Why do people automatically assume that people with suicidal thoughts want to go on killing sprees?

I've never understood this. I've been having reoccuring suicidal thoughts, though I know I'd never go through with them. It is when I am overwhelmed and emotional pain takes me over. I don't tell my dad, stepmom, friends, or anyone because anytime that I've went out of my comfort zone to tell someone, I've felt like a burden, so I carry it inside. Plus, I'm 23, live on my own, and I'm an adult.

Today, I've been overwhelmed and just wanted someone to talk to. I post on an online anonymous app and people start dogging me and saying I'm a threat to society and that the police should handle me. All because I said I wanted to escape my emotional pain and wished I had the courage to end my own life.

The reason I'm in such emotional anguish is the abuse I suffered growing up. I would NEVER want to hurt someone. I actually have a hard time being assertive in my profession and get walked over a lot because I can't even be tough with people. Why on earth would I want to hurt someone and make them hurt like I do?

It's so frustrating to feel misunderstood and then to be made to sound like a killer, all because I'm depressed? Depression doesn't make you kill people. Having SERIOUS personality disorders does.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think people are so quick to judge people in a negative way. When you do open up to for advice or help they want to bad talk you to make you feel like you are all alone. I think you just have to ask the right person to talk to and go from there for help. I hope you are feeling better and you are not under a lot stress anymore.

Most Helpful Girl

• They think acting like that will make it look like they care. But they don't.
    Cowards. They have no idea.
    Just ignore.

What Guys Said 2

• I guess the trend seems to suggest that... hard to fight trend...

• Maybe the only knowledge they know of suicidal thoughts comes from the news where someone depressed goes on a killing spree.

• I think you're right. The media is obviously succeeding at its agenda to make depressed people seem like dangerous, armed individuals who are going to go on a killing spree at any moment. The lack of understanding or knowledge in society about the darkness that is depression can really be quite depressing itself. Most of us aren't murderers, just sad, hurt people who can't seem to make it back into the light that is happiness.

What Girls Said 3

• that's so bizarre. I didn't know that was a common assumption. wanting to kill yourself =/= wanting to kill others. im so sorry for you though. you should consider finding a therapist or something - someone who is unbiased and paid to listen to you haha I see one and it's very helpful 😊 good luck stay strong!

• It's very disheartening and actually made my mood worse. Is this what society is coming to? Thinking that people who hurt are monsters with guns? I know the media has played up these shooters as depressed, but they were obviously severely disordered minds. I really want to start seeing a professional soon. I will have more time because I won't be so overwhelmed at work. I have to start somewhere and I know they can help. Thank you! Stay strong yourself! :)

• Literally I feel like ima go on a killing spree all the time. Everyone does. But deffo not because of them sort of thoughts. Only because people deserve it and are annoying as sh*t 😂😂

• I think the people you are referring to who made those comments aren't normal or have no common sense because they could have easily searched online for information concerning depression. Don't let it get to you and ignore what they say. You should consider talking to a doctor or a therapist to find a way to heal from the abuse you suffered.