I need help stupid gag phantom notification?

I've been trying every way possible to try and see what message is actually there. Nothing seems to work. Any clues or am I just doomed?

• I can help you (insert comment on how)
  • Your doomed
For some odd reason the mention that is being a phantom doesn't exist in my notifications for a while.

Most Helpful Guy

• They're doing it on purpose for the Halloween season :D

"There have always been ghosts in the machine. . . random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul. . . . Why is it that when some robots are left in the dark they will seek the light? Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space they will group together rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behavior? Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth? When does a personality simulation become the bitter moat of the soul?"

^tl;dr SkyNet is taking over. We are all gonna die.

Most Helpful Girl

• Is it a mention? If so, I can help you with that.

•Go through your mentions and click all of the mentions and then you should be able to see who mentioned you.

•If that doesn't work, notify an admin and they will report it as a glitch. Good luck!

What Guys Said 12

• This has been happening on GAG to a majority of the users. It will tell you there is a message or new opinion when there is not. I have had it happen many times. The only thing you can do is ignore it and it should eventually go away.

• this usually happens if users manually tag and don't use the reply button. only way to get it away is to open the respective question. you have to go through your old opinions.

tell that person to use the reply button instead. had that today too...

• I'm doomed too.

• This has happened a long time ago in the past as well its a bug. I got this like 2 days ago then it went away by itself lol try contacting @girlsaskguys

• Yeah, you're doomed... it's a Mention that didn't get bound to your mentions list, so you get a notification about it, but you won't see it unless you actually navigate to that particular question. I really wonder what whoever wanted to tell me, but it clearly did not work.

• its been happening to me for the last 10 - 15 minutes -_- i just try to pop into whatever conversation I've recently had

• You have to perform an exorcism and you obviously have a ghost that needs busting. Who you gonna call? Ghost Bu...

• If you hold the rabbit ears just right it should take care of the problem.

• Just look through all of your previous options until it goes away.

• Most of the times this ghost notification appears when someone has mentioned you... so you'll have to see your opinion comments and check if you have commented on someone's opinion and they've replied back by tagging/mentioning you

• I just got one 5 min ago you have to keep searching everywhere then You will find your tag and it goes away

• That makes two now back to back I found it fast though

• Not really my OCDness drives me crazy and wants to get rid of the 1 notification bubble.

• Well thats you for me I want to know who tagged me and what they said plus I want to get rid of that notification so I would rather search it out then have that thing going on non stop for days at a time. I Ignored it one time and it lasted for 3 days and I even reported it to take it off and it took so long

• Am i the only one not getting phantom notifications? The closest thing that happens to me is that i get a notification for a new opinion on a question, then the new opinion doesn't show up highlighted and i have to go through the opinions to find the new one. but its there.

What Girls Said 6

• Is it a phantom mention? I just got one of those and am opening tabs of all my past mentions, hoping that'll fix the glitch but to no avail. :/

• I guess so since that part is lit up as well. I've checked both places and I can't find the message. :(

• oh god... now I have TWO phantom notifications. x_x

• Until it decides to go away, you're doomed.

I was taken to an answer and comments that weren't even mine.

And a lot of times it says I have a notification, and I don't.

So far nothing works. So, I wait it out.

• You are just doomed.

• What I've found may help is to go through your recent opinions or opinions comments. That's usually where you've received messages or been tagged. However, when someone mentions you in an option on a post you haven't seen, that's an issue. That's when it takes me forever to find where the notification is coming from.

Good luck searching!

• Hi, Mustachekitteh! Are you still having this issue?

• So far they have gone away for now. Right after this question i found it but then it happened again soon after. :D

It was weird since even though I know which mentions were recent and could have been. It had completely disappeared. So even if I could hunt for it I wouldn't have found it until it some how showed up.

• :) Ok, if it happens again, can you please let me know so I can report it? It must be a glitch. Let me also know which device and broswer you're using. Thanks!

• kk and thank you. :) I'm using google chrome.

• Happened to most users.

Contact the help desk.