Should G@G get rid of the downvote button?

Would it be good or bad? Without a downvote button, like YouTube, would it cause more people to state what they think about your opinion instead of just clicking the downvote without an explaination? Would it change G@G for the better or the worse? What do you think?

I'm tired of being downvoted without an explanation. I want to know WHY you didn't agree with what I said. I dunno if getting rid of it would be a good idea or not, but what do you guys think?

• Yes, they should get rid of the downvote button.
  • No, they should NOT get rid of the downvote button.
  • I don't care either way.
Okay, I agree with the point that you're making as to why we shouldn't care.

Most Helpful Guy

• No downvote button? That sounds like politically correct fascism! #TerroristAttack

• bro it seems like nowadays a lot of users want this site to acquire the same features as Reddit. last week someone posted an article stating that he/she wishes this site give us the ability to upvotes or downvotes too.

either way i hope the administrators are smart enough to ignore these ideas as i think this site will be doomed if it becomes the next Reddit. but coming to the conclusion i think right now as we speak we are having a Reddit invasion

• upvotes or downvotes comments too*

Most Helpful Girl

• I think the notion of wanting people to explain why they don't agree with you or why they are not upvoting/liking your opinion is egotistical. Almost as if one thinks their opinion is so outstanding and undeniably right that they can't handle it not being liked, cosigned with, or agreed with so they want an explanation. I think that's a weakness. We live in a society where people place too much value on 'likes'. If you stop and think, it's crazy how many people use social media in order to collect a bunch of "likes" that are essentially worthless and pointless where it really matters.

I get downvoted all the time and I can sincerely say I don't give a fuq. I don't need people to like what I have to say or agree with me. My confidence is not so fragile that I can't handle a few downvotes or even 100 downvotes. No offense, but I think you're too sensitive if you feel the need to know WHY someone disagrees with you. Almost as if your self-esteem or ego is punctured when someone disagrees.

• Okay. Sorry for even asking this.

• Muchas gracias

What Guys Said 13

• It shouldn't be gotten rid of, but it should be changed to where when you downvote a little box pops up forcing you to explain why you downvoted. Some people downvote cause they simply don't like the particular user or they simply downvote for no reason. Tho their are users who down vote by accident especially when G@Ging on their phone/tablet.

• Well, that could get tedious but I see your point.

• It wouldn't be that tedious if done right. It could simply show up as an opinion comment, and to tell the difference between it an a regular comment it would say "Downvoted" under the users name.

• youtube has both a like/dislike button for video and comments.

• Yes, they should get rid of the downvote button i would be satisfied
    honestly , i don't downvote people and i think this has become a
    issue on here.

• I get downvoted all the time. It hurts, but if someone's downvoting me, then perhaps my opinion hurt them, too. So, it let's me know if my opinion had an effect on someone. My opinions aren't terrible, though. Some people make troll downvotes. Just ignore the downvotes, but cherish the upvotes. The upvotes are people who support you. I would like an opinion from whoever downvotes me, but I think they're far more intimidated by my response to their opinions. Some people on GaG need to get permanently banned, though. They leave extremely rude comments, but the GaG moderators don't take down their comments. I guess the GaG moderators have their favorites here. That's quite disappointing. So much for equality.

• I try to flag comments but the admins sometimes leave them up. I understand. Thanks.

• I understand both sides of this.

• I dont see why. is not like your xper points get deducted every time you get a downvote

• NAHHHHHHHHHHH

• no, that's definitely not a change to make.

• No, I think it's useful, they should also add neutral button for the people who are indifferent about the opinion or a comment.

• No non onnono fuck facebook

• Facebook has a dislike button now.

• What I still dislike is that gag keeps me down from telling what I think, I got 2 messages a few minutes ago about how rude I was also gag didn't get my suicide joke and told me to call the suicide line. Like wtf

• Yeah they're just trying to help but still.

• Nah you gotta love them haters haha

• Yes it's not politically correct and makes me sad😠

Do I get a trophy for my answer?

• Agree on downvoting without explanation part but on other hand... why do you even care? People say, "Don't care what others think, live your life the way you want to." and this is fucking internet community. It'll be gone someday. Don't sweat over downvotes. Enjoy them ;)

• I dunno. It just annoys me. Some people just do it to be funny. :P They abuse it but I agree with your point.

• Aww you don't have to be sorry sweetie ☺️ Don't say sorry when you did nothing wrong.

• Okay... I apologize too much. 😌

What Girls Said 5

• No, downvotes are wonderful, they're the only arousing thing on GAG

• so you always get an explanation why someone upvoted?
    that sounds redundant actually.

Obviously if they upvote, is because they like or agree
    if they downvote it's quite the opposite. Which part of that needs more explanation?

The entire world will not always agree with you. That's life.
    Besides, as if a down vote or a hundred down-votes actually affect anybody at all? It's too weird to see people actually cry about this...

• I'm not crying about it. :P I just like discussing things with people and I want to be enlightened with different opinions. i don't care either way I just want to know what you think.

• I agree. It seems like some GAG users use the upvote/downvote system for personal validation.

• I don't really mind being downvoted lol I've literally been downvoted for the most ridiculous shit on here already like answering a 'how are you' question with 'I'm good thank you' so I really don't care anymore, haters gonna hate :P

• No that's the only true way that we're able to express our opinions about everyone else's opinions without having to leave a comment each and every time. It's also a representation of our privacy.

• I think it depends to be honest. Some people like me don't care at all if you downvote my opinion. Others tend to take it WAY too seriously lol. But my advice to them would be just to ignore your naysayers and just be yourself.