What is your opinion on people who abuse the anonymous feature by using it to insult, condescend, and be antagonistic without being held accountable?

This post was inspired by a question where I answered a question truthfully. Rather than focusing on the specific post, direct topic, and what I said, the anonymous male user resorted to attempted condescending, belittling insults and further tried to smear my character on another person's post. Personally, I find this behavior to be cowardly and weak. If you have an issue with someone or a problem to address, there's no reason why you can't be that bold without hiding behind GAG's anonymous feature. What do you think? Have you encoutered this? If so, what happened in your situation?

http://www.girlsaskguys.com/social-relationships/q1655938-why-did-the-marchers-at-ferguson-put-their-hands-in-the-air

Most Helpful Guy

• The anon question is a perplexing one for me - On the plus side I think that the anon function is good for people who wish to open up without revealing who they are, on the negative side what happened to you.
    When things like this happen I have to weigh up the positive and negative of it - In this situation I think the positive effects of anon still outweigh the negative. The internet unfortunately will never be perfect.

• The unique anon function is awesome! Most of the time at least lol It's actually really intriguing and fascinating to see just how much of themselves people will reveal and share with a HEALTHY, PRODUCTIVE, GENUINE MOTIVE. It's like being a fly on the wall to someone's personal experience lol

• yup. the internet will be perfect the day hell freezes over... then melts...

Most Helpful Girl

• It's anonymous, no one knows who they are, so they can reveal their true *stupid* self.

What Guys Said 4

• I really believe the facility for being anon should be limited to very personal information that should not be linked to a username. Things to do with intimate sexual matters.

Personally, I've only used it a very few times for that reason. I just don't like to hide, and often await a huge backlash for some of my opinions.

• They misuse it and it gives other users a bad name, who might feel too embarrassed to openly a question. Because of people like this, users are less likely to get a response when they are anonymous

• I feel like a lot of people love to show that side when they can get away with things, but why they go anoymous when they are already hiding behind a screen

• They're funny. I like when they get mad and block me. :D

What Girls Said 1

• I think they are internet trolls and a new study claims that trolls are actually psychopaths. So I am not surprised at all.