Why do people choose to write under 'Anonymous'?

I am writing this question for my friend 'Anonymous', who would like a chance at a honest MHO. So why do people choose to write under Anonymous? Is it because they want to fly under the radar? Wish to remain unknown? Or are they able to express themselves more openly?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• Kind of all of the above. And you don't have to worry about reputation management. People get an image of you, then start expecting things of you, and it hampers free expression.

What Guys Said 3

• Usually for controversial stuff people write under anonymous because they don't want to be attacked for having opposing views on things. Sometimes people can say one thing and another person will twist it to make the first person look bad. Other times people don't want to be known for just one view quality or opinion.

Some people may respond anonymously because that day they're feeling very negative about how they're viewing a certain topic on a certain day and may write under anonymous just to separate themselves from that.

Sometimes people write questions they're embarrassed about and sometimes people reveal a lot about themselves and their lives so they write anonymous to avoid telling everyone everything about themselves (and sometimes they're paranoid that maybe someone in their personal real life might figure out who they are possibly from screen name and situation).

I usually use anonymous options because I'm more of a private guy. I tend to keep to myself a lot and try to fly under the radar.

• People write anonymously so they can't be identied. Either they're embarrassed about their comment/opinion or they don't want to be attacked for it.

• I don't see why you would not want to. I'm not looking for a following, I'm trying to answer people's questions.

What Girls Said 2

• All are good reasons. The last one might be true for most anonymous posters though.

• It helps me become more open. Like I can feel free to say what I want w/o too much judgement because no one will know who I am.