Who remembers how we used to function before the mention feature existed?

this might be for the slightly older users. sorry!

LOL how the hell did we talk to each other? did we just comment back and forth on each other's opinions? i seriously dont remember.

newer users: this mention feature is blessed :P dont take it for granted! KEEP TAGGING! :P

guys... not everyone uses the mention feature to gag their favourite gagers... chill lol.
TAG* omg -.-

Most Helpful Guy

• It makes me sad I only joined here like 4 months ago :(
    But I can imagine what it would be without the mention feature, considering that is basically what Yahoo Answers is currently. If someone comments on your opinion there, you have check back on it to respond to them. I answered a lot of questions, but I've never responded to a single comment on there. I wasn't going to go and search through all my opinions for comments lol. It was a pain.

Yahoo answers still hasn't figured out a way to stop the auto bot spammers which is why they don't give comment notifications. (They're afraid of spam notifications.) GAG has been pretty cool since I haven't seen a bot spammer since I arrived, surprisingly enough. Yahoo is filled with 'em.

• naw why does it make u sad? haha

oh rally? yeah it was a bit of a pain but since it was the only way we just did it anyway. they dont give notifications either? lol wow.

• This site is definitely the only one I've found so far. The site is set up good so it is appealing to look at and user friendly too, which is nice. I can't wait until the app! 😱

• yeah! people have been asking for the app for awhile now. maybe theyre working on it!

Most Helpful Girl

• We just left a comment and hoped the other person remembered to check back to see it! Lol Yes, the mention feature is amazing :)

• that's it? we trusted each other that much? LOL wow!

• yeah i was hopeless with it. they'd end up messaging me.
      "u forgot to reply back again anna" lol.

whoops :P

• Lol yes! The struggle was real back then.

What Guys Said 26

• if you comment on my opinion I have to look for yours and comment on it, bouncing the convo back and forth lol.

• Sounds so annoying - Lots of personal messages and tangental conversations on other peoples' opinion threads.

• I think it was mainly a problem when multiple users commented on your opinion, than you couldn't address to one of them.
    Or if you thought @JustbanANNAz was from Australia and may be able to help there was no way to do it :o
    And we didn't even have emoticons to show were were naughly 8) 8) or happy :D :D
    Sjeez a question about the GAG ice age hahahaha :D

• the clever people posted back and forth on each others' opinions, so everyone would be notified of updates to the conversation.

But this was something clever people did, not me. I just periodically checked my comments for updates..

• how come i dont remember seeing you? =/

• I'm very subtle.

Also, I tended to mainly answer sex questions back then - particularly questions about butt sex. Perhaps that is simply something you aren't/weren't interested in discussing?

• lmao! fair enough, yeah that makes sense

• lol cute and good question :D

If the person in question is an answerer then we would post it on their opinion for their attention and they'd reply on our opinion on the same question to get our attention. I've done such conversation the most with you lol

• I like the mention feature before that all i know people talked
    back to one another on Opinions i been here since May 7 2014

• There used to be a messenger feature. It was actually a ton easier then mentions. You could just see all your friends who were online and say hey whats up ______ instead of having to tag them in a comment in a post lol

• are u serious?

wait you'll have to run me through how that worked. was it like a live thing?

• Yeah it was meebo if i remember right, but they got bought out and shut down. If your friends or whatever on here were online you could easily chat like any messenger, oh the good ol days

• oh wow, i hope they bring that back!

• I think I joined about 2-3 weeks before the mentioning/tagging feature was implemented. ;P

• I would comment and then you would have to comment back and so on.

• Yes we just went back and forth from what I remember

• hmmm i don't use it very often really.

• I definitely don't miss the old site. I remember it as if it were yesterday, when people were bitching from the hilltops about how this new version of the site was terrible, and that they were going to close their accounts, and blah blah blah. But yeah, we use to talk to each other in more or less the same way. It's just that you would have to constantly check back on a question if you were having a comment conversation with someone who wasn't the opinion owner

• part of me does, part doesn't.
      lol yeah i remember that. i was one of them, but i wasn't saying id leave lol! i guess we've all just rolled with it and gotten used to it.

do u also remember when the opinions were side by side? what'd u think of that?

