Why does the site show asker upvoted but not asker downvoted?

why exactly is it so important to know that the asker upvoted our opinion, but not so much when they downvot it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because if the Asker upvotes, the Opinion Owner gets 1 Xper point. Nothing changes if the Asker downvotes.

What Girls Said 1

• When users ask questions on here, they are typically looking for advice or insight into their personal situations or to understand the opposite gender better. This is the core purpose of GirlsAskGuys. Letting a user know the QA up voted their opinion shows that the QA either liked/agreed with their opinion or found it helpful. The opinion owner is also awarded +1 xper point. This change was made in an effort to encourage and award quality content on the site :)

What Guys Said 5

• 1. The same thought crossed my mind when I first saw the names on the upvotes
    2. Then I inferred that if downvotes are shown then it may start a spat that is not productive
    3. While showing names in upvotes encourages the answerer and builds a better relationship with other GAGers :)

• do they now show the names for all the users that upvoted an opinion?

• i thought so lol

• :-D I jumped the gun lol

• slashfiction.org/.../gif-happy-dance.gif

So you can do your happy dance of course!

Because upvoting is positive. Positive reinforcement might keep some people from leaving I suppose.

• you still see downvotes you strange little man. it just doesn't specfiically tell you if it was the asker who downvoted you. it doesn't hide downvoted from you period

• probably for the same reason there is a 'like' button on facebook, but not a 'dislike' button. It allows people to disapprove anonymously. That way they don't have to have some drawn out argument with someone. They can still have the argument if they want, but indicating who down-votes is basically a beacon saying "hey! argue with me, please!"

• It is a move to make site increase quality and more positive, a move I endorse.

• are you friends with the chief of police of jacksonville?

• I'd like to know that too. I think it'll be cool if they show if the asker downvoted.