Would you like to see who upvotes your opinions?

We want your feedback! Would you like to be able to see who upvotes or downvotes your opinions? If so, would you also like to be notified when anyone up votes your opinion? Notifications would be optional, as they are now for "Asker/myTake owner" upvotes.

Let us know what you think by voting in the poll below and/or leaving an opinion :)

• I'd like to see who upvotes my opinions and also who downvotes them
  • I'd like to see who upvotes my opinions, but not who downvotes them
  • I don't want to see who upvotes or downvotes my opinions
  • I don't care/See results

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't like this idea. Not only would being able to see who downvotes create drama like @dangerDoge said but being able to see who upvoted other people can create also problems.

Like let's say I upvote someone but then someone who REALLY disagreed with the poster messages everyone who upvoted being like "WHY DID YOU UPVOTE THEM YOU"RE SO WRONG I"M GOING TO HARASS YOU ON THIS SITE FOR THE NEXT MONTH AT LEAST RAWR"

Not my idea of a good time. And you KNOW that would happen! People are nuts here. Sometimes it's better to not know some things.

Plus, I also don't want to see more clutter and more lag like @9mfeo said.

• I down voted you.

• An upvote from me! I'm sure little bruv would too, but he's now in hybernation for a while.

• I agree with you. If this happens I'm going to stop voting on opinions. I hate drama.

Most Helpful Guy

• I am a curious person, but please do not do this.

Here's why:
    -- Let's say you disagree with someone's opinion. *downvote* Oh look, now you got an angry message (comment or PM) from the opinion owner complaining why you downvoted him. Have fun with that.
    A LOT of angry rage fueled debates would start popping up around GAG.

-- All the past posts that you upvoted/downvoted with the feeling of safety are now exposed. "GAG crush game: Upvote if you have a crush on them!" *person upvoted them* Now your secret crush on whoever isn't so secret. :)

-- The clutter/site loading. The site is going to load slower taking into account all the new data I imagine. It would also look less clean and the format would need to change.

-- Many will be afraid to upvote/downvote. Sure, that is good I guess that maybe some trolls will stop downvoting everyone. But many won't stop -- why would they? They are often a level 1 person no one has heard of. They may not even post questions following the site anyway. Downvoting everyone isn't against the rules either, so all the people who downvote everyone will just keep getting away with, pissing people off, doing just what trolls like. By clicking their button, they will incite even more anger than by doing so anonymously.
    Many people will be afraid to upvote/downvote people's opinions because they'll be afraid of getting known to that person on their shitlist, or getting blocked, or whatever. People may upvote still and be fine, but then the upvoting system is ruined in its entirety. It'd he completely scewed and wouldn't give an accurate representation of the community's feels. If someone gives a crappy opinion, it should be downvoted so OP and people know "This is a crappy opinion. Don't follow the advice."
    ----
    I see the main benefit to come out of it to be to satisfy curiosity. This is the main point of it. People are curious.
    I'm a curious person too... But curiosity killed the cat. The amount of new founded rage that will be on GAG will be unreal. This may incite MORE troll behavior. Satisfying curiosity is not worth the negative consequences of this.

So please, powers that be, do not show upvote/downvote to opinions. Even if it is only showing to "your opinion," I forsee mostly negative events coming from this.
    It may work for facebook, where everyone is a supposed friend of you already and there is no downvote, but not GAG.

Often I'm indifferent to GAG updates, but this one would upset me, and that doesn't happen much.

• post questions following the site *rules*

• I have no time for this shiiit, I'm out 👋🏻

• @MissNowhere Mwhahaha until next time 😂

What Girls Said 71

• NO! Then this would turn into a more annoying version of Facebook.
    Anonymous option is important for people to say a lot of stuff. Up/down voting anonymously is vital way to express opinion. If you make it impossible for a person to up/down vote anonymously, number of voting will drastically decrease because people will think about "reputation" when voting, which will cause less feedback for the users, with less feedback, less activity, with less activity, less users.

Don't do it! You have no idea how many times I skipped commenting on someone's Opinion precisely because you are FORCING me to comment on it publicly.

