New system to catch CATFISH on GaG?

How do you identify a catfish on GaG? There seems to be more men pretending to be women than the other way round, but nobody can tell that either, but only assume.

People will assume it's because of the way they talk or the things they say, but that only opens room for another point. Aren't you generalising by saying how a certain gender should talk or what things a certain gender should say? People are different.

Yes, there are men who are feminists and yes there are women who stick up far for men.

I propose an idea for GaG specifically for this:

People have to take a picture of themselves holding a notebook or a piece of paper with their GaG name written on it and @ GirlsAskGuys written on the paper and put that photo in a special location in their profile, much like a profile picture just in a different spot.

People who do this will gain a special membership status that will have it's own name. Perhaps "Validated Member" or "Special Member" or "Verified Gender Member" and perhaps make them gain Xper slightly more than normal members. That's the only difference between them. Normal members will not be cripped at all and whoever chooses not to do it will simply not do it.

This is a website where opposite genders ask each other questions and what catfishes do is destroy the purpose of this site.

I am aware that things can get photoshopped and it's unavoidable, but it still beats having no system at all. Another concern is transexuals or genderless people, which I think should be taken into consideration. People should be able to choose in addition to being a guy or girl that they are genderless or transexual.

If you want to take extra steps further (not necessary) you could have girls in the photos wear pink and guys wear blue, or just simply ask them to gesture something with their hands or fingers to represent a symbol of GaG. I know this sounds ridiculous, but this extra step is something I feel I should throw off along with everything I written here for the sake of completionism.

• Yes
  • No
  • Other

What Girls Said 6

• That seems like a lot more effort than most people care about :/

• People don't have to do this if they don't want to. Normal members would stay uncrippled. This is for gaining a special trusted status on your GaG account and simply for contributing to a better and more trusted GaG society.

• That would be kinda cool actually but I don't think we could literally get everyone to do it as some people on here might just be shy & not wanna show their faces as there are so many users without any display pics on here

And then if you're suspicious about someone you can always still just reverse search their imagine to check it that way..

• As I stated in my post, not everyone has to do it, only people who want to, and those who do, get a special members badge :]

• I just don't think it's really necessary.

• Are you saying it's too much work?

• I just don't think the issue is as important as you do.

• Calex, yeah, I was saying that you can't rely on this or any other website (or book, or newspaper, or...), at least not all of it. There are gems on GAG occasionally that make it worth using but none of them are gender-specific. You have got to approach GAG (and everything else in life) in an evaluative manner. Most people don't; all people should. If you do that, then frankly it doesn't matter whether what you're reading was posted by a guy or a girl, or if they were being honest. You'll take the value from the comment and the information alone, as you deem suitable.

• I'd do it but honestly I post enough pictures that I'm pretty sure no one suspects me of anything lol. I think the good catfishes would find a way around it.

• There are always ways around things, but I think I posted the most major ones and how to counter them, which I believe would make things at least 60% more convenient than things are right now regarding catfishes and fake members.

It really hurts the website's purpose when you don't know who to trust.

• @red_arrow glad you pointed that out to me. I bet you're one heck of a fisherman. 😝

• No, I am not, but given the right incentive, I could become one real quick. lol

• It would never happen GAG already has way to many people that are always anon. You can even sign up totally anon so I hear.

• We did this already. Quite a few months ago. I participated in it.

• I didn't know about this. What happened and why did it get taken down?

• Oh, you mean that someone threw this idea at GaG before me? Interesting, it seems I'm not the only one thinking the same.

• Yes. When the big Sandplanet catfish went down we all verified ourselves.

What Guys Said 9

• I don't know what a catfish is, but there are plenty of people pretending to be the other gender, and even more people misrepresenting their age, which I would call a bigger concern, and then there are people hiding their fantasies behind a reasonable question, like taking advantage of their fetish being so banal, like do you like to take advantage of morning wood, then rolling around in the grimy details of each answer, soaking themselves through their shorts.
    What can you do about it? I don't know.

• Seems kind of shitty that i be penalized in regards to Xper earnings for not wanting to upload a picture of grotesque face+body onto the internet...

• It's not being penalized, it's just being awarded for taking extra steps.

• Yes, You can get free stuff with certain amounts, At the top right, Click on your name, Then click ''Xper'' and you can redeem it on stuff, For example, 7,000Xper gets you a $20 amazon voucher.

And, Catfishes are easy to spot, Normally their account will contain an overly slutty picture (Which you can just drag onto your desktop, Then google search the image by clicking on google images, Clicking the photo button, Then inserting the picture there, And it will tell you were the photo originally came from, Allowing you to see if its a catfish who just stole someone elses photo)

And, Also, There account is usually made within the past couple days.

Its not hard to spot them when you know how to check.

• Thanks.

It just doesn't really work if they have no profile picture or their profile picture is like a landscape or something.

• Damn man you really want to have online sex that you want something to remove fake people haha take a cold shower man

• I'm not sure if you're trolling or misunderstood the post, but going by the latter
      I'll state again: "This is a website where opposite genders ask each other questions and what catfishes do is destroy the purpose of this site."

If I ask girls a question, and guys disguised as girls give me a reply, then that's a fake reply and it's misleading. I want real answers from real girls, not answers from man-girls.

• Dude. Photoshop. If someone wants to badly enough, they can maintain the charade for a long, long time.

• You're making a mountain out of a non-issue. This isn't like you're doing an AMA where it'd be a factor. IAmA needs to verify, gag doesn't lol

• Copy their picture and drop it in the google image search box, the original link to that picture will show and let you know who's picture it belongs to, the more links the higher the chance that person is using a fake pic...

• Yeah, but that doesn't always work as people can make images unidentifyable by altering them. There's also websites which allow you to do reverse image search, but they don't always work, and you never know.

There's ways to also screenshot an image and use it as an entirely new one with no links attached. I know it sounds paranoid.

• You must be an expert, coming from a non avi poster...

• You mean I am a catfish? No way lol. There are little to no female members that actually pretend to be male on this website. The reason I don't post my real pictures on this website is because I simply don't want my friends finding me using this site. It's just awkward for me.

• I dont know why Anyone cares if someone is a catch fish or not.

• It destroys the purpose of the site. If I am asking girls a question, I want real girls to answer, not men disguised as girls with misleading information.

• Like 90 percent or more are not cat fishes so you have nothing to worry about. Most will be girls opinions.

• Yeah, but it causes paranoia for more alert people like me and makes me wonder if it's really a catfish or not. I can't be certain that 90% is even the correct amount anymore. It seems to be a "thing" here nowadays.

• No, nobody should have to put a picture of themselves

• They don't have to. It's optional, if they want to be a special member.

• Why does it matter who's real? Their opinions are what matter

• I've been asked this question so many times in this topic already lol, I'll just copy paste it:

That's the purpose of this site. To get answers from the opposite gender.

• What about trans persons, do you think it's appropriate for them to sign up as the gender they identify as? Some of them won't be classified as that gender from a photo.

• You will find I already covered that in my post :]

• Yes sorry, I wrote this after reading the first half and then went back.

I'm not sure how happy people would be about having to be in a separate category as a trans person. Also, what catfishes claiming to be trans?

• It's not as effective, I think.