Why do people go anonymous to say controversial things?

Look, I understand the use of the anonymous button, but why do people use it to say rude stuff? I mean if you have somethibg rude to say just say it, I dunno why you have to do so anonymously. Same with asking hateful questions or writing takes. The people ususally go anon. Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because there are plenty of over sensitive people on here that will just block you instead of debating the actual idea. Some that do it are being twats to be fair.
    I go anon on every answer though. It could be "what's your favorite ice cream flavor?"
    Doesn't matter.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because it takes longer for someone to freeze their account and/or they feel shame for the stupid things they say and don't want people to know it's them.

What Guys Said 12

• I also don't understand that logic, I see no logic in that one. I think they are not confident or brave enough to voice their opinions with their username.

• They're little bitches thats why!
    Too much of a bitch to say it without going anonymous!

With that said, I understand if they're using it for really personal issues.

• Generally speaking the advantageof being anonym is that your opinion is viewed for what it is much rather than for who you are. Just that on this website it is still visible if a guy or a girl answers.

Why people are rude on anon? Probably because they fear the echo themselves.

• Because they are ignorant ! They talk bs and don't want to own up to their actions , behaviour or mouth !
    Like the questions they ask about sex etc. Or say thrre virgins annomously.
    Don't want to feel embarrassed I guess. They shouldn't have annomous choices. U would see differant answers and questions for sure.

• You don't always want hating ass trolls following you around trolling your shit.

• Sometimes you dont want to be attached to your comment - its not that someone is afraid - because in essence everyone is annoymous, its just a username different from being annoymous. Its more so of having to continue with a negative association from the community

• Many people vent online, they either haven't figured out how to deal with their own emotions yet, or they just don't care to, so they come on here to cuss and spit and what not and they use anonymous to avoid getting a reputation for being childish or irritating.

• They're afraid of backlash probably.

• Because trolling. It's pathetic.

• I don't.
    Most likely because they are pussies and don't want it attributed to their profile.

• people don't want to get blocked

• many users here are unanonymous but still say many rude things

What Girls Said 14

• Because they're too lazy to handle anyone who may counter their argument and disagree. Either that, or their argument is just so shitty, they have no real idea of how to even defend it in the case that they don't get only praise.
    Hence they go anonymous to save face.

• I think it's because they've kept that rude thought bottled up inside for a while and want to let it out and see real peoples' reactions without facing the repercussions. We've all had mean thoughts at some point, and some of us still maintain the respect in anonymity.

• Ya thats kind of why I hit "no anonymous posts" so that if someone wants to be a dickface I can just spam them in messages or at least know who they are, because i'm honestly just like that.

• They don't want to have the repercussions of showing their usernames. If they say things anonymous, other users typically won't know who said what. If they show who they are, they might have people whom they consider friends here judge them or they might start getting hate on their own/other questions or opinions elsewhere. To stray away from that, it's easier to check off that anonymous box and share what they are feeling.

• because they dont have the balls to say it while attached to their identity.

• Well there's a difference in rude and controversial, rude is just being mean a lot of times, controversial just means a lot of people will disagree with you.

If I say something controversial then I go anonymous so that I don't get personally attacked through messages or anything. I never bother to just be plain rude, that's mean (note: unless people just think something is rude because I have a different opinion)

• That's how I feel. I think it's so sad to see users who everyone thinks is nice go Anonymous just to say something rude. On top of that they're not even smart enough to change how they normally type. If you're going to say it just own up to it.

• They are bitter people that want to take it out on others. So anon makes it so they can do it without people reporting them. That or pming them.

I wish they made it so you can block the anons that are pissing you off.

• Shame or scared? They shouldn't be. Fuck saving face.

• Because they're chicken shits.

• So they they can troll and bitch about everything without a care in the world.

• Hahaah because they pussies and agreed agreed lol

• I rarely go anonymous anymore :/

• For the lulz, probably.