it i would like to say sorry. but then again this was just an idea that i had, i wasn't trying to target anybody

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's a great idea. Sometimes the teens here can provide decent answers, but realistically, they don't have the life experience to be able to provide valuable advice on more mature topics. I thinkthink the example you gave is kind of weak, though.

Personally, I find it a bit annoying sometimes sifting through a bunch of answers from teens on subject matter they just can't understand.

• they could still be watching other people live through things, and give a good 3rd person pov. since it didn't happen to them, I would expect their answers to be more honest...

Most Helpful Guy

• Hi, I am sort of with you here, it is a vexed question in some respects. Let me tell you where I am coming from. I happen to be a Teacher, a lively 58 years of age, I have bought up 5 Children, and they are all on the upward path in their chosen professions. I like this forum because it gives me a better insight as to the thinking of people who, in many cases, are of the age-group I lecture to. I do not respond to so many questions but, when I do see someone confused or distressed, I will give them my opinion even if that is perhaps not what they really wanted to hear. Just basic honesty and experience. I take your point here but is there not a danger that someone who is dazed and confused may seek advice from an age group that is equally dazed and confused? Just a thought. Perhaps a "Preferred Audience" would be better, but keep the question in the whole domain? Cheers.

• So you are basically giving advice here. Still in the teacher role :). I feel like i am a parent here and a therapist... I just want my age group to answer my questions... can it be open for the younger generation to read? As for giving advice I don't mind doing that...

What Girls Said 34

• i think it would just create more division. i like being able to just hear from everyone.

• I feel like this could result in questions like "Hey girls *heavy breathing* what do you think of *gross perverted act*?" marked at only -18 users.

• That's scary

• There's only so long before you see so much perversion that you have to take a serious break. Right now it can kind of be "LOL the things I find" but as soon as it turns into finding a lot of gross things in a row it's really disheartening.

• Bwhahahahaaaaaaa, Belle stop giving me ideas lmao!!!

• It could be a good idea Since a lot of them give short answers to gain points. And some say useless things to trolll.

• Unbeknownst to some, ageism exists here and against younger users, as well as some older. I feel this idea would only reinforce the ageism, leaving young and older users out of touch with the community and feeling outcast. Younger people can have just as much insight into things as an older person. They have the right to an opinion just like anyone else and older people here do too.

A young person should be able to get involved in a question about politics (a great educational opportunity) the same as an older person should be able to get involved in a question about cartoons (a nostalgic experience). We can all benefit each other in ways we don't recognise yet.

• No. Putting more and more restrictions on your questions will not be fruitful at all in the long run, since statistically you will get even less answers. It would lower site activity. Even excluding one gender is idiotic in my opinion. If you only want answers from one gender, simply focus on the answers you get from that gender and pay no attention to the other gender, if that's so important to you. The answers are even divided up into male and female answers already, which makes it even more easy to ignore the answers you get.

Likewise with age, if you don't want opinions from a certain age group, simply ignore the ones you get from that age group? And honestly this would only tempt younger users to simply create new profiles with a fake age.

Plus, this implies that people of certain ages or genders can't give useful advice, which is bullshit. Anyone can have an interesting or wise piece of advice, regardless if they're female and 40 or male and 15, and vice versa.

Like I said, if you're so hellbent on excluding certain ages or a specific gender, simply ignore them. Nobody is forcing you to read their opinions anyway.

• Truly horrible idea! I will most likely leave gag when that happens.

• Best age to be a parent? Late 20's or early 30's. Don't agree? Let's discuss. Please don't be ageist and discriminate against the youth—or the elderly, or any age group. It's extremely hurtful to assume we can't have opinions on certain things. This feature shouldn't exist, at least not to keep teens out of questions.

If you don't like the advice a 15-years-old gave about your divorce, don't take it. You have no right to exclude us from this site. We should'nt have to prove ourselves. How is it any different from not letting women answer on a question about cars?

• I just want to say, if you want to take my voice away and disrespect me like this, fine. I'll just save all my long answers and myTakes & delete my account.

• @Opinion Owner. Don't take the asker seriously. Pay him no mind and don't let him get to you. I hope you don't delete your account over some immature, selfish dude. You're better than that and can rise above it.

• @Realfire22 Thank you! 😊

I won't delete my account over him. What I said was if this feature actually happened and we weren't allowed to answer questions anymore, then I'd delete my account. There would be nothing left to do

• I get what you mean but if a teenager was asking about teenager angsty type stuff - they might mistakenly assume anyone over the age of 20 was too old to understand them (as teenagers do) forgetting that we were once teenagers and were in a better position to answer their questions with our experiences.