• The only people who can enjoy this feature fully are politically correct douche bags who always hold the majority opinion and like to harass normal people in gangs with their brainlessness. Sadly they are a majority here, so maybe pleasing them looks like a good idea short term, but they'll chase away anyone with an IQ over a 100 and turn the worth of your site into dog poop.

Don't be like tumblr GaG. That'd be way too sad.

• Also you'll skew the reality behind worth of "unpopular opinions" and "popular opinions".

People who agree with an unpopular opinion will be even less likely to up-vote it because of fear of being ganged up on by indignant idiots. Also people who disagree with a popular opinion will be less likely to down-vote it because of that same fear.

Quickly this site will become a retard echo-chamber. It's always the retards who harass people over dissent instead of addressing points. I implore you, don't turn into fucking tumblr. Don't!

• i dunno GaGrs, this is only useful for people who give a shit about the 'hate' they get, which is really sad lol.
    when we get up votes by the dozen, no one really stops to think about who exactly gave them. however, when we get down votes, people wanna know who gave it to them. it's a down vote. eat it and get over it.

• id also like to add, that i think this is kinda low of the site if y'all were to go ahead with this. if this is really a COMMUNITY then dont contradict yourself by finding excuses to create divisions, because i assure u, even if up votes were seen, people would focus more on who down voted them.

• Exactly. I agree

• I can handle the criticism so I don't really care, but I still agree with your opinion @justbanANNAz, could cause a lot of unnecessary conflict

• Please no!!! I fear this could tear our beautiful community apart potentially. Or make it a popularity contest. I think it is fime with the asker upvoting your opinion. But the other way makes it too "facebookie" I appreciate GAG for not being like Facebook. Lets keep this place sweet and peaceful✌🌸✌keep it hippie always

• I'll love you so much if you'll make this a feature. 😂 It might not matter to some people, but if you're the kinda person who gets even 30+ downvotes now and then, you can't help but be curious who these people are. :o I'm also a super curious cat - I wanna know EVERYTHING. I'm all for it, there's definitely more pros than cons in my opinion.

• Well my suggestion was just the notifications part for all upvotes and downvotes, and even in that proposal I said that it should be optional, in which case it shouldn't matter because a person can simply disable it in the settings.

However, they took it to a new level and want to include being able to see who upvoted/downvoted which I've always wanted personally, but never suggested because it seemed like too optimistic of an idea that no one would agree with. To my surprise, the majority actually likes the idea according to the poll.

The advantage is that it will clear up the curiosity of who downvoted which can sometimes be significant. Like is this person known to be a politically incorrect asshole... in which case you can consider their downvote insignificant. It also will discourage random downvoting.

The disadvantage however, is the potential fights, drama, and people being less willing to vote because of judgment.

• Well, if they allowed us to see who does it, then those people may stop doing it.

• i think that a bad idea.. this will cause more drama.. people will not downvote honestly. i myself have a lot of down voters stalkers.. but still i think this is a bad one..

• I'm fine with upvotes but not downvotes. I personally think that it's stir chaos and cause more drama, tho it'd put an end to the downvoters that downvote for fun.

I mean, imagine you answering the question where it goes like "would you date me?" upvote if you will, downvote if you won't. It will definitely be awkward for the people to downvote you especially cause they know you and they wouldn't downvote honestly.

But if this thingy is really gonna be implemented, just let the opinion owner see lol. What if someone disagreed with that statement and could see that I upvote it, wouldn't they harass the hell out of everyone that does it?

• Honestly as curious as I am about it I'd rather not know because in the end it will only cause conflict. There's so many reasons why some people down vote simply because they don't get along and because others upvoted or down voted. I also feel like it could weird out peoples friendships if someone disagrees and they find out they down voted them. Or arguments can start if people find out who down voted on a question by leaving rude under the other persons opinions.

Trust me I've always wanted to who agrees with vs. who disagrees but privacy is a good thing like they say curiosity killed the cat. I guarantee you this will all go wrong.

