Should we cancel mention feature so we can change our usernames?

Tbh I’m bored of dis username and I’d like to change it…and I’ve heard reason we cannot change our usernames anymore’s this mention feature since it might be a problem for da source code or sth….

Come to think about it…dis mention feature’s fairly recent (1 year and a few months I think?)…and GAG could function properly widout it for years…so y we have to carry da same username forever and if we wanna change it…we have to cancel our account and start a new one? I don’t think most people here will cancel their accounts in order to change their names…. so y carry da same name forever?

I guess if we cancel mention feature it’ll be fine…. and I’m not talkin about changin yer username 3 times/month…but I believe once/year it’s ok to change…don’t u think so? :|

• let's do it...
  • no...
another thing is that people might abuse the system. so a solution would be to have you pay a small fee for it, like 5-10€, or buy it for XP

^Yumix said this... (yup widout a mention)
i'll go always anon from now on... since GAG won't let us change...

Most Helpful Girl

• The programmers in charge of this site should fix the mention system to be bound to user ID rather than username. It's an easy enough thing to do, most likely.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think that's a bad idea. the tagging feature is really useful and there are not that many people who hate their name that much that they wanna change it.

the problem with changing the name is probably that old tags don't change and cause errors when clicking on them. it should be easy to change the system so that they get redirected to the new name, but it's work and costs money.

• "another thing is that people might abuse the system. so a solution would be to have you pay a small fee for it, like 5-10€, or buy it for XP"

^awesome idea... ;)

• thanks for MHO :)

What Girls Said 9

• I hate it when sites let people change their names. Who is that new person who has an M next to their name? I don't know because the name is new. Is that person posting about feet the usual guy who posts about feet or is it someone new?

It also takes away personal accountability. A lot of GaG's good behavior is based on community pressure. If someone can just change their name after they screw up really bad, what did they learn? What social consequences do they face?

I'll stick with what we have.

• Exactly this^

• I actually really like my name and don't really care for change so I just don't see that happening. Sorry Klaatu :c

• i said hypothetically speakin...

but c'mon now it's unfair... start a new account just foro a username? :|

• Oh god, that is the absolute worst idea ever. Being able to tag people is a MASSIVE part of GAG, I probably wouldn't even wanna be here anymore if they got rid of the feature. It would be like taking an ENORMOUS step back. Part of why GAG is so awesone is the social aspect.

It's just an username. I'm not a huge fan of mine either anymore, but it's not that big of a deal. You chose your username, you gotta live with it. But I don't even think the mention feature is the main reason why they don't let us change it. It's mostly because it would become confusing af. Just so unnecessary.

• again i said once/year... y should i have to start a new account for a username?

• @BertMacklinFBI MissEverywhere 😜

• damn that's the one!

• I agree that it'd be great to be able to change our usernames. However, if that were an available feature I think that would take away one of the key things about GaG that makes it different and so much more enjoyable than the countless other q&a style forums like yahoo answers or reddit.

If you somewhat know who's behind each username, and what to more or less to expect of them in terms of answers they generally give, it lends the site a bit of a community-like feel. You're not asking questions to a bunch of strangers from who knows where, nor are you going to be answering a strangers question. You might talk to a few people on here, or just know enough of them from observations of their actions around the site. If we were able to change our usernames, a lot of that sort of feel would be gone.
    In which case... might as well stick to reddit. :P

• "I agree that it'd be great to be able to change our usernames. However, if that were an available feature I think that would take away one of the key things about GaG that makes it different and so much more enjoyable than the countless other q&a style forums like yahoo answers or reddit."

^i couldn't care less... after all i decided to go anon from now on so i won't suffer my stupid name anymore... so if someone mentions me i won't respond... this feature doesn't xist for me anymore... ;)

"You're not asking questions to a bunch of strangers from who knows where, nor are you going to be answering a strangers question. "

^so wot? sometimes i feel they treat u differently if u post under yer fuckin username... but from now on i'll ask questions anonymously as well... similar questions i use to ask.. not only coz i'm fed up wid my username... but just in order to see how people will respond... and who shows true respect towards an asker and who doesn't...

• okok I guess everyone has different views on this issue. Shame because I personally quite enjoy your questions and opinions, often refreshingly honest but I guess.. whatever floats your boat!

• glad u understand... ;)

• Worst idea ever tbh. Being able to mention/tag people is one of the reasons why I like GAG. Imagine having to go back and forth and commenting on each others opinion just to communicate, that'd be so troublesome and kinda annoying.

I don't like my username either, but I think that GAG did right when they disallowed the feature of changing our username. They chose their username, so they either bear with it or create a new account. Period.

• GAG could fuction for years widout it successfully... so i couldn't care less if we don't have mentions anymore... also anon users cannot mention others but still many go anon...

and MOST online communities allow u to change yer name once at least... so should i have to create a new account just for a username? i'm about to become a s-mod and an editor... isn't it silly to have to start from da scratch instead of just changin it?

