Why do some GAG users expect to remain invited, included, and unblocked after being entirely disrespectful, unproductive, and toxic?

I have noticed a common trend on GAG where some users seem to expect that they can be completely unproductive on a post, have no useful, helpful presence, spread bad vibes, and generally be intellectually toxic yet still have the chance to remain invited and included into one's space. Can you explain this to me? Is it entitelment? Are they used to people putting up with their ish? I'm trying to figure out why some people seem to believe they have a right to be heard, embraced, and acknowledged if they are going to leave a primarily negative impact.

Now don't get me wrong; we all have bad days where we may act out of character. We all sometimes get so passionate about a particular topic that we defend that topic like it's our baby lol! However, there's a definitive difference between those who seek to come to a productive, enriching concluusion vs those who have no other end goal besides angrily releasing their toxins. What do you think of these people and how do you respond to them?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have wondered about this as well. I have no problem blocking people that come across as racist, sexist, or feel the need to attack me with personal insults. People always freak out about it. Some people even even help those people harass me by quoting the person that I blocked.

The only conclusion I can gather, is that toxic people enjoy being toxic, and even enjoy seeing other people being toxic to those of us that don't want to put up with their nonsense.

• Interesting theory.
      I view the blocking feature as a filter system. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• You're right. There are a lot of disrespectful people on GaG, and some people just spread nonsense and hate. :/ I don't really understand that. But, I have noticed that rude people are handled much better on here than say... YouTube or Yahoo Answers.

When I come into contact with an individual like that, I just ignore them and don't give them the attention they crave. That way, they know that I don't put up with it.

• That is a very mature, reasonable, wise way of handling the situation. Kudos to you!

What Guys Said 6

• I think it's because many people don't entirely understand when they've done something harmful. A lot of people have a "if that was said to me I wouldn't freak out about it" mentality. So when they get blocked it's a shock. In all honesty they probably don't care about commenting but to think that they don't even get the chance at all is kinda off putting. The person who blocked can mostly recall the reasons they blocked someone. The person who got blocked can recall all of their posts and probably sees those bad posts as speckles in a long list filled with neutral or good posts. As a result the blocker feels justified and the blocked feels unfairly judged. Think of a kid in elementary school that has a squeaky clean record but one day says something sexually explicit in the middle of the class not knowing that what they said would be misunderstood. Something like the "Internet is for porn". To him it's a funny song he found on YouTube to his peers that have never heard the song he's a porn addicted pervert. For the rest of the year his peers judge him solely on that comment and he becomes that porn kid. Some even forget why they started avoiding him but still do it. Now because you don't know you're blocked on GAG you can be blocked years ago for some opinion you don't even agree with anymore that'll sneak up and bite you out of nowhere. Or worse you've never even met this person that's blocked you but they noticed a time that you discussed something with someone else and they decided because of this they never want to hear your opinions. Now imagine if you go on a rant and say something completely insane but realize right after it was horrible and everyone who sees it bans you. Now you randomly get blocked often but you only find out after you've spent time writing a response. It's a weird thing really. I've given a lot of great advice but I'm always truthful and at times my truthfulness is wrong and sometimes it's right but abrasive. I've rubbed quite a few people the wrong way and had long arguments that could've easily led to a ban. So imagine if I wrote all of this and hit the submit button and found out you had banned me. How upset would I be?

• Possibly it is the nature of the internet - I think people become something they are not in real life - The interesting thing for me which is closer to their true personality the real life persona or the internet persona.

• You mispelled "conclusion".

Okay sorry.. had to. ^.~

There's a saying on the internet, that you can say that grass is green
    and someone will argue with you to the end of the world, that no..
    grass is not green, it's purple.

Best we can do, is to either ignore people who refuse logic
    or block them out, that they can't reply anymore.

It's unfortunately just how it is.

But by all means, if someone is harrassing you
    please do report them.

• Lol I can spell conclusion after a couple of decades. I'm a fast typist and seeing as GAG isn't some essay or important official report that actually matters to an extent, I don't care to spellcheck.

• I am being harassed. It's not a laughing matter.

• Guess my advice fell on deaf ears.

• lmao! This was actually inspired by a post that was not mine. Your advice is very appreciated ;)

• I am unproductive / unhelpful I admit :/

• This is the internet, unfortunately. Where GaG differs is that it allows people to be anonymous. This is meant to allow sensitive questions to be asked but instead it's just abused for trolling and harassment.

What Girls Said 1

• Welcome to the internet...

• The only toxic rudeness I will put up with comes from family and friends and even then I have my limits lol what about you?

• Online if someone is rude ill ignore them. if theyre being rude about something completely stupid, ill probably mess with them back because its annoying lol. Not the best strategy but its funny to see them react to what theyre doing to everyone else.
      In person, if someone is rude ill give them time to cool down and talk about it but yes i have limits as well.