It would deprive people of good answers if it was limited too much. I dont know why people only want answers from one gender - it is nice to get both perspectives. Same with age sometimes young people are very mature and wise. Seen very immature answers from a 27 year old on here!

• I actually disagree. I don't think there should be any options to rule out anyone. That's not how forums are intended to work.

• lol i wonder how people would react if you say something like this on reddit. not that i'm saying they are better.

but oh well i guess it is pretty hard to explain the motives behind this

• I understand where you're coming from because I know a lot of teenagers are immature and make the most pointless opinions. However, you get that with all ages. Sometimes, I'm more mature than a 30 year old and other times younger people have been more mature than me.
    Personally I feel it's an advantage by having younger people on here. The majority of older people have very strict views and beliefs, but because we're still learning I feel like we find it much easier to see the other side of things.
    But anyway, the main point is that although we may be young we're not stupid. We're well educated and teenagers have surprised me with how much they know and how well they understand topics. We're not blind, we're living in the same world as you and although we may not be paying bills and so on, we still experience the good times and the bad times through life..

• I think the problem with being able to exclude a certain gender or a certain age group from answering your questions (besides the fact most questions don't get that many answers to begin with), is that questions are seen as "MY question so I can decide" when in reality we all should be able to learn with other people's questions as well.
    That is to say, maybe you aren't particularly interested in some group's opinion, yet someone who actually identified themselves with you or your question might have taken the opportunity to get a wider range of opinions but they can't and are then 'forced' to ask the same question a second time.

It feels like this site already has countless questions which are identical and that a bigger effort could be taken in order to screen, try and (re) group or even merge similar questions so that we would see a higher quality of opinions rather than quantity.

• Quite honestly the way i see it, wisedom knows no age group. A lot of times adults don't have the answer I'm looking for... but the young teens do. You can't automatically assume the young teens don't know much of anything. Some are very mature for their age, while there are some kids trapped in adult bodies.
    Remember: Age is just a number. Experience is given to everyone. Wisedom knows no age group.

• no i hate this idea. people would just end up discriminating against the older members of gag (who are outnumbered) even though they often have a lot to bring to a discussion

• It should be an option... I feel maybe teens might feel lectured from and older person like myself... or, might seem like I am the mother in the room... Do I know best? maybe... maybe not...

• either way, i just don't think it's a big deal. if you don't like someone's advice, don't take it. no need to exclude them from the discussion @katley

• Yes. understood. good luck getting my advice... that's me excluding...

I'm glad this question was challenge by a 28 year old... I'm not alone.

• I think this is a great idea... I feel funny getting advice from tweny year olds and teens... If I needed that I just go ask my twenty year old and nineteen year old "daughters"...

• But they are related to you, their advice might be biased :o

• Then what are you doing on here, seeing as Gag's biggest demographic is indeed teens and twenty year olds? If you feel funny then that's your problem, don't restrict other users just to fit your own needs.

• @Lights off: I wasn't being disrespectful. But you, don't get it... you learn from the wise and from the older generation...

That comment is why I would rather deal with people my own age...

I don't need you... Do u understand that...

I have already voted on how I feel about this... and I know what age group hangs out here..

Good luck getting my advice.

• Mm... I'm neutral when it comes to this. On the one hand I understand where your coming from. There're some questions where people don't want to hear from the younger ones. But on the other hand as a younger one myself I feel like people would use that power to completely disclude us from GAG, or maybe even disclude older members from GAG. I suppose I'm just a little paranoid that the minority age group will get discluded in a lot of questions. I guess if GAG did that I wouldn't really mind, but I'm not exactly going to promote it a lot.

• I am not with you. I believe there is beauty in hearing perspectives from all ages and walks of life. Not ever under 18 is immature, not every 20 year old is inexperienced and not every 45 year old is wise. I am a 15 year old girl and on this site a woman asked for help about her marriage and custody of kids and I GOT the most helpful opinion, because my perspective was mature. So mature in fact, that people questioned if I was even 15. For that reason I believe your question shows a complete disregard for the fact that not every young person talks rubbish. Some of the best advice I heard was from a 9 year old. Again, I know some teenagers are silly and generally speaking older people are more mature, but I think it would benefit you if those rather insulting stereotypes you have of younger people were somewhat softened.

• I think you would be selling yourself short and possibly missing out on some good advice, you never know what some people have been through just because they are a certain age. I'm not opposed to the idea, do whatever you want but it's not something i'm personally interested in.

