Why are people so obsessed with outing catfishes?

Especially on this website. This community is supposed to be about relationships and giving and receiving advice. Who does it actually hurt if someone uses a fake picture? Shouldn't affect the quality of their advice.

Please discuss.

Most Helpful Guy

• I forget her / his name. But one of the biggest catfish on this site was also one of the most genuinely helpful people at GaG. She went way beyond the call of duty spending time helping people. She was intelligent and could think. Just because she was posing as someone else didn't change that.

I almost always disagreed with her on political and social issues, but I respected her for what she did.

Most Helpful Girl

• Listen everyone I have something important to say! The asker is not actually Angelina Jolie! What a catfish!

What Guys Said 23

• If someone puts up a fraudulent picture asking to be rated, that's not cool.

Nobody likes a phony.

• i2.cdn.turner.com/.../...fish-0225-exlarge-169.jpg

All I care about is catching THIS catfish

• If they say dirty stuff and what not while using a fake pic other people will think that that is actually them and who knows one day someone could see that person in real life and think that that was actually them on the internet when it was someone else using their pic as a fake pic.

• Yes , the fact that Bill Clinton lied about Monica being a cocksucker also has nothing to do with how his dishonesty as the president of the United States of America makes him a morally bankrupt character unfit to lead.

Wait , what are we talking about again?

Oh yeah.

Honesty and moral integrity as the prerequisite.

• I was actually thinking about this earlier on - There was a question about naming catfishes and I reflected about the stories I heard. I remember hearing about a catfish who fooled a lot of people who took their story seriously - Obviously we don't want that or people trying to romantic with people but the escapist catfishes what harm are they doing an hour or two of being told they are gorgeous in "How Do I Look" to the ones who create false personas who do exotic jobs. In reality it is just us playing a supporting role in a Walter Mitty type fantasy.

• The obvious reason I could think of is that a lot of questions on this site ask for one gender's opinion. If a guy is looking for comments from genuine women, it would suck if some of those comments were actually men, and it would suck more if you wound up taking their advice.

Additionally, people who catfish take on an alternate persona to seem convincing. That means that even if you were asking both genders and the gender itself didn't matter, you have someone giving you advice that isn't actually true. Its just them acting to further their disguise. Don't know about you, but I like to see honest and true-to-self answers.

• I agree with you , as long as someone doesn't catfish a person
    and hurt them by leading them on i really don't care but i usually
    use my 6th sense and stay away from ones who seem to be fake
    ones who ask questions that are highly sexual in nature or seem
    to be off the wall i stay away from them questions or pictures that
    are suppose to be a female and appears to look like a males using
    the account i stay away from them cause usually post / questions
    are off the wall my 6th sense is usually right ,

• Why does it bother you so?

• And getting advice from a man pretending to be a woman is hurtful?

• I know the questions i want answer and the ones to stay clear of
      i got my tracks covered for anyone wanting to Catfish me
      case closed now i move on :Peace Out

• Unless they are 40 year old pedophiles posing as a 14 year old girl msging young boys and sick shit like that.

encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images

Yeup those catfish exist too.

• I mean, I think we see that less on this particular website. But I do agree that type of catfishing is EXTREMELY problematic.

• From what I could see recently, most people that are bothered by catfishes are those who use GaG as a dating site. Because they say they are misleaded by people who claim to be who they aren't.

For the original purpose of the website, though, I don't think catfishes are a big deal. Some of them could actually give pretty good advices. Personally, I couldn't care less if someone is a catfish.

• If someone is actively attempting to pretend to be someone else.. that's a very basic communicative aspect that's being lied about.
    You post a question that you really need help with, a person comments and the advice is sound.. they speak of past experiences which they used and how it aided them... then finding out that person isn't who they claim.. and said advice and experience could all be construed in a sad Web, tarnishes all they have said.

I honestly pity people like them.

• Well there was the" sandplanet scandal" and that made people paronoid.

Sometimes they present themselves in a certain way to gain the trust of other people to get nudes.
    It's been proven that we are often more likely to trust people with attractive faces.

Also there could be a thrill that people get when they successfully out a catfish.

• I have to think it is unimportant. I have friends on here and I don't really care what they look like. Obviously if you have a pretty face you will be sought after but I doubt it is all that important to "out" people because they are going against the flow.

• not sure that with a picture it would change anything. I thought its seeing if the age matches the age showed using the picture. But pictures can be anyone from anywhere, who would know.
    I think some people might be trying outing them because their answers are consistently so extreme and bad ( but how does one judge what is bad advice ) but the person doing the outing , is using his/her comprehension of what is extreme and destructive, so there starts the hunt to out them.

• Because they don't like being lied to. And I don't blame them. I don't like being lied, either.

• I don't see the problem myself. There's a name for fake pictures.. They're called "avatars". and if you don't want someone to see your face ( which isn't really a good idea on the internet anyway, ) then you shouldn't get flack for it.

• How you gonna be yourself when you're hiding behind somebody else. It doesn't make sense to be fake it's almost like identity theft.

• I've not seen anyone who really cares.

• People post questions about "how to spot a catfish" all the bloody time. It's tiresome.

• Most of them are real easy to spot... like the teenage girls who wear diapers!

• Because people don't like to be lied to.

• In the context of this website, why does it matter?

• Bro, an online persona isn't "living a life based on lies".

• You're just not getting it... a lie is a lie. You are still portraying someone you are not to fool another person. I doesn't matter if it is online or not. Just because we are behind a computer screen doesn't make us any less human.

• Yas this site is about relationship. How about U + Me? 😘

• Catfishing goes way beyond posting pictures. These people are basically liars. What is the point of a site like this if people aren't truthful?