• I'd like to see both. I think it would put an end to those people who just downvote everyone for fun.

• It would result in conflict and way more people would be getting blocked

• It would also show the "haters" who are downvoting every opinion on a question, as well as the ones who follow certain people just to downvote them every chance they get. Getting them off here would clear up a lot of nonsense and bad feelings.

• And still loving your smile. :-) :-) :-)

• No thats pretty useless. You should change the filter and search. Make it easier to use.

• I wanna say yes to seeing upvotes, but not sure to downvotes. I would like to think that I'd want to see who downvotes me, but it may cause issues in the long run.

• NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Please its annoying.

• No! I'm too young to deal with the drama! This is only going to cause more problems! So I agree with everyone that says no!

• I wouldn't mind it. I always seem to get at least 2 females who down vote me for no apparent reason. Would love to know who these lovely people are. 😉

• I wouldn't. I like the mystery. =)

• I think it would be a good idea to see who supports you and who doesn't agree with you. Would be interesting however there will obviously be increased tension and possible arguments sometimes between users. I'd give it a trial run!

• Seeing who upvotes my opinions, I'm indifferent about, but I'd rather leave the anonymity that comes with down votes. I don't care to see who down votes me and hope it doesn't become a feature on GaG in the future.

• ONLY the upvotes.
    That will bring smiles.

Please do NOT show who downvotes.

• HAHAHA option A! That would be hella awesome! Maybe not the notifications for every single time someone who upvotes and downvotes you (like the asker notification one) that thing was annoying! But receiving upvotes and downvotes and seeing who they are from would be.. amusing.

• Suure XD I don't see why not :D so yea, i'd very much like to see who upvotes and downvotes my opinions. And yes, i'd also like it if I get notifies as well :p

• it doesn't really matter. People who gloat about it are the ones paranoid who are the users here downvting them since they are here 24/7

• I think if it shows down votes, there'll be a lot of arguments. Some people would tag their down voters and show their displeasure. It would be better if they only showed up-votes and hid the down votes.

• I pay no attention to either so I don't care either way.

• I don't care enough, honestly. Won't that make the site load slowly?

• From reading the opinions, I can tell that many don't want to see the downvotes because of drama and because that's the majority's choice I'm assuming that we will never get to see the downvotes. That's fine it's their choice.
    Personally I would prefer seeing the upvotes and downvotes but I'm okay if I got to see just the upvotes or didn't get to see neither. I'm fine with either of the options gag decides to put.
    I love the idea earning an xper every time an asker upvotes but I'm against the idea of receiving a notification of that every time as I find it annoying.

• I voted D.

• Knowing who is downvoting will lead to a lot of antagonistic posts. This is NOT in the best interests of GAG or GAGers!

• i voted for option A

• I couldn't care less

• I don't but @girlsaskguys can we undo them because sometimes I accidentally downvote

• I'd like to see both but I voted for just upvotes. This is because I don't want to get attacked for downvoting someone's opinion because I can almost guarantee that will happen extremely often and to many people.

• More from Girls
    41

What Guys Said 77

• I say no. Allow people to have the anonymity to upvote and downvote as they please.

Revealing the identities of upvoters and downvoters will only cause trouble and animosity. Also less people would upvote and downvote, therefore killing off this entire feature.

Please. Do. Not. Make. This. Change. #SugarOnTop #DontKillGaG

• the curiosity is always there to know who upvotes and downvotes you on certain things... but one thing i should point out to people who are making a quick judgement on this is that the site itself would likely be a different one if you took away peoples voting anonymity. I mean, if you removed the anonymous function on GaG, do you suspect that there would be as many ridiculous, nonsensical questions and opinions floating about that are made by anonymously to avoid their usernames being ridiculed? There probably would be a noticeable drop. Likewise, if you allow people to see all who upvotes an downvotes, there would likely be a significant drop in voting altogether. For things you may have gotten an average of 3 - 4 downvotes in the past for, you may get none now... because without anonymity, most people are spineless

• and also consider your own voting history, and if people had the ability to go back and see what you've upvoted and downvoted in the past, how that may affect the friendships you've made in the present. All these things should be considered before you make a choice one way or the other

• Yeah, most people seem to only view this from their own perspectives.

