Why do so many GAGers have to be lazy readers and can't take the time to answer a users question?

Yesterday, I answered a question titled " Why do some many GAGers have to write a book when asking questions? " When I reread it this morning, I realized it was asked 3 months ago. Even so, I still decided to counter that question with my own question.

So, as the title say's why do so many GAGers have to be lazy readers and not answer a persons question? I mean, one would assume if you're on here you obviously have time to spare so why not use that time helping someone who needs it? I don't get it.

Also, why take the time to answer persons question only to tell them "It was too long, I didn't read that"? What is the point in telling someone that? Like why even bother?

I'm just curious.

Most Helpful Guy

• "So, as the title say's why do so many GAGers have to be lazy readers and not answer a persons question?"

^i wanna hi-5 u... :)

indeed i feel so disappointed by those people... especially when someone gives a short answer on a LD question... i tend to toss a downvote if i notice it... especially to one user who does it on purpose anonymously ( ;) )... i never forget to give her her downvote... ;p

sometimes i've noticed even this stupid comment "i'm bored to read this"... eh ok then beat it if u r bored... and answer some lightweight question wid no-description at all if u r too bored to read those long ones.. ;)

"I mean, one would assume if you're on here you obviously have time to spare so why not use that time helping someone who needs it? I don't get it."

^hahahh that's wot i do basically... since i've got lots of free-time i use to go through "no-opinions" section (best questions r located there) and go answer 'em... i always read 'em fully and i use a particular pattern when i do to make it easy for da asker to read my opinion... i respond on each paragraph or sentence sometimes separately.. ;)

"Also, why take the time to answer persons question only to tell them "It was too long, I didn't read that"? What is the point in telling someone that? Like why even bother?"

^wot else? for Xper of course... but now dat those 2 bonuses ( "+1" from postin first from yer gender and "+1" from postin within 15 mins after question was asked) were abolished... hope this thing will happen less often.. ;)

www.smiley-lol.com/.../napoleon1.gif

Most Helpful Girl

• Well, it's no secret that a lot of people are here for their X-per points. The faster they can get it, the better for them.

Longer questions with much more detail, and thought included. Takes much more time to answer.
    The length of time they spend answering that (1) question... they could have answered over 10 simple questions such as, "What is your favorite color?", "Where are you from?" , "What is your sign?", "What's your favorite holiday?" etc.

There are a few decent users (such as myself) who answer lengthy questions as much as they would answer the shorter ones.

What Guys Said 12

• Because they have no idea how to write! I see many people on here in their 20's or above that write worse that any high schooler should. Possibly 2000 characters (or more) without a break in paragraphs. No separation of sentences. Words left out or spelled so incorrectly their meaning is impossible to figure. Thoughts rambling all over the place.

I have tried rereading some of them two or three times, and still have either no idea what they are talking about, or only a small bit of what they mean. If the writers would read their own material before hitting the "send it" button, they should see how not understandable their question is.

And two other mistakes are not including enough info to be able to properly answer, or including too much so that the reader looses sight of the topic.

Not answering a question is often due to being unable to make sense of the question, not being lazy. But it does seem that the question asker has been very lazy in what is written.

Why answer to tell the asker why you were not able to read their question? So that they can see why people are not able to answer them.

• Because some people seem to think that important questions about life can be summarized in three sentences.

Q: My boyfriend looked at me weird
    lots of explanatory text

A: Dump him, he's an asshole!

It's only someone's life after all. No need to read anything before jumping to conclusions. They don't want to read about it. They don't want to think about it. They don't want to explain why they answer the way they did. They just want to type a quick sentence, hit send, then move on.

• I agree with what you said.

• "A: Dump him, he's an asshole!"

^i'd take this as da opinion owner was takin a dump on my question if i posted a long-description and he/she gave me this answer... ;p

• I actually mostly have trouble with questions like this one.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1670983-a-guy-told-me-he-likes-me-a-lot-but-after-he-ignores-me

It just starts, ends, no paragraphs, and is just overall very confusing. The further you read, the more you lose track...

Of course, you're free to tell me that I'm just reading it wrong or something. I might be.

• So, do questions like that upset people because it's just one be long thing (even though there's commas and periods) or is it because the details are mish mashed together and there's no clear cut understanding of the situation at hand?

• Then they're just lazy, but I am not one of those most of the time, it depends on the subject and whether it interests me.

I tend to not answer the questions that are like the one I linked, they are pretty common and they're pretty incomprehensible.

• That really annoys me when it is so obvious they haven't read the question detail only the question heading. I am no fan of long question but I would never do as you pointed out "I didn't read it all but here is my answer"
    To your first point must be attention span or something but if the question goes too long I nearly always phase out. Especially if it is a big long story that could have been summarised into a couple of lines.

• It's all about formatting, and being as concise as possible.

If I open a question and I get a 15 line block of text with no paragraphs, I'm not reading that shit.

----

It is common sense. If someone wants others to read what they write, they have to cater to THE AUDIENCE, and make their typed out details well formatted (paragraphs breaks, punctuation, spacebars when needed, etc), or else very few people will read.

• I never read lenghty explenations because usually here questions are the same"how do I look"" am i fat" " " penis big enough" do guys like girls who do..." I typically naswer questions with serious issues for example someone who feels depressed, people trying to save their marriages and people wiyth STD questions or health questions. Little kids asking about rape and sex because they are ashamed to ask their parents

• i didn't even read this. I am on here to socialize and help when I can, but if your question is gonna make me miss other questions, then hell no!

• then u can simply skip this question and answer others... :)

• But it caught my eye lol

I don't complain about questions lengths usually I just skip over it

• Cause today i dont feel like doin anything woo wooo hoo i just wanna lay in my bed😊

• I do have time but I don't have the patience to read a full fledged novel.

• ain't nobody got time for dat :I

• people answer as they please..

• Usually when people write a lot in the question it takes a long time and what they are saying is a bunch of extra bull that doesn't matter.

What Girls Said 7

• When I go the TL:DR route...

It is usually because the write up is so riddled with grammar and spelling mistakes, I start having trouble following the plot and making sense of it...

The other situations where I TL:DR is when it is an obvious repost.. or when they start repeating themselves.

• "The other situations where I TL:DR is when it is an obvious repost.. or when they start repeating themselves."

^u can report 'em as duplicate... no?

• really? i've reported some as "duplicate" but later i notice they r still there... :/

• That's why I stopped.

If it isn't really a duplicate anymore, why kill my success stats?

• I think some just read the question and answer that. It seems they just want that XPer point. Others take the time to read and give a pretty decent response.

I've never understood why some just comment tl;dr as their response... unless that's all the have to contribute... which is nothing actually. Maybe it can help some that write huge blocks of text to use paragraphs instead next time.

• I read them, but don't really answer because I don't know how to help them. I'm still young and unexperienced in a lot of areas of life...
    If the question is interesting and got me thinking I will refresh it for like 5 minutes to see the answers. If it's that awesome, I will even save it to see it later with more opinions.

• I think way too many people are just on here for Xper points, I never understood that hype, so they just wanna answer as many questions as possibly and that's often more convenient and faster if they don't waste time on the longer questions..

• I'm too lazy to read this.

• Lol only joking, depends on what they're doing. I'll read long ones if I have the time and I'm noy tired or whatever.

• Haha, I figured. I like your sense of humor.

• sometimes less is more. And if more details are needed then ask.

• I think they are point gaming. This one girl answered a girl's question and when I asked her why did she say that she said its because she only read the question not the details