• it makes them seem les genuine and there advice of less value as they are liars

• i think they get jealous that the catfish is getting so much attention so that's why they out them lol

• I agree with you bull + vampire... bullpire

What Girls Said 19

• Because 80% of this website are people just bored and passing time, and it entertains them to stir the pot.

• I've always thought it was creepy that people cared that much but then I outed one by mistake. I told her the model was pretty in her profile picture and she said "lol what model" and I said the models name and she deactivated her account lol. I had seen the model on instagram before and knew who she was but I thought she was using her because she liked her. I didn't think she actually was pretending to be her, who would believe she looked like a 25 year old model when she had age 15-16 on her profile, I didn't take it seriously.

The only time it bothers me is when they post in the "how do I look" category, then I will say something like "that's not you", only because it's insulting to think people are dumb enough to think that's you when the person's photo is easily 25+ and your profile says 16 years old. And I think it's just rude to post people's photos all over the internet on top of that.

If they're just using someone elses photo on their profile, I don't think much of it or even care, i'm not invested in them and never will be, so who cares. It feels like the people who care a lot are looking for more with some of these people.

• From what I have heard, catfishing is about someone pretending to be someone else online to get a date. I can certainly see why that would be so negative.

Being anonymous on here, well people do that for many reasons. I still don't get why there is such negativity. Sometimes people go anon because they simply don't want people messaging them or flagging them if they don't agree.

But I don't know why anyone would want to pretend in dating. It's much better to be honest than to play with someone's emotions only to have to disappear because you can't possibly meet the person and admit you were lying.

• My picture is sideshow bob. I don't think this impacts the quality of my advice... Although it might give you all a clue as to the quality of advice you are going to get :P

• I'm not sure. I cannot speak for the GAG community, but in my most humble opinion I do not see the reason to seek out a potential catfish unless they were trying to develop an honest relationship with me (and I mean as far as platonic). People who use a fake identity have the real potential of harming you, and maybe even those around you. They could use multiple accounts and attack you in one account while defending you in another account. Could be added on your friend's account, and follow you through them. Or use the questions you've asked on this website to harm you, especially if they know who you really are (having some sort of visual access to your facebook, etc.)

While I don't really mind catfishes, the only extend I would have in communication with one is just them or myself giving advice to each other, and leaving it like that. I couldn't trust a person who doesn't even use their real identity to develop any kind of relationship; because they are obviously hiding SOMETHING about themselves.

• If the person is using he picture of somebody else, it is hurting the person whom the picture belongs to. It violates their privacy and assigns opinions to a person who may not share the same views. If you don't want to use your own picture, you can use an avatar picture or a picture that isn't at all related. Stealing the picture of someone else comes across as a cheap means of fooling others into thinking you're something you're not. It's pointless and blatantly weird.

• What if it's a stock photo?

• Nor do I, which is why I don't understand why it makes people so angry.

• Honestly I think it's just because it's the internet. People over estimate their importance and are constantly looking to exert their own internal issues on a platform where there is little to no repercussion.

• If they use it for how do you look pictures and when they are bothering people for nudes, it rightly deserved

• I like bad photoshop fails as much as the next girl, but it just seems silly to me.

• I understand where you're coming from but I think that people are far too trusting these days. I'm guilty of it too. Knowing that someone more than likely isn't who they say they are makes me more unlikely to share real personal information.

• Yeah :/ and yeah they are. Since its the internet there's always a certain level of anonymity that makes people feel trusting. But its given too quickly sometimes

• I did this recently. The reason why is because I made a platonic friend but as we were getting to know each other better I felt something was off. I asked him for a simple picture and he made so many excuses, I even asked him straight out, are you a catfish? He was surprised but said no. A day later he sends me a picture, it's a different guy. It bothered me because I felt like I was actually using my energy on having a conversation with this person and it made me upset knowing that it wasn't who I was made to believe it was. He ended up being a creepy old man, I know because he admitted the truth later. I'm not mean but I'd rather know who you are rather than be tricked into a conversation with you by you pretending to be my age. That's just pathetic and creepy and I don't care what anybody says, catfishing is wrong. And for others that are naive or unsuspecting, they should know what to watch out for. Not everyone notices the signs.

• Because by default you're a liar. Why would anyone trust the advice of someone when the first experience you have with them is based on a lie?

• I think its cause many people see a person's social value or time investment value as based on how physically attractive they are and feel cheated or drained when they spend their time and resources on somebody who is not what they think.

• Some users on here end up getting emotionally invested with the user just by looking at the picture. Some people on here just see a user's picture and in their head maybe they feel entitled to that person even if they never met the person, or when the person never showed interest in the first place and the user is just desperate.

Also, sometimes you have some users who Lead users on and they get heart broken even though they never met the user in person

• It hurts they person they lied to. It is a big deal. It's dishonest and real feelings are involved

• Because they got catfished before and don't want it to happen again.

• Because they often ask rate me questions and you go and act t like a dummy and rate some Scandinavian supermodels. Also if they lie about their pics chances are everything they sayis a lieso you're wasting your time answering fake problems.

• because it just shows that a person is untrustworthy/okay with lying

• because they're upset that they've become infatuated with is a fat ugly slob of the opposite sex

• Maybe because they feel deceived.

• Catfish? Me no comprendy.

• It's hurts the person they are lying to..

• And why is making a fake profile to give advice hurtful to the person asking for advice?

• Because you're lying to that person and leading them astray.. just be honest. What's so hard about that?

• So pretending to be a woman giving other women advice about education or literally anything is "leading them astray"? Or does it depend?