• I agree. I'd definitely be the one to go back to look and see older downvotes and I know I probably won't like what I see. I definitely forsee it causing drama.

• if we were able to see, how exactly do we see? I don't mind the system the way it is right now, but I wouldn't mind if I was able to see upvotes either. I swing both ways, BUT if we are able to see who upvotes, please make it collapsible so that it doesn't stretch the page with a list of usernames.

• I don't really care either way personally, I don't really concern myself with up and down votes in general. But I feel like that would discourage up voting of certain things for some people (which maybe we'd all appreciate in some circumstances). I guess more often than not it wouldn't matter, and I'm drawing a blank on specific examples, but maybe something controversial, or maybe sexual in nature. I suck at actually voting things up or down, and I don't expect anyone to bother themselves with that for me if they don't want to, haha, but as a feature that the site obviously wants to have, that's a potential "con" you might want to consider.

• Also, anything that doesn't notify us over an up vote, by the asker or whoever, would definitely get two thumbs up from me👍👍

• Yes, I think that may scare some of the troll downvoters who just downvote anyone just because.
    I personally wouldn't have the notifications turned on, but you can add that for those who want it, as long as you can turn it on and off, it won't harm anyone to add that option.

• I think it is a good idea because I am always on the lookout for likeminded people. One of the things I love about GaG is finding interesting people , checking out their questions/takes/opinions because they are usually interested in same thing I am - I find myself commenting on same stuff they do, that way I am never short of a question to comment on. Seeing the downvotes is just fairness in my view only the arrogant want to see upvotes and to hear how great they are.

• Some people are saying that if this came to fruition that it would possibly ruin some GAG friendships around here.

But would it really do that or do some people just wanna PROTECT their GAG reps with dear life... as if they really even matter outside of GAG?

Since for #1 "anyone can paint themselves as an ANGEL around here via posting non-combative response 24/7" and for #2 "anyone can post ANON while saying anything that they want, right? While being a trollish #GAGdevil behind the scenes". So if that's the case why would take anybody here seriously? Just some #FoodForThought ^_^

But you see nobody wants to be known as the latter of those #2 said things up there. Which is why they're so against it IMHO. Since everyone would FINALLY have A NAME to put to the WORDS (trollish/hateful comments). Which would follow ___ for the rest of their time here, right?^_^

Heck, here's a prime example right here if ya ask me

"Don't do it! You have no idea how many times I skipped commenting on someone's Opinion precisely because you are FORCING me to comment on it publicly." #FaceFuckingPalm!!! So basically that person wanted the right to talk shit If I'm right while being an ANON coward about it. Ya know just like with most of this community (even though we're all ANON in 1 way or another, right?) -_-.

Overall this feature would make GAG fun because I'd finally know who was the people downvoting on this or that question without every telling me why ever!!! 98% of the time -_-.
    i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif

• So if they wouldn't tell me + decided to downvote me on every question for no fucking reason at all... I'd just "block them" right there on the spot. Since it's pretty obvious that they don't like me + we'll know that most GAGers don't have any balls to begin with to confront you as to why they don't like you in the 1st place, right?

So fuck... please bring this feature ^_^

• I don't think it's a good idea. It seems like it would only cause trouble and make things seem like a popularity contest. Plus, if you could see who downvoted you... I could see that getting ugly. Basically if people knew, I feel that some people would just start trolling each other. Trolling really does eat away at a website's sense of community.

For me it doesn't matter, I've been upvoted and downvoted before, and I still use the site because I still have questions. A downvoted opinion can still have good advice, it just depends on the point of view of the person reading it. But I could see this feature causing problems for a lot of people.

• Initially I voted yes but after reading some of the other responses, Im leaning towards no.

Most people will be to cowardly to upvote controversial opinions that they agree with or downvote popular opinions that they disagree with. It will just be a circle jerk where only the popular politically correct opinions will get upvotes. Also imagine how much more annoying those "tag your favorite gagger" questions will become when you see like 15 names under the upvotes collum.