• i almost forgot that they use to be side by side, hah. It's hard to say what i think of it now. I've gotten so use to how it is now, my answer will just be biased, hah. i like seeing my opinion at the very top, because usually what i have to say has the most importance/validity in any conversation.

• :) yeah same.
      LOL! shutup :P

• I think there should be less tagging/ass kissing/clique forming on this website tbh. "Tag your favorite GaGer?" type questions are tiresome and sycophantic... tag my candy A$$! :p

• It was horrible, people had to comment on each other's opinions and the train of thought was totally disjointed.

• yeah now i remember losing track of them a lot. people kept reminding me to answer back haha

• I remember no mention feature, we had to make do my commenting on that persons opinion, man I fell old talking about it.

• I would just copy and paste the link of the question. LOL.

• I don't know how we managed to use GaG without the mention feature! :)

• Hmmm I don't remember if this was a thing when I was here or not /: I can't remember.

• hmm... i remember changes happened in January 2014 i think, u might have come towards the very end of the old version?

• Hmmm yeah I think that's right because I joined in 2013 so that sounds about right.

• I never did whatever this is?

• I honestly don't remember, I think you had constantly check to see if someone commented or not.

• I don't even remember it, I came here in July 2013 although i wasn't really active till 2014.

• there would have been less tag your favorite g@gers I guess

• it was different

• i dont use mentions.

• We used meebo.

• I can't remember if I remember that or not XD.

What Girls Said 12

• Back when I was here in 2011, there wasn't so much popularity on gag. Mentioning other users wasn't common. We just communicated by commenting back and forth and by using the chat feature.

• oh i didn't necessarily mean the popularity aspect. i kinda just meant communication in general. but i get u =]

• Oh I didn't know that

I can see it might have been a bit confusing back then.

• And I didn't know u were that "old". Glad to meet one of the originals :)

• oh sure, just over 2 :) i came in June 2013.

haha yeah iv taken breaks but i dont know if ill be leaving anytime soon.

• Ah. I arrived here like 1 year ago. But I wasn't very active for about 6 months more or less

• we had to page them

• I still don't use it. Maybe I should start

• really? you're literally like the GaG goddess haha, everytime i see you i think that.

are u just not used to it or u dont like it?

• GaG goddess! Can I have that next to my name instead of master?

Lol!

• hahaha u should! u totally deserve it!

• we left on comment under their opinion and hoped they responded back.
    before the mention feature, i would see VERY LONG comment threads between two people

now if they made a comment in a question without leaving their own opinion, that would be harder unless the person constantly went back to the question or just sent a PM

this site also used to have a chat function

• yeah i remember that!
      I'm pretty sure one of my questions holds the record for longest thread though :P

haha i always used to get people like "hey u forgot to answer again"

i wasn't around when there was chat. i wish i was :( was there group chats too or just 1 on 1?

• can't say. chat was only around for a few months when i first joined before they took it down :/
      chat was run by meebo, however that worked before google bought it
      now i just noticed how old this question is, lol

• ohh ok.
      i've never heard of meebo in my life lol! that's ok, someone kinda brought it back to life :P

• i think the other users just had to post on the member's opinion to get notified

• I actually still do it the old way. I always forget to tag someone, so I usually have to check back. It's not until after I reply to someone that I remember that I should have tagged them.

• I wasn't around then lol thank god or else I would have never replied/answered anyone.

• haha I remember someone's opinion had 80+ comments between myself and 2 others aye. . l

• lol yeah i've had over 100 i think with a user about fashion. i'm pretty sure we hold the record for most comments on one opinion.

• haha that's awesome

• Some people would update their question and type the user's name.

• Wait. The mention feature wasn't there earlier? Damn :O

• im glad there's tagging!