Why does XPER takes 24 hours to appear?

Most Helpful Guy

• It probably updates at a certain time like when it is midnight or something in the time zone where GAG is centred. I don't know this is just a guess.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm assuming it's easier on their servers to do it once every 24 hours than constantly for thousands of users.

What Guys Said 2

• Per the FAQ: "Xper points are calculated nightly and can take up to 24-48 hours to appear on your account.

If your Xper points do not increase after that time frame, please note that an entry you submitted might have been removed, or a question/take that you shared your opinion on might have been removed.
    If you want further details regarding why your Xper points were not added to your total, please contact us."

• But why do they calculate nightly, why not instantly :/

• Since I am neither admin nor the programmer, I do not "know" the reason, but I can guess. Adjusting the "scores" of everybody every time there is a simple change is a very strong burden on the software. Plus, questions or opinions are often removed due to rule violations. If a question is removed, that also means the opinions are removed. So that adds even more heavy calculations (considering the thousands of people on here at any instant. It is much easier on the software to just do it once every day. Besides, there is no need for "instant points". And if you have noticed how G@G sometimes slows down, think how it would be if the software was trying to handle updates every few moments or instantaneously.

• The update of the pending value is probably handled by a batch task that runs every 24 hours and updates the pending changes. I'm not sure why it's not directly altered and retrieved, though. There must be some awkward ancient legacy system managing it.

What Girls Said 0