• @Athena13 indeed but changin yer name's MORE important... thousands of online communities survive without mention feature...

• Those two things aren't even the same lol!

• To be honest I prefer to tag people and they would tag me over changing the username... It would probably make some issues coz like that at the " tag time " we might not know what's the new user name or something... But still that's my personal opinion 😊

• Yeah sure, why not

• Being as you say all those xper points mean nothing to you the easy way would be to canel your account open a new one with a name of your choosing.

• but as a master i get more auto-selected MHOs...

• So it is still all about the points then?

• nope...

• No. I like the mention feature. It helps people socialize and acknowledge each other. To cancel it simply because you don't like your username anymore... What are we, in kindergarten?

• no worries i decided to go anon from now on... till GAG give us again da ability to change our fuckin usernames just for once at least...

anyway goin anon 100% it's my only solution since i don't wanna start a new account... by goin anon people won't see my stupid name anymore and i'll appear as "anonymous"... guess it's better than my current one... ;)

• i don't think so.. after all i have no real-life friends and i'm happy and proud af about it... ;)

more time to enjoy my music... ;)

• Seriously... You're like an entirely different species

• another bad idea Klaatu - what's happening to you

without mention feature people would be commenting on the others post all the time like they did before. we also wouldn't have all these superlative username games that so many enjoy here

• "another bad idea Klaatu - what's happening to you"

^it's ironic to call me like dat when i say i wanna change my name... isn't it?

"we also wouldn't have all these superlative username games that so many enjoy here"

^and others dislike 'em... so wot? everyone cannot be pleased... but come and think about it... almost every online community allow u to change yer name at least once if u ask for it... but i don't recall many havin dis "mention" feature...

so ya changin yer username's WAY MORE important than mentions...

i'll give u an xample:

since GAG's open to 13 yo users... well u know u won't make da wisest choice when it comes to a username at 13... don't u think so?

once those GAGers turn 16-17... might start regrettin about da name they chose back then... would they have to create a new account and start from da scratch? unfair...

• interesting. they used to let you change it once for free. i guess paying wouldn't be so bad since this site need money to run anyways

• "so do you think GaG should go back to where they let you change your username only once?"

^of course... ;)

"interesting. they used to let you change it once for free. i guess paying wouldn't be so bad since this site need money to run anyways"

^glad u understand... ;)

What Guys Said 8

• It interferes with blocking as well - Say I was hassling a person as KDA20 and got blocked, if I changed username to KDA30 I am free to start hassling again - Plus I like tagging feature - A multi user conversation on a thread would be impossible without tagging.

• didn't know it'll affect blockin... but again u could re-block dis person once it happened... no?

• @Mesonfielde - That sounds reasonable

• Yeah. I'd personally find it hilarious if they did actually use the username as the primary key, though (just started thinking about it). People typically don't do that. If the username IS the "user id", then that'd explain why they don't like changing it very much, haha. Usually it's either auto-increment numeric, or a randomized set of characters (UUID). But, I don't know what GAG did in the background :P

• Like i say, i am willing to have a premium package or pay to change my username
    and still keep the mention feature

• klaatu you can make a new account and start over. you'll be back on top in no time lol

• It's a bad idea but I'd like to change my username. Fk resonance 😑

• To be honest, a user name is just a username... no matter if you're called Klaatu51 or TheButcher... once we're used to the name it doesn't really matter.
    Whereas the mention feature is an asset to GAG so I'd say: leave it like this in the short term :D
    And when there's a chance, find an opportunity to work with an key and a user name... the key will stay the same but the user name is something that can be changed by the admins. In rare cases only since it must not create workload :o

• how about yumix's opinion? (check update)

• Yeah but when you get payments on your bank account, as a company, you need to have a credit control department, or at least there's gonna be additional administrative workload.
      And when it's negligable amounts, it's gonna cost you more in terms of labour than the money you receive.
      For example when you have done 20 user name changes, you need to have an automatic or manual check that there are 20 payments. And what if there are only 18? See what I mean?

• aha... got it...

• A world without Mentions sucked, even if it could technically exist. I don't really want to go back to commenting on the person's opinion to give them a notification.

• and not changinyer username sucks...

but remember wot i said on springocelot's opinion...

"almost every online community allow u to change yer name at least once if u ask for it... but i don't recall many havin dis "mention" feature..."

• ok... another xample:

"since GAG's open to 13 yo users... well u know u won't make da wisest choice when it comes to a username at 13... don't u think so?

once those GAGers turn 16-17... might start regrettin about da name they chose back then... would they have to create a new account and start from da scratch? unfair..."

• Hypothetical. The mention system however is used regularly.

• The mention feature is far too valuable of a feature to eliminate over something as minor as a profile name change.

#BusinessMinded

• Too bad bro.