Why does everyone over react towards the U16s?

Any sexual, body, crush question asked by someone under 16 is always answered with the classic "you're too young to be worrying about this" or "you're only a kid" comment. Why? What they are asking is perfectly normal, I know it's exactly what was running through my mind at that age. I know they shouldn't be worrying about a lot of the things but they will learn that eventually and realise when they are older.

I was 13 when I had my first boyfriend and first sexual encounter. This website would have been so helpful to me if I knew about it at that time. I don't think I was too young. I was discovering my sexuality and there is nothing wrong with that.

Do you agree we need to treat these under 16s like the young adults they are?

• Yes
  • No (please do explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• SMost of these teens don't have people in their life to give them the real skinny on sex and relationships.

GaG users should be open to giving them the advice they need but is hidden from them in real life. But too many 18+ users are worried about legal ramifications or being an enabler, if they give a minor advice about sex.

#ForShame

What Guys Said 11

• underage sex has been linked to many issues later down the line along with promiscuity so suggesting its natural and normal isn't exactly correct. I do think one should answer the questions as well as they can but their should also be warnings about the ramifications of those actions. Health wise you shouldn't be having sex under 18 years of age and definitely not when 13. Its been linked to promiscuity/increased divorce rates/depression etc. So their are negative consequences for it. The fact is they are not adults and we should not treat them as such. That doesn't mean that they should be treated with disrespect by any means but rather that they are in a state where they are biologicly predisposed towards riskier behavior with minimal though of the consequences this puts them in a situation where they do need some one to council them because they are far more likely to make a choice that is detrimental to them both in the immediate and in the future.

• Okay thank you for you're opinions in sorry to do this but it's "there" not "their"

• Yeah, despite being an avid reader I still fail at spelling especially when using "there". I apologize.

• They are treated exactly like the "young adults that they are". Which they aren't. People are not sufficiently mature to handle the severity of the situation they're tinkering with.

They should know about it, but they shouldn't be doing it.
    Or will their parents buy them their packs of condom, because they aren't even old enough to be legally working yet?

• I had friends having sex at 13 there were a lot of people at my school that were. Practicing safe sex is not wrong. Giving condoms to your 13 year old is not wrong. I'd rather that then them not using protection. If they're gonna have sex they're gonna have sex there is nothing you can do to stop it so you may as well make sure that if they are they're doing it safely

• "" If they're gonna have sex they're gonna have sex there is nothing you can do to stop it ""

Well you can socialize them to think that they should be more mature for that and then they would not want to have sex until they're like 16.

• That doesn't always work. My parents taught me that, you wait for the one, someone you love when you feel mature enough etc. But I didn't realise that I wanted to wait until I was 14 about to have sex with my first boyfriend.

• My reason is young adults shouldn't be into sex or serious relationship because they should be focused on school and career goals. When young people start doing grown up things then, they have to make grown up decisions. From my experience when I was young teen. I decided to not go to college out of town right out of high school because my girlfriend didn't want me to leave.
    So it don't see anything wrong with young people asking questions because we all need help but, if had one wish. It would be for young people to focused on school and career so they can become successful and then find them a good person to be with.

• I think you should be treated how you act, regardless of age.

Sure they shouldn't be worried about it, but telling them that's not going to help anything. There much older people asking questions about things they also shouldn't be worried about either, it's a poor excuse.

• In this world of Fox News and The Daily Mail, giving advice on sexual subjects to underage kids risks you getting labeled a pedophile.

• There are Under-16s on here? I didn't know, I hardly ever look at ages. Anyway small print, you know.

• Young adults are 18-25 roughly, depending on who you talk to. I do not mind teenagers asking these questions but I feel as if they are trying to grow up to fast.

• I think what everyone needs to realise is that kids have access to internet so much easier these days, And they are also maturing a lot faster.

• I didn't say it does. Sorry if you miss read what I was trying to say. Kids in general are maturing at a younger age (going through puberty at a younger age).

AND they have easier access to internet which they can look things up on and discover sex (in the worst way imo)

• Going through puberty younger is more to do with nutrition and it does not equal maturity. Yes they can look things up on the net, but so did I. Do not remember exactly but it was around 12ish I think. There is better access to information but that does not mean their brain is maturing any faster. What bothers me is the information they think they are learning could be wrong but do not have the maturity to discern that.

• yes I agree with you

• I sometimes try to give direct factual information.

In other cases I've tried to say things like describe why they should wait, but also say 'this is how things are likely to be when you're in your 20's'.

Other times I don't answer.

Some people are just over-reacting, some are trying to not be inappropriate.

• Why should girls be having sex at 13, is the better question? If there's no GOOD reason, there's your answer

• Why should girls or guys be having sex at any age? (Besides to conceive)

1. Pleasure.
      2. Exploration.

• I'm not fighting with immature brat, bye

• There's a VERY big difference between being immature and being educated.

• If I ever have kids at 13 I'm gonna sit them down and explain everything to them from puberty for both sexes to what the names on sex toys are to proper anal procedures to the basics of how to have safe kinky sex and what is more normal then they think you need information to make proper dissision you wouldn't choose who to vote for in the next election by what bob the guy that fuels up your car at the gas station said and I wouldn't want my kids making there sexual dissision uninformed either

• I think you should be discussing puberty earlier than 13 more like 8-10

• Ya true

• But I live in Alberta Canada so the school system is preaty good at that part of the education

What Girls Said 4

• I mainly have a hard time with it because I have a 13 going on 14 year old sister so when I see those posts (especially if their heavily sexual or something) I can't get out of the mindset that theyre the same age as my sister. My sister has crushes but she finds dating weird and would rather have a bunch of friends. So I guess I have a mix of thinking of her and stepping into her shoes when I see those that I wouldn't think of my sister asking.

• Everyone is different I'm sure she has friends in her group that could be experimenting. I have a 10 year old sister and I thought she was super innocent knew nothing about sex until I saw her tablets internet history. I freaked out at first but then I realised that at the same age my friends and I were looking this stuff up on our phones (Yes using up the credit to find out what a penis looked like)

• I agree that kids need to learn but I also think there's a certain age and maturity level to it too, especially to act on it.

• Every kid is different. But you can usually judge it by your own experience. E. g. I started puberty at 9 as did my sister as did my mum. So you kinda know the right age to start talking about the different things.

• Personally I think 13/14 IS too young to have a boyfriend and be doing sexual things, at that age you're not emotionally mature enough to really handle it and, yes you are still a child then. But I think 16 is a good age to start thinking about that sort of thing.

• I say yes since I'm 16, but honestly it depends on the person. Some young people like me are mature enough to talk to older people about sex, but some aren't so it's not like you can generalize without doing someone a disservice.

• no, because they are annoying. the questions they ask are usually pretty dumb, and are usually about things they they shouldn't worry about until they're older. and they're hardly 'young adults' they are preteens.