Why are some profiles private?

Communities are social, so why join just to hide your profile? If I follow someone is their profile no longer private?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's their own prerogative to have a private profile if they want to. For me, I don't put anything on my public profile that could easily identify me to an unknown onlooker. The people with private profiles probably put more personal information there.
    With that said, for people that they accept, what separates those individuals from the creeps that they are trying to resist? How can they know from a simple dialogue what the person wants?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some people feel they are less of a target to creepers and stalkers by making their profile private. You have to allow someone to follow you before they get access to your private profile.

What Girls Said 2

• They have to accept your follow request before you can see their profile but sometimes they hide it from followers. I don't know why they do it either.

• Because some people don't want others to look through their profile.
    They don't want to be stalked.

What Guys Said 5

• Not everybody is you. Some people want more privacy and wouldn't join this site unless they could go anonymous.

• There's lots of creepy basement dwellers on gag, the Internet

• Because some people are creeps.

• Because we don't weirdos or freaks talking to us or looking our our information.

• Then don't fill out the extra information, just username/age/gender nothing anyone will use for stalking.

• Ok mabye that's why I don't get it.

• Trust me as time goes on you'll see all the odd, sick and disturbed people here.

• Some people like the features that come with setting a profile to private.