Why do people choose to write under 'Anonymous'?

I am writing this question for my friend 'Anonymous', who would like a chance at a honest MHO. So why do people choose to write under Anonymous? Is it because they want to fly under the radar? Wish to remain unknown? Or are they able to express themselves more openly?

Most Helpful Guy

• Kind of all of the above. And you don't have to worry about reputation management. People get an image of you, then start expecting things of you, and it hampers free expression.

What Guys Said 2

• People write anonymously so they can't be identied. Either they're embarrassed about their comment/opinion or they don't want to be attacked for it.

• I don't see why you would not want to. I'm not looking for a following, I'm trying to answer people's questions.

What Girls Said 2

• All are good reasons. The last one might be true for most anonymous posters though.

• It helps me become more open. Like I can feel free to say what I want w/o too much judgement because no one will know who I am.