Does anyone else think that it's really stupid that comments can be blocked on opinions here on GAG?

Sometimes I spend a lot of time writing a response to an opinion only to find that the opinion has been blocked from further comments. I like debating and getting to the bottom of things, but that function puts a complete stop to that. I understand if a user wants to personally block another user, that's fine. But should the whole topic be gagged just because someone didn't like where it was going?

At the very least there should be a notice that the opinion has been blocked, so that people know not to waste their time writing something and only finding out that it's been blocked after hitting the submit button. It should also why the opinion has been blocked, whether it was the opinion owner, reports or admins. So that everyone can see the reason why there is no more debate.

• I think it's bad
  • I think it's fine
  • Results

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 7

• it is a fucking shit.. i hate it...

• Heh, it's pretty funny.

• Yup I agree with you.

• I like your suggestions ^^

• i thought GaG couldn't get more politically correct. guess i was wrong.

• I thought it was impossible to travel back in time to 1942 Germany. Guess I was wrong as well.

• I hate it so much!

• Whoever came up with that silly update deserves to be slapped. Repeatedly.

What Guys Said 3

• I like idea of notice that you are blocked. I actually didn't know you could block a whole opinion - I just thought you blocked people.

• I think it's bad, ultimately it just encourages petty bullshit.

• I always hated that feature ever since it has been added.

• Holy f*ck. This was added? I figured something as bad as that surely would have been there from the beginning. I seriously hope they take another look at it.

• It was added because anonymous askers cannot block people from answering, so they can just block the whole opinion instead. But I really think it is a horrible feature.