When did GAG relationships become a thing?

I just noticed a 'couple' going back and forth on a comment thread yesterday and now I keep seeing couples everywhere. Like when you see something, all of a sudden you see it everywhere. When did this whole trend start?

Not saying I am for or against it, I just thought it was funny and interesting.

I noticed this from people openly referring to themselves as a GAG couples, flirting and such. Or asking 'Who will be my GAG boyfriend/girlfriend'. I won't name any names though- it was just something I noticed all of a sudden and though it was a thing.

Most Helpful Girl

• it's been going on here for a while now, especially since the mention feature got put in place. the back and forth can be fun to read. sometimes really annoying. but i don't think these people have anything real beyond what you see on the comment thread.

Most Helpful Guy

• How do you know they're a couple?

• They openly refer to themselves as 'GAG dating' or something. If I had to guess, it is on par to a work hubby or something. not really dating, but you flirt and get along well.

• I've seen it with a few other people and with the same guy with another girl before. I tend to shy away from that sort of thing myself because it's a bit ass-licky. You can't help when people tag you, but with some people I think it's a bit too much, it's of no consequence though.

• Thanks for mho!

What Girls Said 10

• I've noticed 3 actual couples on Gag. I wouldn't say gag relationships is a thing because I don't see them everywhere. Since I don't take the comment thread seriously, I don't assume two people are a couple just through the comment flirting.
    What you've noticed is just a popularity thing, lol. Nobody is going to randomly "Hollywood-Glam is my gag gf", because I ain't popular. Gag 'relationship' are usually nothing serious and false.

• randomly say**

Typo

• Meh, whatever floats their boats.

Internet bf/gf has existed for ages, it was all the rage when I was 16, lol.

• I guess I am behind the times, though that is not uncommon for me on the internet...

• I think they are fake couples most of them. It's been happening quite some time.

It's the advantages of being hidden. People forget you easily.

• Don't know what you're talking about. 🐢

• It doesn't exist. The only gag couple I know of that are MarkkyG123 and soccerchick. They met here and they are public about it.

• No idea, but I am not about that life.

• Can't say I've noticed it.

• It's not new it has been going on for years

• Never noticed it. I do see members flirting with each other though.

• I've never had an internet boyfriend. Where do I find one?
    Preferably one that isn't creepy or pervy.

What Guys Said 8

• I personally think it's pathetic and sad

• a lot of the "relationships" you see on the surface have nothing real/tangible behind them. It's largely just people pretending they have a connection with people... but they don't actually talk to them beyond what you see publicly... because people are too shy on here to even send a private message, generally speaking. So id say that gag relationships really aren't a thing, because there are hardly any real ones to speak of

• and that is why I tired to put it in '' . I think it is just for fun and for show, but still a rather strange thing to me. I never mistook it for being some real life relationship lol

• well, its not strange given how anti-social/anti-outside a lot of users on here can be. The internet becomes a lot of peoples social lives, and their primary source of interaction with other people

• The only ones I know are the real life couple Gray-Sailor and Gray-Sailors-Bride who met outside GaG and I think RainbowFanGirl real life B/F has an account as well.

• my gag 'wife' had like 6 husbands lol!
    it was a fun little thing, but yeah i think people take it a bit far sometimes

• I don't think it's a thing. D;

• No matter what but my balls are still hanging and are idle

• it's kinda sad to come to think of it

• No offense guys but it's the saddest thing ever.