Why do opinion owners thank the asker for MHO award? Shouldn't it be the other way?

In GaG, the asker is the one 'seeking help', and he should be thankful to the opinion owner for giving him the most helpful opinion.

But why is it opposite, that the opinion owners are thanking the askers for MHO award?

Shouldn't
Shouldn't the asker thank them first?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because they gave the opinion owner 10 extra Xper for voting, and their vote adds to their MHO percentage.

I've seen many times where the Opinion Owner will thank and the Asker also thanks for the advice. I think also by awarding the MH it's the Asker's way of thanking them.

• "You got Most Helpful Award +5"

So I think it's only +5, not +10.

• I think they tanked on many things for Xper in the last year. When I joined in May 2014 I remember more Xper given. I guess too many people were hitting Guru/Master too quickly and then using that as a goal to stop logging in?

I'm finding many users are newish, in the last year or two, and users who have been around since the site began are almost all gone. I think it's a way to make people log in for a longer period of time to make the achievement of getting Xper harder. Also, they recently upped the gift card redemption from 5K to 7K -- again making the goal a bit tougher to achieve. :)

• Wow awarded MH from The Cat himself! I don't know whether to thank you or not now. :/ LOL
      (I'll thank you anyway LOL)

Most Helpful Guy

• There are so many reasons :-
    #1. Good manners
    #2. Showing appreciation to the Asker
    #3. If he/she chose me, it means he/she is really a wise gentleman/lady who doesn't choose dumb answers / validation / friends so, it's my responsibility to behave like one with the right etiquette too.
    #4. They selected us, it means they already shown their appreciation and we should thank them for the time and effort they took.
    #5. It won't lose us anything but might earn a lot.
    Last but not least,
    #6. "The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say 'thank you'. In between the two, the leader must become a servant and a debtor." Be a leader 8)

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1325274-should-i-say-thank-you

• From the bottom of my heart, I must say, thank you so much for your kind & gracious gesture of choosing this as MH. I am glad that it helped. This cachet & accolade is well taken and wholly appreciated.

What Girls Said 6

• because MHO owner gets 5 points.. and asker gets only 1.. haha..

• From Help:
      When you select Most Helpful Opinion for each gender for your Question +1 (+2 for selecting a MHO from both genders)

• Oh I know, sorry I meant this is what the Asker receives. They get an extra Xper now for each gender.

• That's fine.. 😊🌹🌹 @Ozanne

• You are so smart, Grumpy.
    And I thank them to show appreciation. :p

• I think this is not something worth thinking about. Does it really matter?

• 10 free points

• because now they've received additional Xper with the chance of their MHO percentage going up

• I'm wondering the same thing. I don't understand. It's kind of annoying.

What Guys Said 8

• The Asker has already expressed his/her appreciation to the opinion owner by selecting that opinion as the MHO. The opinion owner is thanking the Asker for actually giving consideration to the opinions and finding the merit in the opinion owner's opinion. I have often seen MHO awarded to someone based on their popularity, or on some dumb whim (even the Asker admits it), so I always show my appreciation to an Asker for taking the time to truly consider what I wrote and designate it the MHO.

• Because they appreciate the fact that OP considers their opinion among all the others to be the most worthy?

That or they are exp hunters who are glad they gained some more. [don't look at me]

• Because the Asker has decided that your opinion was the fairest opinion in the land, which is totally an honor.

Sometimes I go with "Thanks for MHO" and sometimes I say "Glad you found that helpful!".

• I think you are correct - The correct comment should be "You are welcome for MHO"

• I don't really know. I just say thank you since for one it doesn't take much to say thanks. The other reason is because they could just pick someone else but they like my opinion the most.

• Haha next time you get MHO put in the opinion comment "you're welcome..."

• I'm going to keep doing it to make you grumpier

• I do it as an act of showing my gratitude😄
    Kindness for kindness👌