• Maybe who up votes you but I feel if you allow people to see who has down voted you that it will only start more fights and abuse on GAG. GAG already has a major problem with that as it is.

• I also think that all upvoted notifications should be able to be turned off, including upvotes from the asker of the question.

• I have mixed feelings, on the one hand people won't be as honest with them but then they might be more honest because they would then most likely have to explain there actions (I personally dislike when people down vote me with out any kind of explanation, its understandable if it was inappropriate or something of that nature but I tend to write much so that misunderstandings won't arise so It always puzzles me that they can't explain there reasonings) but in the end it will likely result in "revenge" down voting and more drama then I think it would actually be worth.

• I can imagine this would cause some uproar at least. Best to keep it the way it is.

• Exactly. That is also the reason (or at least one of the reasons) why Facebook still doesn't have a dislike button.

• You know what this means don't you? Up and down vote notifications :P

• Yes @GirlsAskGuys i highly like the idea and i wish you would do this for us also there has been people coming on my Opinion leaving rude, distasteful, offensive remarks i would kindly appreciate that you would please do something about that too.. Since i joined GaG
    I've given lot time on here helping people and being positive minded as positive

Thank You So Much ,

JustinCaseUDontKnow
    ( Darren)

• *positive minded as possible

• @RedRain Thank you :)
      I will do so cause there is lot more than me getting
      this is happening too.

• @GirlsAskGuys I got over 100 people blocked on here due to harassment coming on my opinions... I'm so done with this website and when i delete my account and leave GaG I will contact Law enforcement to do something about all the harassment , cyberbullying , pornographic images i saw on here all the harassment i will let them handle it and will file a police report against you as well as this website.

• Absolutely not. That'll just turn the site into some kind of weird popularity contest. It should be completely anonymous. I can also see down votes turning into a vengeance thing - with people down voting people who down voted them first.

• Showing who down votes opinions, might cause many mini confrontations, i am against that, but i think it would be nice to see who up votes it :)

• Nah. GaG already started giving me too much information with that whole "Asker Upvote Notification" thingy.

• I'll still downvote whoever I want!

Bring it Tolga! ❤

www.kizlarsoruyor.com/.../q3961704-goruslerinizi-kimlerin-oyladigini-gormek-ister-misiniz

• Just the upvotes. I'm pretty sure revealing those who downvote others will cause unnecessary drama.

• I'd rather see who down voted me, then I can go after them and their families.

• No that'll just cause more drama and drama is for facebook not here. When I downvote someone I usually leave a comment stating why I think their post is wrong. If I downvote you you'll know it.

• No nonknono pls no. I don't want this shit to be like facebook. Don't do that mistake

• Yes!!! Please!

This will boost activity on GaG by farrrr.

This NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

And MHO disability

• Can you explain what you mean by MHO disability?

• @xHoneyxBeex I like that. "MHO disability."

• ^^ sorry just meant that as a general comment on @QooLipBite 's ideas. :)

• I imagine more drama could appear but that is only guessing... there is only one way to find out.. In the name of science.. I ENDORSE THIS MOVEMENT!

• I personally voted B), that's how many sites do it.

• I don't care about all that you should instead add a feature to show who has blocked you cause I am sick and tired of answering a long question or someone's opinion and click send and only to find out that they had blocked me.

• I'd like to see it.
    Would be really interesting.
    As for people seeing me down vote someone I don't care. I down vote when I disagree with an opinion not because I don't like the person.
    @MissNowhere is the perfect example. When I agree with her point I'll give it a like. When I disagree with it I'll give it a dislike.

• I absolutely do not want to see who upvotes or downvotes. I like tht as it is. Just a tally, or votes. Not a personal thing with name. If you want the opinion owner to know you up/down voted, a user can simply leave a comment.
    I VOTE NO!

• I really don't care about who up/down votes my opinions but I definitely wouldn't want to be notified it'd be annoying. It's pointless to know actually. Even the asker one is just useless info.

• More from Guys
    47