• I can't agree more 😈

• the underage ones would be able to tell you what it was like growing up with an older or younger parent... wouldn't that be a really useful thing to know, if you wanted to see how your kid would feel? they probably know plenty of older people, and can give a 3rd person perspective on what happened and what everything felt like. wouldn't a less biased opinion be better? they're not parents, so they don't feel guilty, and they won't hide how things really were.

• There are question that are already lacking answers, i think splitting the ages up would make it even harder for people to get questions answered, but i do see where you are coming from :)

• You can always just ignore the answers that come from us under 18's if that is your problem

• I agtee 100%

• I actually don't really care who answers, as long the answer is really answering my question:)

• I don't agree.

• Just ignore the youngsters

• Unnecessary, I think its most helpful to get opinions from people of all genders.

• Like they did with the genders?
    Sure, why not?

• Exactly, this is a great idea!

• I voted A when I meant to vote B.

I welcome all opinions

• Yes personally I don't usually want any answers from under 18 and 45+ age groups and I don't want to see their questions either so an option to filter them would be nice.

• More from Girls
    4

What Guys Said 30

• This site is girls ask guys NOT *some* girls ask *some* guys. You have the tools on your end to filter out anyone you don't want to see answers from. The rest of us would like a productive discussion that includes ALL voices regardless of gender and regardless of age.

• I think this is a horrendous idea, and the sex restriction for questions and takes was also a terrible idea. I've said that before, I still think that was a terrible idea.

Why? Because for sex-based filtering, all you have to do is not read the answers of the other sex (you're still sexist though).

As for age-based restrictions, I think the same thing, it would just make the site less navigable; I COULD vouch for a FILTER of the opinions like how you could filter the questions on the feed; you could be filtering the opinions on your question, based on age (ironic that the age filter was removed from the feed search, isn't it?).

But restricting the input from users was a terrible idea from the start, and it's a terrible idea to continue.

• I do not agree with this. It is all about getting good answers for you questions and I have had good answers from every age group on here. I have had some answers from teens that have made me think, I am impressed and that is a very mature answer for his/her age. Many teens come here to get advice about a situation they maybe too embarrassed to talk to their mum or dad about but want an older persons advice and I think they should be aloud to do that. Doing what you say would stop them being able to do that.

• Terrible idea, and would be an awful business decision.

The teen group is the main consumer base of GaG, which is quite obvious to see based on the changes made in the past 2 years.

The teens will be the group most shut-out due to age discrimination, if what u said was allowed.

• dont you think the opposite could occur too?

• Yes it could... but not as common as teen users getting shunned. It's a trend these days with older GaG users.

• Well of course it is, simply because half the time it is useless jargon or something inappropriate.

• It's a good idea, on paper.

But in reality, it won't grant more answers
    But rather leave possible great ideas out.

I'm already not a fan of the
    gender specific questions for
    the same reasons, but oh well. ^.^

• true, but then again we still have the option to choose whether we want this restrictions or not. so in other word its not really a restriction

• Some people seem to like ostracism, forming tiny groups, excluding others. in my opinion that's a kind of sociopathy. The inability to interact with different people in society is one of the aspects of autism.

• What if there are some young people who really do understand your problems and may have some helpful advices?

Although that's a minority, having NONE answer your questions will not be of any detriment what so ever. So what? you get an immature answer, you as a more experienced/older person should be discerning to their answers, it's not like you'll follow what they say.

Rather go with the route with a possibility than the route without because even if the young ones answer your questions, the world isn't going to end.

Never forget that YOU were also once a child, eager to learn and eager to speak.

• Even if their advise is bad, being a part of the conversation can help them learn. Learning is really the whole point of this site.

• I don't think it's horrifying, but I said no. You can filter it by ignoring it, or quickly scanning to see what's worth reading in more detail. Not sure if I agree that it can be with gender either.

One probably with this kind of thing is where does it end? As soon as you do one thing, then people are going to want some other filter. And it just goes on and one.

Forums and Q&A sites are just like real life. You have to filter everything you hear, learn who knows that they are talking about, learn to recognize red flags, etc. That's just an ongoing part of everyday life.

