Do you like that GAG picks your MHO for you after 30 days?

I absolutely hate that the GAG system picks my MHO for me. I've asked questions before that had 1 or 2 people respond with like two word answers and because no one else answered they got MHO. I wait for answers on my questions because I hate giving undeserved MHOs especially when someone else comes along right after and gives a much better answer. But I can't wait any more. I hate that I'm forced to give MHOs in 30 days. Sometimes all opinions are unhelpful and I feel like it's unfair for GAG to force me to give points for them.

• Yes I love that feature
  • No I hate that feature

Most Helpful Girl

• This is from GaG FAQ:

"If, after 30 days, you haven't chosen and selected Most Helpful opinion per each gender, one will automatically be chosen for you.
    Neither the Question Asker nor the user awarded Most Helpful will get Xper points for these automatic selections.
    Automatic MHOs are chosen per gender based on engagement: votes, comments, length, time, xper level, among other criteria. As long as you're giving helpful opinions, we'll find them!"

Given that neither get Xper, i don't see the point of automatic MHO

Most Helpful Guy

• To be honest I never thought it out as far as you did - I agree with you there should be no automatic MHO and the culture should be that the MHO is awarded to most deserving answer and not awarded if no answer fulfils criteria. I suppose people don't like the idea of going through a question again to pick a MHO so often will award it quickly or not at all. I personally always wait 24 hours at least to give most people a chance to respond maybe you should be allowed to change your MHO.

What Girls Said 5

• i do lol, because i almost NEVER pick MHO. i dont even remember the last time i did that. so hey if GaG wants to use my question to increase someone's MH percentage, be my guest!

• I don't mind if, but I have always chosen MHO on my own before the 30 day period is up. I understand what you're saying, though.

• am fine with it

• No that feature sucks. If I don't pick MH it's because nothing was MH.

• "Sometimes all opinions are unhelpful and I feel like it's unfair for GAG to force me to give points for them."

No one gets any points when an MHO is automatically chosen.

• Then what's the point of forcing MHOs then?

• On the flip-side of your situation where people give half-assed answers, there are others who put a lot of thought and effort into their responses, only for the question asker to disappear and never choose MHO. So it can work in their favor sometimes. It's true that most people here though want to pick the MHOs themselves and they don't like to see answers that they wouldn't have picked chosen automatically by the system. So it's also a way to try to encourage the askers to make those choices.

• I put a lot of work into my answers. And when people leave it blank it has zero effect on anything but when the system chooses it shrinks my MHO rating if someone else gets chosen. Now of course that's not something I care much about cause I mean it's just GAG but I just can't see any benefit in letting a machine doing the picking over just letting it sit there unchosen. It doesn't make you feel like your effort was appreciated when a machine just picks it arbitrarily. And how many people are really checking back in on a question hoping thier answer gets picked? Most don't even know when a question goes months without an MHO why not just leave it that way instead of pressuring people to choose.

What Guys Said 3

• This is not true any more. Only the asker has to pick MHO now, no matter how old the question is.

• Then why is the computer still picking MHOs for me. When did this change?

• Beats me! I'm unaware of how this auto MHO works these days! :P

• I think the Most Helpful Guy and Girl caused some confusion - I am assuming that autos are being given when no MHO is being picked but I have been getting manual Most Helpful Guy from months ago but again I am presuming Most Helpful Girl was original MHO awarded ages ago.

• hahaha they do? wow didn't know that

• It really does? what the hell!