Do you use the GAG upvoting/downvoting system to validate your pride, worth, or the general value of your answers?

Our modern society places way too much value on 'likes': being liked, cosigned, and agreed with by people who won't even be there to have your back if your house burns down tonight. People who will not even cross your mind on your deathbed and genuinely have no major significance to anything in your life besides your ego. This is why it doesn't make very much sense for someone to place excessive emphasis on how many downvotes or upvotes they receive. The most important defining factor is that some grateful person somewhere who was struggling walked away with a solution or a remedy to their troubles or is now more aware because of what you shared in your answer. That's what makes GAG answers valuable not so much the number of people who liked or dislike what you had to say. Yet I'm noticing quite a few GAG users who seem unnerved and flustered if they receive downvotes. So it makes me wonder, do you use the GAG upvoting/downvoting system to validate your pride, worth, and/or the general value of your answers? Be honest.

• Yes, I do.
  • No, I do not.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, yeah. For me, it's about improvement.

I do not know what parts of me are valuable and what are not. For that, I need someone else's perspective, and the voting system gives me that perspective.

I am constantly seeking improvement, and I won't know what to improve without opinions.

Life is a competition, and I want to win. The goals might be different for different people, but the race is still the same. I want to be smart. I want to be considerate. I want to be witty. And this is all considered in comparison to other people.

And yeah, I want more up votes/opinions than other people. It tells me that whatever I'm doing is worthwhile. If I don't have them, then it means I'm not good enough and need to change.

Most Helpful Girl

• I use it because i'm petty, not gonna lie.

What Guys Said 6

• I give my honest opinions on G@G. People are free to react in any way they choose.
    I value upvotes. Downvotes hold no power over me.

• As sad and pathetic this will make me look, I will admit - yes, I do.

Although unless I'm convinced otherwise, I still do stick to my heavily downvoted opinions.

• Why do you place so much value on 'likes'?

• But why do you act like your worth is dependent on how many people are admiring you or finding your thinking flawed?

• Don't look to others, especially complete strangers, to validate your sense of value. You don't need random people online to cosign and approve your opinions.

• I am sure at least at one point on here we have all done that to some extent. Although surprisingly I rarely downvote and I never block people.

• i hardly ever upvote people

• No, I don't do that.

• I get no sense worth or value from this site.

I come here to amuse and entertain myself. that's all.

What Girls Said 4

• No, nobody on this gives a rat's arse about me so it's not important.

• Whether I get up votes or down votes, I wrote what I wrote and have confidence in my opinion, so while having someone agree or get your sarcasm is nice, it has no affect on how I feel about myself or answers.
    It more so affects how I see others. Like, “People are narrow-minded” or “People are cool.”

• nope. these people have never met me.

• I rarely vote either way.