• I think it is a bad idea, because it would only be effective if people were truthful about their ages. But we all know there are PLENTY of 12 year olds pretending to be ages 25-35, and plenty of old folks creeping around as 21 year olds

• I dont really like this idea (obvious answer from under 18) for the reason that we like to answer questions (yes genuinely too) and we dont like being excluded. Some youngsters are excluded from older people in real life too and we think of GAG like a place to feel they belong somewhere they can talk without restrain.
    If this option comes up Im pretty confident that a lot of people will put a wall on us. Of course most of us dont know what age is good suited for someone to become a parent but you never know. There are maany people here with a pretty mature opinion on this. Peace out!

• Nice way to hear the things you want to hear, instead of getting a balances view of things.

• not really. even if i do have the ability to choose the age group i want to get my answers from i'm pretty sure it won't guarantee that i'm gonna get only what i want to hear. i'm pretty sure that people will disagree no matter what

• Terrible idea. I can't answer 1/3 of the questions now thay they allow you to choose gender, if they allow you to choose age we would have less questions to answer.
    Plus, sometimes you get better answers from those you least expect.

• That's not so... if there's only one age group here (more of) then why do feel you will be left out... I'm 46 and already feel, I'm getting advice from my children... Lol.

• That's a horrible idea.
    Restricting questions to a specific gender was a step backwards.
    Even if you don't care what a girl or an under-18 year old thinks, there will be other users reading the question who would be interested to hear their opinion. The last thing we need is even more duplicate questions, where different people post the same question, wanting to hear only from a different specific group of people.
    Just ignore the responses from people whose opinions don't interest you.
    If you are really not capable of that, then:
    A.) You're a retard,
    B.) I guess GAG could add the option to filter which responses are visible to you, and hide those you don't want to see - but it shouldn't be necessary.

• Sometimes you can get surprised with answers of different age groups.

• All that would do is have more people leave from g@g, some of the coolest people I have seen (on g@g) have left and the sex restriction separated and made g@g less interesting. Having a age filter would split up the community even more and would be an awful choice for g@g itself, I think most people would agree with me. If this ever happened, I would kinda be thinking of shutting down my account and leaving simply put, even though I had and have fun reading all of your comments on g@g. ;)

• I don't think you should. If this happened, literally everyone would ban under 18 users, on every question, and there would be no point in them being on this site.

And i for one, trust the answer of an under 18 user just as much as one from a 40 years + user, because i don't believe age necessarily effects the validity of a person's answers.

• great opinions "can" come from anyone.

• Young people have a fresh perspective, older people have wisdom and experience. Why limit your options? If you don't like an answer, ignore it. I think most people here have a desire to honestly help, this division male/female old/young it doesn't really help. It just limits perspective.

• Absolutely not...

• I think I understand it wholly, some people just don't want to listen to the younger groups and that is completely fine. However I do not do that.

• I think this would be best when it comes to questions regarding sex or anything within that category as we don't need kids viewing it or posting opinions on it especially these like 15 and under children I keep seeing commenting on this stuff.

• This is a bad idea because I know many "teens" who are more mature hand "adults" and vice versa. I think what I enjoy most about this site is the amount of perspectives you get for answered. Advice is free remember, you don't have to take it. It's just an opinion.

• You CAN choose. You do it by reading the age of the opinion giver, then skip or read as needed.

• Sorry, i dont think so.
    I mean, i am young but mature for my age and i do apologize for all the immature young people but thats how it is...
    If not it would be unfair towards the other more intelligent population of the younger members.

• I totally agree, I'm very mature for my age. A lot of people forget my age when conversating with me. Like we're supposed to be a community meaning many other types of people and ages. If it was supposed to be only adults then they would've created women ask men. But since they didn't dude get over it.

• i never said you guys should not be knowing these things, i think all of you are misinterpreting my point. all i said was that sometimes when i want to ask a mature specific question i always like to have the older members answer because its something that pertains to their area of experience.

like casual sex for example. if i want to ask a question about casual sex i really would like to hear answers from the older and more mature folks, since most teens can't even tell the difference between casual sex and serious relationships

• In your case yes, i agree, but then other people will start posting questions for certain age groups and start discriminating, thats what i mean.
      It would cause unnecessary problems

• I want to hear from everyone, if you don't like the age group of the people here go somewhere else

• nahh fam nahhhh fam

• I don't think it'd be a good idea. I'm younger but that doesn't mean I can't offer my opinion. This would just make people more close-minded.

• It'd create a huge division. which is something this community doesn't need.

• no. if a 15 year old has a good view on seomthing, i don't see why it matters.

• Gag should add hair color selection too: I don't want answers from gingers.

• That's a stupid idea cuz this should be about community not cliques. And it's easy enough to ignore answers you don't like anyways.