Is this the biggest mistake from GAG?

I see the order of opinions is now defaulting to MHO order. This means that the asker will probably just read the first one or two answers and ignore the rest. Which will mean that the vast majority of GAGers are totally wasting their time in replying!! This site is going to kill itself!!

What do other GAGers think? Is it GAG's biggest mistake?

It's still biased towards the opposite gender, too, but I think even more so. I was quite content just to read the reply from @BellePepper.

Most Helpful Girl

• It feels really clique-y and is feels like yet another status badge. I feel like it's better if our advice stands on its own and speaks for itself.

So I don't know that it's the BIGGEST mistake, but I do feel like it takes from the integrity of the site.

• I know what you mean dogbert444. It's like an effort to read through all the comments.

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree - I am not sure about these sorts - In fairness if I am interested in a question I will read all replies - I am worried about MHOs people will tend give MHO to people near the top with already high ratings meaning people lower down will never rise.

What Girls Said 7

• I don't really think that many people will do that when choosing MHO. I mean myself when selecting MHO's I don't select the first or second answer I happen to see. I read through everything and then decide. I'm sure only really lazy people will skip that part. But yeah in all honesty it's a bit weird and I'm not sure what the reason behind it is.

• I'm seeing a new freaking update everyday now.

i hateee that one. it's so pointless.

• I am not a fan of that update.

I have always tried to not look at GaGers' MHO percentage while reading opinions.

• I think the biggest mistake was doing away with the age filter

• Yeah no, we certainly don't need to promote agism. So I think that's a good thing.

Younger people can and have given good advice.

And no, I am not mad. I am turning 18 in 3.5 months, so I'll be in a relatively safe spot as far as that goes very soon (and most people aren't too harsh about agism here).

• That's just me. I got a preference

• I don't like it.

But anyways, I follow people for a reason, I want them at the top so I don't have to scroll through.

• I haven't even noticed that until your question! Does that mean the opinions of people you follow doesn't show up at the top anymore and follow that mho order too? o_O
    I noticed you can at least switch the order to xper level or time.

• Umm, I haven't noticed

What Guys Said 6

• Well, it's really up to the asker to select the MHO, doesn't mean that other people wasting their time, and I am sure no asker would just like ignore the opinions posted by other members, I don't think an asker would do that, sure an asker will be curious to know all the opinions, selecting an MHO can be an asker's choice, but I think the asker will read and not ignore after reading just one or two.

• Well, it promotes the opinions of people
    who may be more prone to good advice.

Like.. the QA looks at his/her question
    and the first comments from people with
    a higher percentage..

After that, he/she can choose to look
    at the rest of the opinions.

I agree that it does promote certain people
    but it also demotes trolls/people who's here
    for harmful reasons.

• Good is just very relative. It puts people that have higher mh percentages on top. I believe what makes a person have a high mh % is much more complicated than whether the advice is good.

• @cavmanier

I would like for that to be the case as well
      perhaps we could plead to the Admins
      to make that a setting, or something. ^.^

• We can recommended it :D Maybe they're watching from mount admin

• It is a huge change, but one thing it underscores is that many people with high MHO ratios did not get them by giving lots of good advice.

For this reason among others it probably would be better to have answers in chronological order.

• I really dislike this feature. I liked having people I follow on the top of the screen.

• Yes, I hate that change that opinions are ranked in order of MHO. I personally like it ranked in order of time.

• I don't like updates generally speaking.