Why dose GaG not allow questions that involve suicide?

I mean if someone has a question like that shouldn't they leave it up so people can try and help them?
It just doesn't make sense to me...

Most Helpful Guy

• Because many of them suicide are just trolls and some of them are asking on how to kill themselves and what's the best way to do so. In any case gag doesn't want sue in their hand or any promotion regarding suicide just in case it leads to someone's death or something.

Most Helpful Girl

• - Some people might post questions like that just for attention. They need to realize that suicide is not something to joke about

- And those who are genuine, might get made fun of. People encouraging them or trolling them. Or telling them to stop seeking for attention.

- People on gag are not trained professionals to deal with those who have suicidal tendencies, even if they might have some experience in that area

- Gag is supposed to be a somewhat lighthearted site, anything extreme usually gets taken down (too much sexism, racism, all that stuff).

- People with suicidal tendencies should get help from professionals on suicide hotlines or therapists, not random people online

- Gag sends a message with hotlines after the post has been taken down as to highlight that they should get professional help. So it's not that gag doesn't care, this is just not the site for such issues what with all the trolls and the general vibe/look of the site.

- Although it's nice that you want people to help those in need, there's no guarantee that other people will take it as seriously. Like I said trolls are an issue.

- It's just easier to take down all questions concerning committing suicide, planning it or asking how to best do it, etc

- Such questions might be triggering to those who are suffering from depression themselves, or have had traumatic experiences concerning suicide (someone they love might have taken their own life). It would be nice if they could surf gag without having to read such heavy/extreme questions.

What Guys Said 8

• The policy on the site is to remove question and give links to suicide prevention sites. Many reasons why they shouldn't be allowed.
    (1) Glamourises suicide - Attention seekers may flood the site with these questions and genuine cases get lost in avalanche of questions.
    (2) Trolls may encourage suicide
    (3) Gaggers are not trained professionals

• Let me grab the exact excerpt on "Suicidal Tendencies":

""- Suicidal Tendencies
    Posts that glorify suicide, questions asking ways to commit suicide or giving suicide ideas, or opinions that encourage suicide should be hidden with this reason. Example: “What’s the best way to commit suicide”, “Go kill yourself.”""

As far as I know, they're told to visit suicide hotlines instead of asking here, as we are not professionals in the matter, and suicide is a very serious issue.

• It puts on too much responsibility to the commentors. They don't want a commentor to feel guilty if they found out they contributed to someone committing suicide.

• Because those discussions can get out of hand and trolls will use the chance to actually encourage suicide.

• if you ask a question like "what's the best way to kill myself" you shouldn't be surprised that it gets deleted, Lizzie.

• Not questions like that... I mean one of the things you can flag a question for is suicidal tendencies. So if someone says the're thinking of killing them selves, and asks for help. Would that get taken down? And if so why?

• If they're asking that they're thinking about suicide chances are they're not going to do it

• becuz its scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaary

• Gag is a fascist organization.

What Girls Said 7

• People on here aren't professionals... we don't know how to correctly deal with people dealing with a issue as severe as suicide. Some people might make a joke of it while others might encourage it. You get cruel people. It just makes sense to encourage that person to get professional help and not resort to strangers on the web.

• This.

And when it's taken down, the Admins also send them
      to a place where they can get professional help.

• Suicide is a very sensitive topic. When we see questions where someone is asking about suicide, we prefer to remove the question since in some instances, users may encourage or promote suicide. When the question is removed though, the user is sent a 'help' message with information about suicide awareness, the suicide hotline, and how they can get professional help.

• the questions that ask for help are fine if they genuinely need it, but u have idiots on here who just say they wanna kill themselves or start describing graphic shit that is really not beneficial for any of us to read about.

it's all about the intentions and how the question is delivered that decides whether or not it's appropriate.

• Because if it's a real threat people can be assholes and that is not what a genuinely suicidal person needs. Best to be safe. I agree with the policy, although I don't agree with GaG removing one of my comments and then recommending the suicide help line to me!

• Because it can be triggering to people who might have similar thoughts or went through a past suicide attempt.

• And generally it's usually when people talk about suicide that they don't really wanna do it - just a cry for help and attention

• When I was at the process of joining gag. I skimmed through the terms and policies of this site. Gag doesn't allow extreme questions. Things like that need professional help.

• I think the reporting as suicide category is a broad category because you have people that will encourage others to kill themselves