Should we be able to send a message to inactive users, to ask them where they are and encourage them to resume posting?

Usually when someone goes silent they will leave Gag. Should we be able to message them, even if they have a private profile, if they have been inactive, say, for a month, just so we can encourage them to return?

This would be limited to ONE message from a given user... to avoid trolling or harassment.
Often, I think people wouldn't leave if they knew they were missed!

Most Helpful Guy

• This isn't a bad idea, hopefully though their account is linked to an active e-mail. I say this because whenever I comment, and then somebody has something to add to what I said then I get an e-mail telling me something has happened, which encourages me to come back and then interact with the other members. While it is true I can't speak for all members, but I believe that perhaps some of the other members might come back with the extra positive feedback. :-)

• Yes, exactly; usually they could be reached through their e mail, which we wouldn't of course be able to see.. we'd just know their user name.

What Girls Said 5

• There is a reason why a user chooses to have a private profile. But if you are on their friends list, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to message them. I personally leave people alone though

• But if they are on the way out, why not have the ability to unprivatize them, just once, to encourage them to stay if you like their answers or questions?

• I'd leave them alone..

• Everyone has their opinion, but I'm asking if Gag should have it available as an option for those of us who WANT to use it.

So many Gag users are solipsists, who can't think of anything but THEIR opinion. What about the rest of us?

• No..

if they left us...

fuck em

• No that's seems pointless

• Yesssssss we should!

• I think we should be able to, but if theyre not on then they won't get the message...

What Guys Said 1