When people ask How Do I Look questions, do you REALLY tell the person if they're ugly?

On here, we all know that there is an armada of "How do I look?" "Rate me, plz?" "HOW'S MY ASS?" And from what I've noticed, they never seem to get criticizm, and when I'm blunt about it, I get criticized.

Are you ever actually brutally honest to someone when they don't look good? And do you post How Do I Look questions, knowing that they will all respond good, for feeling good?

• Yes, of course! Common courtesy, IDIOT!
  • No, of course not! Honesty is the best policy, honey!
  • Other, please!

Most Helpful Girl

• I just don't answer, haha. I look at the picture, and then I quietly go back to the live feed. I don't think it's bad to be honest, but there is a difference between being honest and just being rude. But even so, unless they put up a little warning or something (like "please be nice"), they should be prepared for rude answers as well, because they literally are asking after all.

• They're the ones asking for the rates!

• I know, and I'm not saying you shouldn't rate them a 3/10 or whatever if that's how you feel (although going into great detail about why they're hideous and no one will ever want them is unnecessary), but they're probably doing it because they feel insecure and either want reassurance and support, or want someone to confirm their fears so they can continue basking in their low self-esteem. I refuse to reassure them dishonestly, but I don't want to contribute to their self-hatred either, even if they're asking for it.

• I will say that I'm actually more annoyed by people who lie and say the asker is pretty even when they don't mean it. I get that they're trying to be nice, it's a social thing, but they're just making it so that even the genuine compliments are totally meaningless.

Most Helpful Guy

• That is the worst type of HDIL question for me - I try to find someway of not lying to them without crushing them, it probably turns out as a bland middle of the road answer but hopefully if there is a chance to give constructive criticism I will take it.

What Girls Said 9

• Lol, I either don't answer or I tell them the truth. That they are attractive. The only thing is that, while I may not find them attractive, someone else will. So in the end, they are attractive. To someone.

• Indeed I am blunt. But I don't just "Ew ugly".

• If its some one I know I post this.https://coub.com/view/63upu

• i say it straightforwardly

• I think that's the best way to go.

• i mean they're posting their pics and asking for out opinions... so its only fair to be honest with them

• I don't say UGLY, no, but I think I already said, not my type

• This is why I avoid these questions.

• If I find them unattractive I just don't answer.

• If I have nothing nice to say I don't say anything at all, I just don't answer the question. My opinion on how they look doesn't matter either way, so why say something that's going to make them feel bad about themselves? I won't lie either though.

What Guys Said 10

• I usually ignore them. Why do you care what strangers, people you will probably NEVER meet, think of you? Can't you just be confident in yourself, and be YOU and know that NOBODY can be YOU, like YOU?
    If you love yourself, and are confident in yourself, who cares what strangers think?

• I feel ya! Thing is, I guess I just like the reputation I have on GAG and would like to keep it

• Wait, I thought "Yes, of course!" meant "Yes, of course I really tell the person if they're ugly".

But in the second option you say "Honesty is the best policy", but letting someone know if they're ugly IS honesty... so... what?

• No, I don't really tell them that. However I never lie to them, just to give them hope or to make them happy.

• Honestly, I take the approach advocated by Thumper's dad and the anonymous user above - "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all".
    Obviously that's going to skew the results a bit (which is why sites like HotOrNot usually normalize ratings) - but so what? I don't see any harm in letting people feel a bit better about the way they look.

• I've told overweight people that they are overweight and I've told people that they're below average if they are below average. I don't explicitly say "you're ugly" though.

• If that's what I actually think then yes honestly is the best policy and if I thought they were the hottest thing ever I would tell the too they have the right to know.

• I've been extremely honest on this site and have paid the price for it xD

• Rate me bro!!

• I'm also blunt it, I also ask how do I look questions to see if what I think about my look is right

• yes, i do.